"High" meat? ( rotten )

(Leslie Gardner) #21

Hmmm. I can’t find fried brain sandwich in MFP. How many carbs does it have?

(TJ Borden) #22

:joy::joy::joy:

(Ken) #23

Speaking of brains, I’ve recently found a source for whole, fresh, cow’s heads. I’m going to try my hand at Barbacoa.

(TJ Borden) #24

:no_mouth:… congrats???

(TJ Borden) #26

So first, let’s relax a bit.

Second, neither brains or cows heads ARE the subject of the thread, so your beef (see what I did there) shouldn’t be with me.

(Char Bonin) #27

Love that lol

(Laurie) #28

I’m 65, and I remember when meat was hung to age as a matter of course. I’m talking supermarket meat. My father said he remembered “high” meat being considered the best kind, but that was before my time. My father was raised in a city, so I’m not talking some backwater eccentricity.

Then about 30 years ago I said something about this to an acquaintance who worked in a supermarket. She was familiar with the practice, but she said they didn’t do it any more.

Nowadays they have other ways of tenderizing and flavorizing meat, including injection with salt water, seaweed (a tenderizer) or other things. It also makes it heavier so they can charge more!

Here in the uk they have started making a big thing about many day dry ‘aged’ beef

Like this

As a quality and flavour benefitting sales pitch.
But that is a totally different thing from how game birds used to be ‘hung’ on porches and in cool (not refrigerated) meat safes until the meat tenderises and a better flavour develops
http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk/livestock/meat-from-the-wild/hanging-and-skinning-pheasants

But both of those are completely different from ‘high’ meat. And i’m guessing (no personal experience and no intention of getting it!). That there is a huge chasm between fermented probiotic meats and rotten putrid meats. I expect that any food that has ever been sealed in plastic or pasteurised or exposed to preservatives, soaked, steam blasted or similar, will fall into the rotten group, just like unpasteurised milk goes ‘sour’ (delicious and useful for cooking) while pasteurised milk goes honkingly putrid (best chucked ASAP).

(Chris) #30

This poor forum has issues with necroposts…

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #31

Aged beef in a refrigerator is very good and tender and expensive, you can still buy the t at expensive butcher shops, but slimy meat not aged in a refrigerator​:nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

As I grew up all our hunts and animal butchers, (always did our own cows, my job at the age of 10 was to dig the tongue out of the skull). We would hang the meat for weeks and weeks, until very dark and hard on the exterior, this was the best tasting meat ever, If I could ever find space in the fridge will try to dry age some again.

Just came from the meat shop bought some sirloin steaks with a nice 1/4 inch layer of fat on them, then lady working the counter wanted to cut me fresh ones because the steaks on display in the cooler where turning that dark color. I was "no no please give me the ugly ones!!

(Alex ) #33

“high meat” is definitely not for me, but it can’t be any worse than that casu marzu cheese they make in Sardinia, where they leave it out for ages, and allow flies to lay eggs in the cheese to make the it taste and feel a certain way… then serve!

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #34

My brother bought a cheap small fridge and ages beef in it. He has a huge barbecue the day he feels that it has aged enough. Everybody loves it. Says it is the most tender and best tasting meat.

I Know a guy that take meat and wraps it in tinfoil and leaves it on the counter for a week, he swears by the benefits to tenderness and flavor

Just not sure that cheese is for me. I think that tradition started when some dumb ass left the cheese out and flies got into it and he was forced to eat it to teach a lesson. And in that persons state of defiance goes oh darn that is so good!

(Alex ) #37

@Alley

yep! rather than accept his/her bosses telling off for forgetting to bring the cheese back inside the house - they started a f.cking Sardinian tradition!

I know a very crazy Corsican lady, maybe it is maggots in the brain, would explain things

(Alex ) #39

anything is possible!

(Charles Mitchard) #40

The worse part of cooking game that was well hung was the stench, the taste was excellent.
Many a pot of jugged hare was made when I first started in the trade and I hated it from the smell but surprisingly after a few tastes it became a desired flavour.

(Fifty) #41

This thread reminded me of a show I saw years ago that had a segment about a guy who claimed he cured his cancer by eating “high meat”. Googled around a bit and found the show I saw, Ripley’s Believe It or Not. His name was Aajonus Vonderplanitz and sounds like he started the “Primal Diet” based on that experience. Here’s the segment I watched https://youtu.be/xxvszzgYRjU

Not buying what he was selling. “Was” because he died a few years ago when his second story balcony collapsed.