High glucose level until I eat, does it mean my body uses proteins?

(Olivier) #1

Hi I am Olivier,
First post here, I am 53 and 103kg for 184cm (or 213 lbs and 6 0,45.
I started monitoring my weight end of July and was 109.2 kg yesterday it was 102,8 kg.
I started monitoring glucose and ketones last Friday.
I started with 82 and 1.6 (I was eating protein shakes with berries and lots of nuts for at a month so I was probably in ketosis for a while before I started Keto diet and monitored my meal.
Saturday morning my glucose test showed 101 and 1.8 for ketones at 10am then 113 and 2.6 at 12:30 (no meal)
Then fell down to 83 and 1.4 1h after eating and 86 1.9 3h after eating
At 19:30 glucose was 75 and ketones 2.3.

First I thought I had contaminated the strip but this morning at 9:00 glucose raised to 98 and ketones felt to 0.9 then at 11am glucose is higher at 120 and ketones 1.1 (before meal)
I am fasting 16:8.

Does that mean something? Does it mean my body uses proteins to make glucose until I supply more fat? Then should I eat earlier like a fatty breakfast?

Not really obsessed, just need to understand how body works.
I read lots of posts and understand that high level in the morning is common but still does not understand why.

Thanks for your help

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #2

Hi Oliver
I’ll welcome you to the Forum :blush: But I’m new too so will wait for others to respond to your questions.
One thing I will add - Go easy on the nuts and berries, you can enjoy a few but it can easily get out of hand.

(Olivier) #3

Hey Peter,
I did this diet 10y ago and it worked fine but I was not trying to be in Keto zone :wink:
Since I learned fruits contains lots of carbs, I was naive thinking fruits is always good and healthy sugar.
I am not afraid of fat just difficult to get that much.
I am cooking seashells with coconut cream and paprika and still struggle to get enough fat :rofl:

(Betsy) #4

Before you eat your body might be putting out a little extra cortisol.

" Cortisol raises blood sugar by releasing stored glucose.

(Olivier) #5

Hi Betsy,

Tegan’s for your feedback.

I know but it should be back to normal after 2 or 3h.
At 2pm it is still 105.
I getting a bulletproof coffee I will check after 30 or 60 min and I am pretty sure glucose will be back to 80 range.

(Betsy) #6

Do you mean at 2pm it’s still 105 if you haven’t eaten?

Seashells? Like Pasta?

(Robin) #8

Watch those protein shakes, nuts and fruit. Sneaky little devils.

(Olivier) #9

Right.
After bulletproof coffee glucose is back to 85 and ketones 1.8.
So for me it seems it is not as easy as glucose falls and keto rises :wink:
So it matches what I excepted even if I don’t understand why.

Tomorrow I try to eat before 9am fasting more than 12h but less than 16 and check if glucose falls right away

(Olivier) #10

Nope, just « fruits de mer » mussels

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

First of all, welcome to the forums!

Summary: if you are truly keeping your carb intake low, trust your body. But carbs can sneak into our diet, so if you’d llke help ferreting out hidden carbs, we can help.

Now, on to the biology: The point of a ketogenic diet is to lower insulin levels to the point where it becomes possible to mobilise our excess fat to be metabolised. This requires minimising carbohydrate intake, because carbohydrates are nothing more than glucose molecules bonded together in various ways, so that eating them significantly raises our serum glucose. And that excess of glucose needs to be driven from the blood (or it will cause significant damage, and can even be fatal), which is one of the many jobs of insulin.

Unfortunately, one of the things elevated insulin causes to happen with that extra glucose is to make the adipocytes (fat cells) store it as fat, and not let it out until insulin drops. And on a high-carb diet, it never does drop. But, while ketones are valuable both as fuel for the body and as signaling hormones with many beneficial effects throughout the body, they are also valuable as an indication that our insulin level is sufficiently low, since elevated insulin inhibits ketogenesis. The ketone bodies are amazing molecules.

As you have guessed, in the absence of dietary glucose (carbohydrate), the liver does use a certain amount of the amino acids (protein) we eat to make the small amount of glucose that the body actually requires (about 1 U.S. teaspoon circulating at any given time). But this process is highly regulated, and is more determined by demand than by the supply of protein. However, as you have also guessed, if we do not eat enough fat to produce the needed ketones from, the liver makes extra glucose to feed the brain.

The brain loves ketones, and will use them to the extent that they are available, so it makes sense to avoid damaging our brains with too much glucose and insulin by making sure that ketones are available at all times (this means eating fat, of course, since there is a limit to how much fat can be consumed from our fat stores in a day).

Also, since fatty acids are too large to pass the blood-brain barrier, the brain also uses ketones to make the fatty acids it needs (the brain is made largely of fat, and a surprising percentage of that is cholesterol). Cholesterol, in particular, is required for the proper transmission of nerve impulses, so a high-carb diet not only damages brain cells directly, it also interferes with nerve impulses. This is why a number of researchers believe that a ketogenic diet can be of great help to people with mental health problems and those with motor-neuron diseases.

'So keep your carb intake strictly limited, eat enough protein for your body’s structural needs, and consume enough fat to provide energy for the body’s activities. Trust that your body knows what it’s doing. And, as mentioned above, if you suspect that carbohydrate might be sneaking into your diet, we can help you figure it out.

(Olivier) #12

Right.
See my post below I made mistake while replying.

(Olivier) #13

Thanks Paul and all
I guess I forgot to mention I eat around 20g of carbs for a week. I try to match the 70/25/5 ratio on my keto diet.
Today I should end the day with
Protein 84.2g
Fat 141.3g
Carbs 7.6g
My best day since I started( I spent some hours cooking low carb meals to get stock in the fridge)
I use lots of olives as snack I love them😉

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

Sixteen hundred calories is starvation level. You need to eat more. As long as you are keeping your carb intake so strictly limited, you have no need to worry about calories.

At first you may need to eat a frighteningly large amount of food. That happened to me. But suddenly, after a few weeks, my appetite dropped, because insulin had stopped interfering and making me hungry. After that point, I shed 36 kg of fat without exercise or calorie-counting. I followed the experts’ advice and kept carbs limited and ate protein and fat to satiety.

(Bob M) #15

Yet another knife into CICO. :wink:

(Olivier) #16

What is CICO?
Sorry not native English speaker, French speaking and English at work 100% :wink:

(Bob M) #17

CICO = calories in, calories out. It is an idea that if you eat “more calories” than go “out”, you gain weight; if you keep calories the same, but exercise, you increase the “calories out” and lose weight.

The problem is that when you start looking at studies, everything is way more complex than a simple equation.

This is one example. If you eat too few calories, the theory is that your body shuts down and doesn’t want to reduce weight, whereas if you eat more, your body will reduce weight.

And don’t worry about not being a native English speaker – That was my fault for speaking in acronyms. Many of my clients are overseas (Finland, England, Germany, France, Poland, etc.), and I am always amazed at how good their English is. I will tell you right now, my French is abysmal.

(Olivier) #18

Paul
I Will try to eat more.
I was used to eat once a day around 10/11pm after work but I realised I was eating to big portions because after work and so long time you want yo enjoy your meal again and again.
Big pasta plate, big curry rice.
I was 76kg when I was training (speed skating) I finished at 116kg.
I started wing foiling and believe me I struggled to find a wetsuit I could wear so I decide to change my living habits.
I started with what I did before and always wanted to get a glucose tester to track how the body reacts but then I found keto and intermittent fasting info and I switched to these as I think it match my believes and way of life so I could continue for ever.

Up to now it is not difficult for me it is just that cutting carbs requires lots of research on foods and recipes.
I am lucky because I love advocado, coconut cream, fishes, spices, macadamia nuts, cauliflower

Life is great

That! Watch your carbs and eat everything else until you are sated, as much and as often as it takes. If you put your body in starvation mode, all you will lose is your metabolism, not your weight. Eat to your heart’s content.

(Olivier) #20

Thanks time for me too eat thenđŸ€Ł