Hi - new to OMAD and new to Keto Diet : )

omad

(icky) #1

Hi :grinning:

I’ve been fasting for 10 years, 3-4 times per year for anything between 1 and 3 weeks at a time.

This has now finally brought me to a Keto Diet, which I’m now on my 4th day of (doing okay so far).

As I adore fasting and as I really dislike cooking/ preparing meals, I’m thinking that OMAD sounds like my personal best bet re getting a Keto Diet to work for me.

Are there any specific things I need to think of re the combination OMAD & Keto?
Like, does the one meal need to be huuuge? Haha… To cover the whole day’s fat and protein needs? Or do you just work out what meal size works for you and go with that?

Thanks for your ideas! : )

(Vladaar Malane) #2

Hi there, I did OMAD for awhile on weekdays, and 2 meals on weekends to eat with family. I think what is important with OMAD is try to keep the meals balanced nutrition-wise as that is the only food your taking in. Watch your PH/acid level balance as well.

It’s a great fast method though, I think I prefer just skipping breakfast and eating lunch and dinner.

(icky) #3

Yeah, I’m thinking OMAD mainly for weekdays so that I don’t have to deal with work and food preparation.

Also, if it turns into OAAHMAD (one and a half meals a day) then I’m not too fussed either. : )

I just think that if I have to face the prospect of preparing myself 3 keto meals per day then a) it’s gonna drive me nuts and b) it will seriously jepoardise my success re staying keto long-term.

So I need an OMAD (or nearly OMAD) approach at least for weekdays, so that it feels workable for me.

(icky) #4

Oh - another question: Is OMAD a viable long-term approach?

I’m not looking to lose any weight.

I’m doing this for health reasons (insulin).

If I’m doing OMAD 5 days per week, and eating a good, big, healthy meal - can I hold my weight?

Or is OMAD only used to lose weight?

I’m really interested in OMAD for the ease of meal preparation and not having to fuss around with food all the time. I find meal preparation incredibly tedious. (Always have.) (I’m the type that if there was an astronaut’s pill that I could take with a glass of water that would cover all my nutritional needs for the day, I’d do it and be glad that was taken care of. While I do enjoy food, it’s not a big deal for me and it annoys me how much of the day is about food, food preparation, food shopping, doing dishes, etc. etc.)

(Vladaar Malane) #5

I believe it’s quite doable for long term. Plenty of folks eat OMAD, just because that’s what they always did. Especially if your not wanting to lose weight. You will lose weight at first likely, but your body setpoint will adjust to the one meal a day. They key is keeping your one meal composed nutritionally to balance what you might have gotten over many meals in same day. Of course you could get some aspect Monday, and then another Tuesday. It’s not that you have to force feed a full nutrition regiment every night, just try to keep balanced over the week.

Hey edit here. I was thinking since you said your new, that I should explain what I’m talking about with setpoint. It’s from Dr. Fung book the Obesity Code. In that book he explains that your body will actively fight to get you back to a setpoint of weight. For instance if you weight 95 pounds consistently for a long period of time, and suddenly eat twice as much calories. Initially you will gain weight, but your body wants to be at 95 pounds and will increase your metabolism to get you back towards that weight. Same as if you weighed 300 pounds, and suddenly did fad diet to lose 50 pounds. Your body would lower your metabolism and get you back to that 300 pounds and sometimes plus some. As a lot of people who do diets find out, you lose it, but the instant you stop you gain it back and then some. It’s a great read if you want to learn the science behind some of this stuff.

(icky) #6

Cool - that sounds good : )

I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it over time.

(Vladaar Malane) #7

The only other suggestion I should say if your not CARB FREE yet, you may experience CARB withdraw symptoms or keto flu as some say. I thought you maybe already mostly carb free though as you mentioned you already fast.

If your not Carb free it’s recommended that you get keto adapted meaning less than 20 grams of carbs for a few weeks before you do the fasting.

(Jeanetta Lee Trounday) #8

I notice that on the days that I do OMAD I only eat about 700 to maybe 1000 calories in my one meal, and doing that to many days in a row causing a slight stall. I have this frustrating four pounds that I lose one week and gain the next, only to lose it a week later.
What is more sustainable to me is having a four hour eating window. Sometimes I have one meal in that window, other times I have a snack and a meal, and sometimes I have two meals. I use My Fitness Pal, and do eat at a deficit, so I try to keep my calories at 1400 - 1800 a day. My eating window is 5-9 pm, so I can enjoy dinner with my family, and I don’t fast on the weekend (but I am always strickly Keto and stick to the calorie deficit)
I am in weight loss mode now, but I believe that maintance would just involve adjusting up my calories.
It is definatly easier to fast 20-23 hours during the workweek.