Hey I'm Having a Hard Time Hitting My Daily Fat Intake

conversationstarters
keto
newbies
fat

(Corry) #1

Hello I’m pretty new to actually doing a keto diet but I have done at least a few months worth of research before starting the only problem I’m running into is that I can’t for the life of me seem to hit my daily fat (in grams) intake for the day.

(Andrew Anderson) #2

I do better when I try to make it not feel like counting. First focus on carb reduction, count those! Add real butter, or hollandaise sauce to everything! I had a hard time with fat early on and used fat bombs or bpc to help increase fat.

(Corry) #3

My daily net carbs are down below 30 and i hit my protein goal for today but I’m off by 136g of fat. I try and use olive oil to cook and get creamy dressings for lunch and cheese for breakfast.

(Carpe salata!) #4

Do you have scrambled eggs? You could dump 50g butter in there no problem … yum.

Sometimes I take a tablespoon of coconut oil straight up … yum.

You’ll get the program before long. :slight_smile:

(Barbara Greenwood) #5

The guideline is keep the carbs low, protein moderate and fat to satiety. Rather than aim for a specific amount of fat, you eat enough so that you are fully satisfied at meal times. Personally I know I’ve achieved that because the urge to snack goes away.

So, key question is - are you constantly hungry? If yes, then by all means find ways to add fat. But if you’re not, then you’re doing just fine as you are.

(Dude Man) #6

When I get hungry I drink olive oil. And save my main meal for the brunch of the day.

(Nick Morales) #7

What macro are you trying to hit in a day? Starting out, if you need to add more protein to hit your fat then go ahead.

You should probably also aim for 30g total carbs instead of net before you’re fat-adapted to ensure you’ll get into ketosis. You can add more carbs later on when you learn your tolerance. Like others have stated, focusing on limiting carbs is more important than protein and fat when starting out.

(Siobhan) #8

Fat should be eaten to satiety, there is not really a needed goal. Just as you should not fill your car when the tank is still full, I wouldn’t really recommend eating when not hungry (unless you have some reason to like an expetiment of some sort …). There is no reason to.

<20g of carbs
1-1.5g of protein per kg of lean body mass
fat to satiety (eaten when hungry until full).

(Corry) #9

My macros that i have are 30g carbs (which i only go over by like 5 or 6 but my net carbs are like 25) my protein is 136g and I’ve been hitting that easily but my fat it should be like 237g and I’ve been constantly under by 145g.

(Sophie) #10

Are you trying to lose weight?

(Corry) #11

Yes. I ran my weight and height and body fat % through a keto macro calculator and that’s what it gave me to lose weight.

It sounds like you’re still in the mindset of fat as augmenting your food. It really helped me to think of fat first. Ie, “what fat should I have for this meal?” When I do this my macros fall right in line. I build my meal around the fat rather than build my fat around the meal. Use liberally at every meal some combination of avocado, olives, butter or ghee, coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil. Use plenty of these, not jyst enough to prevent sticking. Throw a handful of macadamia nuts onto salads. Remember, fat is your primary source of fuel, not just something to add a little bit of to proteins and veggies. it really is a whole paradigm shift from what most of us are used to.

(Corry) #13

True thats one thing i haven’t thought of getting is some high fat nuts to supplement of I’m not hitting my goal.

Also… BACON!

(Corry) #15

I totally forgot about bacon too XD

(Sophie) #16

This is exactly what I did and it works. First things first, concentrate on counting carbs and try not to overeat the protein and the fat shakes itself out. If you get hungry eat some fat. It doesn’t have to be difficult and it should be simple in the beginning. We are so conditioned to “count stuff” instead of listening to what our bodies are trying to tell us. And it will fluctuate on different days. Macros should be just a guideline, so don’t over think it.

(paul ) #17

Eat an Avocado every day!! 21 grams right there. I have one every night with my one meal. I am at about 75% fat every day. SOme days 68% other days about 75 -80 % Put butter on your spinach.

I reread your post and saw that you were getting in quite a bit of fat already. Initially, I picked up on the ‘trying to cook with olive oil and adding cheese’ part and imagined a lot less fat. I’ll echo what others have said, if you’re meeting your carb and protein requirements and eating to satiety, maybe you don’t require additional fat, or maybe it’s coming from your body, which is optimal if you want to lose body fat.

(Crow T. Robot) #19

I actually wouldn’t recommend eating a bunch of nuts to help you get your fat. They are too easy to overeat and the carbs are sneaky. They stall a lot of people. You’re better off with bacon.

That said, I’m not sure why you are trying to eat that much fat. I know there are macro calculators out there, but the general rule is “eat fat to satiety”. AKA, aim for a good amount of protein, restrict carbs as low as you can, and eat the fat that comes naturally, which often ends up about 1:1 with your protein grams. If you feel hungry add more butter, or whatever.

You don’t have to be a slave to some generic macro calculator. HTH :slight_smile:

(Corry) #20

The problem is I’m still hungry like all the time.