High prolactin and keto diet

Hi! I am wondering if anyone out there has a history of high prolactin and or a prolactinoma. I had a prolactinoma removed about 8 years ago. I continue to get MRIs and they come back clear every time to rule out a re-growth. I still have high prolactin and discharge. Since my surgery I’ve stayed on cabergoline and birth control. About two years ago I decided I wanted some answers and or solutions to all this. I stopped the birth control and the discharge came back in full force within a week. I found a new doctor that will test anything I want and thyroid, addrinal glands all that is fine. I do have poly cystic ovaries, that’s all that was found and the high prolactin and discharge. He tried me on bromocriptine and that was awful. It didn’t work at all. Then he put me back on a higher dose of cabergoline. That also didn’t work. I went back on the pill and was taking the higher dose of cabergoline at this time and was still having discharge.

About a month ago I decided I was going to try a ketogenic diet. I also added some vitamins to my current daily vitamins I take that I’ve read help with high prolactin. I started taking vitamin e 250 mg and zinc… (blanking on the dose and not at home). The zinc I’ve noticed if you take too much you will feel nauseous so I take one tablet. In the month I’ve been doing this the discharge has been a lot better, I would say 60% better. I don’t know if it would be due to the diet or vitamins as I started both at the same time. I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience in this area and any success stories.

I should also note at this time I am not taking cabergoline or bromocriptine and am only on the birth control pill. I’ve also noticed in the month I’ve gotten my period a week early twice.

(Carl Keller) #2

Hello Dani.

I did a forum search for prolactinoma and came up with this:

And I also found an article about a woman who had a prolactinoma tumor removed and lost 28 kgs after the fact. Her instagram info is in the article if you wish to contact her. Generally, keto people who have healed are open and fairly sensitive to others who are going through what they went through.

Hope this helps.

(Liz Ellen) #3

I have a prolactinoma and also a history of high prolactin. Mine is controlled with cabergoline. I don’t know what affect keto has had on my prolactinoma. I will be getting labs next month, so we’ll see. I’m hopeful everything looks OK because this WOE has been very successful for me. Down at least 20, feeling great and in control. Hoping to keto on into the foreseeable future.

I will say, my cycles have been extra nuts since starting keto. More PMS and longer periods. Hope this shakes itself out. Good luck to you!

(Bunny) #4

Have you tried supplements with your doctors approval?

Hormones that decrease prolactin:

Supplements that decrease prolactin:

DHEA will increase with a ketogenic diet!