"High" meat? ( rotten )

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

I recall learning about something called whistling steak back in college. A flank of meat was hung by a tree limb and let rot. At the point the slime built up enough and began to drip off the meat, it would make a whistling sound in the wind.
That’s when they knew it was ready to consume.

Sorry, none for me thank you. Maybe those limp bacon people might find it appealing. :face_vomiting:

Wish I hadn’t read about this so early in my day. Was feeling a bit off this morning and came in for some inspiration. Think I’ll stick to cheese and eggs today!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #7

This is the tread people on EF need to read. Stay off the What didn’t you Keto today thread.

(Chris) #8

I’m up for trying it. Who’s got a seal and a few dozen seabirds?

I’m such a newbie. Can you please tell me what EF is? And those birds, although not at all rotten, yeah, think I’ll pass on that as well.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #10

Here you go :wink:

Thanks so much for the helpful link! I’m also not very savvy with using my own tablet or these forums, but I’m learning slow and sporadically. Like my weight loss. I’m one of the old postmenopausal newbies

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #12

No trouble. 5 years of tech support for all kinds of things/services/products. :wink:

So should you have the need for help just shoot me a message :nerd_face:

@M_Graham_S I saw that show too! I remember she talked the kids into eating the chicken cooked, and they got so sick after that the Dad insisted they never eat cooked meat again haha!

all our good meat is is a bit rotten, (hung for days, or dry aged) it does make it it better and more tender. Eating old slimmy meat can be made better on the nose, wash it in white vinegar or salt bath, you might be surprised how good it actually is.

(karen) #15

Cooked some bacon that seemed a bit slimy the other day. It smelled ok when it was raw but as it cooked it got more and more unpleasant, hubs said it smelled like feet. I tasted a tiny bit of it and it was strange, not ghastly but sort of tasteless. Decided this wasn’t an experiment I needed to make.

(TJ Borden) #16

As sad as it is to see bacon go to waste, of probably made the right call.

This high meat isnt like your typical spoiled meat in fridge,its outside and positioned such that the whole meat surface area have access to fresh air.The kind of bacteria that grow on the meat make difference in taste and toxicity

(Bunny) #18

More like beef jerky!

Fermented meat would be good too?

(Ken) #19

Interesting topic. If you look back in history a hundred years or so this was common. Tastes have clearly changed, as well as technology, as freezing is now common. Back then all they could do when transporting meat was either salt it or pack it in ice. During the Market Hunting days of the late nineteenth century, massive amounts of game, mainly birds, were shipped in barrels full of ice to the big cities. It was so plentiful that game birds were actually cheaper than chicken. Even after a few days on ice during transport and at the Market, people would often hang the birds for additional time to enhance the Game’s flavor.

This was also during the time that fried brain sandwiches were a popular convenience food at lunchtime.

(TJ Borden) #20

Also something I think I’ll pass on.

(Leslie Gardner) #21

Hmmm. I can’t find fried brain sandwich in MFP. How many carbs does it have?

(TJ Borden) #22

:joy::joy::joy:

(Ken) #23

Speaking of brains, I’ve recently found a source for whole, fresh, cow’s heads. I’m going to try my hand at Barbacoa.

(TJ Borden) #24

:no_mouth:… congrats???