High glucose level until I eat, does it mean my body uses proteins?

(Olivier) #21

Is it better to wait at least 3h between meals or if does not matters as long as carbs stay low?

(Betsy) #22

Seeing what happens if you eat before 9am is a good idea.

What is your native language? Your English is very good.

Look up “cortisol blocks insulin”.

If the bulletproof coffee shuts of cortisol then insulin 

:woman_shrugging:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

Soyez le bienvenu!

I won’t inflict my French on you; your English is so much better. But I asked a French professor once about how to say “I’m full” in French, and she said that her observation was that Americans generally say, “I’m full,” whereas the French generally say, “J’en ai eu assez.” That latter attitude is what you’re aiming for on a ketogenic diet.

If you are still new to a keto diet, don’t try to fast just yet. Your body needs food, so give it to it. When you start forgetting to eat, because you simply aren’t hungry, that’s the time to experiment with fasting. It works for some people, while others do better not trying to fast. But everyone can usually manage quite a long fast between the last meal of one day and the first meal of the next day.

When eating a ketogenic diet, eat enough at each meal that you can go several hours until the next one. Don’t eat according to the clock, eat to assuage your hunger. If you must have a snack, make it a keto one–some pork rinds (cicciaroni), pepperoni, prosciutto, bacon, a nice hard, aged cheese (although I’m awfully partial to Brie, myself)–and then eat more at the next meal. As long as you are keeping your carbohydrate intake low, your serum glucose, and hence your insulin, will remain low and you will remain in ketosis. (Carbohydrates are not named glucides for nothing, lol!)

French doctors have known that too much sugar, grains, and starchy foods cause obesity since the time of Claude Bernard in the early 18th century. Brillat-Savarin also mentions this in Le Physiognomie du goĂ»t. It’s time we got back to the diet they recommended.

1600 kcal is great for many of us, too much for some with tiny energy need and it’s likely that it’s somewhat little for you
 Or way too little. As no one can tell from your stats your energy need (not like it isn’t subject to change ;)), we can’t say more I am afraid.
Of course you don’t want to overeat for various reasons. But most of you lucky folks don’t need to worry about it much, apparently.

Carbs can do that to many of us
 It may be different if you try keto food :wink: Or at least the right, satiating keto food :wink: As many of us still can eat a ton of food on keto if we choose our food unwell.
I need good timing AND good food choices, they help tremendously.

I never knew what several here means? How many? Is it really that common? It may be, I heard it from people
 I WILL get hungry in 1-3 hours unless I do OMAD :slight_smile: It’s simply individual, not everyone can last for several hours after a non-OMAD meal like my high-carber SO! He does 9-10 hours after breakfast, no problem. And he isn’t even hungry until the last hours, usually!
(It was always 3 hours for me, the 1 hour only happens on carnivore. And rarely, thankfully. More than 3 hours is extremely rare and I like that, I need a small eating window or else I easily overeat, no matter my woe.)

(Bob M) #25

I usually eat (first meal) around 10 am (11:30am today), and won’t be hungry
in fact, can’t eat
for hours. 6,7,8
 Usually eat again around 6-7pm.

And that first meal is many times after ending exercise 3 hours earlier.

But it took me a long time to get here. When I first started in 2014, I ate many meals a day because I thought that was “healthy”. A few years later, I started fasting via Jason Fung’s information. Sometime after that, I started eating two meals a day, and just developed this as an eating “habit”. I’m not hungry in the morning, nor am I hungry after eating.

At the start, just eat until you don’t want anymore. The controls will set in all by themselves, later. You’ll find your satiety lasts longer. But for now, you will want to eat a lot. Listen to your body, not some formula. All you need to do is watch your carbs. It will all fall into place as you go.

Your body will only catabolize muscle as a fuel source when it’s given no other choice, if you have body fat on you, it’s not going to burn up muscle on you. However, Fasting is a stress to the body, stress raises blood sugar levels.

(Olivier) #28

I am back, as new user I was allowed to send only 19 messages.
So I am French speaking, from
Belgium but live in Switzerland and work with Sweden and USA.

I will try to eat much and not following app plans.
Since I ate more fats my weight did not move for 2 days I hope that is not a bad sign.

I guess I will continue and wait a couple of weeks so my body is fat adapted and see the difference :wink:

(Olivier) #29

Is it possible that my blood sugar increase by specific time of the day and not because what I ate?
Today I drank a bulletproof coffee for breakfast and by noon my glucose is 119 same as when I did not eat previous day.

It’s not any sign, 2 days is nothing :slight_smile: Fat mass changes are minuscule compared to normal bodyweight fluctuation in such little time.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

It is most definitely possible. In particular, there is something called the “dawn phenomenon”, in which one’s serum glucose rises in preparation for waking. In evolutionary terms, it probably has something to do with wakening prepared to fight off a cave bear or a sabre-toothed tiger. Serum glucose can also be raised by certain types of exercise, usually ones requiring explosive power.

This type of glucose rise appears to be totally normal and healthy, and not a concern.

(Olivier) #32

Thanks Shinita, patience was never my best

(Olivier) #33

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your feedback.
At least I am in ketosis based on my blood tests.
Even if it fluctuates around the day, it seems min/max rise day after day.
Max at 3.1 yesterday late in the evening

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #34

If the fluctuations are small, that is a good thing, even if the absolute value is high. Most people would consider 3.1 to be quite low, but it is not a problem, so long as the ketone supply is adequate to feed the brain.

There was a famous experiment in the 1960’s, in which the experimenters used a hyperinsulinaemic euglycaemic clamp to lower the subjects’ serum glucose to levels that normally cause coma or death, but they were fine, because they had been fasting long enough for their ketone levels to be quite high (they were in the state known as “fasting ketosis,” which is a bit higher in ketones than nutritional ketosis). This experiment was highly unethical by today’s standards, but it does give us useful information.

It appears that the brain does require some glucose, but it doesn’t need much if ketones are abundant.

(Olivier) #35

Well fluctuations seems big to me, between 3.1 and 1.4.
I guess it will stabilise with time and may be if I eat 1 more meal.
Today I am feeling in the rush between grocery shopping, work, cooking and other daily tasks as repairing the car

So I ate my lunch at 5pm while cooking for later diner
. I need to find some new habits