High ketones after 5 days

(EJ) #1

Is it normal after 4 days of keto I was showing ketones over 1. At day 5 I’m over 3. Curiously I also have glucose in the 110-125 level. I guess I was under the impression that ketones and glucose would show an inverse relationship.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #2

Not always. Two completely separate things. Sorta!

(Candy Lind) #4

If your using pee sticks, it’s pretty irrelevant. They show you ketones that your body’s wasting. It’s early days; if you are limiting your carbs, not eating too much protein, and eating plenty of fat in place of the carbs you eliminated, that BG will come down. Make sure you’re getting a lot of salt and drinking plenty of water, and KCKO. Once your glycogen stores are depleted, the magic will start to happen.

(Allan L) #5

Are you taking exogenous ketones? This is the only time they would usually both be high.

(Lonnie Hedley) #6

I was under the impression ketoacidosis is when they’re both high. But just how high I do not know.

(EJ) #7

I’m testing blood, and no exogenous ketones. I was probably 15 hours fasted when I got the reading over 3. My glucose is about where it was pre keto, so I’m not really concerned. I feel great and hunger is in check. I guess I was just very surprised that my body reacted so quickly with the ketone production and want to be sure I’ll not causing any harm.