High Ketone Levels - more carbs needed?

(Jonah) #1

Hi everyone,

I’ve been on Keto for two months now, mainly for mental health reasons (not trying to lose weight). Really feeling the benefits of the diet which I’m psyched about.

I use a Ketone Breath Meter every day to check my levels. For most of the two months I have been in the 2.70-3.00 range (optimal zone), but within the last week my levels have climbed as high as 6.00, and seem to be a lot closer to the higher scores on average.

I haven’t done anything differently in the last week, except I did go on a 4 hour hike and the day after my levels were higher. It’s been very hot out where I live so I have been drinking a lot more water than normal too.

Any suggestions on what I could do to reduce my levels? Would increasing my carb intake lower levels or kick me out of ketosis? I don’t have diabetes or any related issue and I don’t drink.

All the best,

• J

(Allie) #2

It’s no problem, relax.
That old “optimal ketone level” chart needs to be consigned to history now.

(Jonah) #3

Thanks :), that’s comforting, and would you mind expanding on that point a little bit so a newbie like myself understands? Or pointing me to somewhere with more information on the topic?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

High ketones may be much more helpful in this situation as ketones improve brain clarity and function. Therapeutic levels for ketones are higher than dietary ketosis. I think you’re doing excellent. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jonah) #5

Ok awesome! So is there any point at which I should begin to worry, IE if my levels get in the 7-9 range, or are these measures somewhat obsolete as @Shortstuff said?

If your levels get that high I recommend eating. That’s usually a sign you haven’t eaten enough.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

Do not worry about ketoacidosis from eating a ketogenic diet. They are two different things that only have keto as a part of the word because both involve ketones. Ketoacidosis is when dangerous levels of glucose build up in the blood with inadequate insulin response. This creates an acidic PH in the blood that’s very harmful to your organs and vascular system. Ketosis is the absence of high glucose and so your blood won’t become acidic from dietary ketosis. I think you’re lucky to have achieved such high levels effortlessly as you’re doing this for improved brain function. My son is autistic and keto, we don’t test but MCT oil and lots of coconut oil seem to make him sharper. He amazed me doing some puzzles on my kindle yesterday that I though for sure he wouldn’t be able to grasp. I think keto is clearing his head and improving several aspects of his brain functions and cognitive abilities. I don’t think he would have had the patience and clarity to do those puzzles as successfully as he did before keto.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #8

Breath ketones are different from blood ketones. The chart is based on blood ketones, not breath ketones. Don’t worry about the chart. The main time to worry about ketones is if one is T1 diabetic and you have both high ketones and high glucose (or any other time high ketones would actually constitute a medical emergency). Don’t stress. :slight_smile:

*I’m not a doctor. Always consult your own doctor for advice about your specific medical needs.

(Allie) #9

High ketones are only cause for concern if you’re diabetic and also have high blood glucose.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

What product are you using? The numbers you quote suggest you are using a breathalyzer designed to measure %BAC. It measures Breath Acetone (BrAce) only because of a fluke in the sensor, it can’t distinguish acetone from ethanol/propanol. If you are using such a device, the numbers are meaningless. I tried to calibrate such a device against my Ketonix and gave up because the numbers exhibited such wide ranges of values, they could mean anything.

BrAce, which is measured in parts per million (ppm) changes constantly. To get any meaningful information you need to take samples multiple times per day in order to see trends. Even then interpretation is not straight-forward.

(Jonah) #11

I’ve been using the Ketone Breath Meter

All of the reviews I’ve read say it is extremely accurate. I test myself three times a day normally just to make sure. As you and others point out though, important to be skeptical of the numbers.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #12

This is what BrAce samples actually look like over the course of the several days:

You are perfectly fine. I wouldn’t worry unless your levels go over 16+ then I would see my doctor. Unless your diabetic their level of ketones are 20-36mmol so you are doing really good keep up the good work that’s awesome!