Hidden "Dangers" of Keto

(Consensus is Politics) #42

I haven’t heard anything about the livers creation of glucose to benefit muscles. Other than the heart. Otherwise that glucose is probably dedicated to brain, kidneys, eyes, and heart. I think those are the only organs that require glucose.

What’s your protein intake? It could be you need to increase protein. I know, that’s probably the first thing you checked, but double check to be sure.

(charlie3) #43

I track with cronometer. So quick check, average protien for the past week is 106 grams per day for my 143 pounds. Is that sufficient for a hard training 69 year old. When the liver makes glucose doesn’t it just go into the blood stream and get distributed widely? Does the liver have a direct path to the brain so it can exclude other tissues?

Lately I’m thinking that high blood sugar has more to do with resistance to glucose, not resistance to insulin per se. If cells have all the glucose they can convert to glycogen or burn at that moment may be they resist absorbing more. Glucose is toxic so doesn’t it need to be converted to something else, the sooner the better. (I have another hunch that the body converts glucose to glycogen for storage because glycogen is not toxic.) Sedentary people aren’t depleting much muscle glycogen so not so much new glucose can be absorbed and blood sugar stays higher longer. People who are active enough to be glycogen depleted most of the time are converting glucose to something less toxic more rapidly so lower blood sugar on average. If energy depleted cells were still insulin resistant wouldn’t that mean starvation on a cellular level? I haven’t heard anybody talking about that.

(Consensus is Politics) #44

I’m pretty sure the brain gets its glucose right from the blood. I have heard, true or not, that the brain doesn’t require insulin to take in glucose.

Although this doesn’t answer the question, it is an interesting read.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16054044/

(CharleyD) #45

Correct. I believe I read it first in Protein Power that GLUT glucose transporters are always present on the cell membranes, and do not require insulin to function in normal physiological ranges.

You may want insulin to help with shuttling amino acids into muscle if you’re going for hypertrophy, but not for normal metabolic needs.

(Consensus is Politics) #46

That’s my opinion about why our bodies convert sugars into glucose. It is toxic. Once ingested there seems three ways to get rid of it, #1 #2 and burning it off. Burning it for energy Is a double header. You get energy out of it while you get rid of it. The other two methods are just tossing it out in the waste bin. The problem with that is it is also destructive to the waste disposal systems. You certainly don’t want the kidneys constantly filtering out the sugar overload, and as for #2, well, that might not be very pleasant spending so much time taking care of #2. “WHO DOES NUMBER 2 WORK FOR!?!”

Lol Ride what?!!! Oh a bike. I was sincerely confused- my first thought went to car.

(Les Dugay) #48

A couple of the doctors at the Houston Low Carb Conference not long ago spoke about this very subject and presented the science that proves it wrong. Additionally, Dr. Fung spoke of this in the Obesity Code. Unfortunately, we must seek out information not supported by the pharmaceutical industry. Ciao

(Jeremy Wheatley) #49

Protein is the hardest macro for your body to convert and therefore it is that last to be converted and it’s only converted when there isn’t enough glucose or Fat. Hopefully this helps

(Doug) #50

We all make mistakes once in a while, and typographical errors are no big deal, but this one caught my eye. It was like :astonished::smile: