Heres the Rub

bbq
food

(Mike) #1

We have been smoking meat for a long time and have a rub recipe that is very popular in the family. I am smoking 4 large pork butts for pulled pork to freeze for the winter (About 30+ Lbs). My recipe would have about a cup of sugar in the rub used but I am wondering how much of a difference that will make in such a large amount of meat, especially considering that a fair amount of the rub ends up in the drippings. I was also wondering if some of the sugars calories are exhausted since the bark on the meat ends up pretty dark.

Should I change my recipe or am I OK?

Mike
Keto Newbie

Without giving away our top secret recipe the rub has

1 Cup salts (mixed things like onion, celery, garlic etc…)
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Paprika
Chili Powder
Spices like Lemon Pepper and other safe flavors

edit: added recipe(ish)

(Khara) #2

I agree that the amount of sugar for the amount of meat probably results in very little sugar per serving. However, I’ve found since going Keto that the sugar amount in “normal” recipes is generally way higher than it really needs to be. Once Keto for a while, considerably less sweet foods taste pretty sweet. You’ll start to notice this. If you don’t want to change the recipe much, I’d try reducing the sugar a good amount, like by half at least. I think you’ll be surprised by how little sugar is really needed.

(Mike) #3

I learned to make rubs from a class with Paul Kirk. One thing he was pretty insistent on was to make a balanced rub you needed equal sugar and salt. The balance was to allow for juices to circulate in the meat (MMmmm Chemistry). That being said I am tempted to experiment and make some rub with lower sugar and use it on half the meat then blind taste test it with the family. (I did that yesterday with my picky PICKY nephew… Gave him Keto Pizza and he thought it was the BEST PIZZA EVER!)

(Jim Russell) #4

A big part of the reason that the sugar is in a rub is for browning and crust formation. You could probably safely lower it some, but I wouldn’t eliminate it entirely. It would change both the look and the texture of the finished product.

(Tim W) #5

I’ve used granulated erythritol on a pork shoulder rub.

I fed the slow cooked pork to a bunch of sugar burners and they didn’t notice the difference. To be fair, I shredded the shoulder after it was done so visuals were not an issue, BUT, when it was done cooking, it had that nice deep coloring and crust one expects when cooking pork in this manner.

I agree with the others, you’ll really notice the sweetness of the sugar if eating full keto, maybe the erythritol or other sugar replacement will serve your needs.

(matt ) #6

I switched the sugar out in my rub with a 50/50 blend of erythritol and “just like brown sugar” and I prefer it.

(Roxanne) #7

Just getting used to my smoker…how long do you smoke it for to end up as pulled pork, at what temp? Thanks!

(Mike) #8

I will do it at 225 for 10-18 hours (It varies a LOT depending of butt size and weather). I like to mix fruit woods like apple and cherry for pork. I cook boneless until it feels like it is going to break apart when I pick it up with tongs from an end (But not over about 190-200 degree on a meat thermometer). For bone in just cook until you can lift the bone and the meat on the long edge drops away from the bone.

It is important to trim the first layer of fat and the false cap off, leaving about 1/8 - 3/16 inch of the fat under the false cap (I would check the youtubes) otherwise your rub will only flavor the false cap.

I use a mustard slather on the washed meat (Usually Yellow mustard with a little apple juice but I am going to try apple cider vinegar this time). The mustard does not really impart a mustardy flavor, it just holds the rub and keeps the meat moist

I then add rub until coated but NEVER actually rub it in, just add enough for a nice even coat

Cook fat side up the entire time. For the first half of the cooking time (Ya gotta guess) cook undisturbed then turn it 180 degrees and spray with moisture (I used to use apple or other juices, I’m not sure what I am going to use now, perhaps watered down apple cider vinegar?). After half of the remaining cooking time turn it 90 degrees and spray again. After half of the remaining time turn 180 degrees again and spray. I often spray every 45 minutes after the first turn if the times will be long between turns)
So if you guess it will take 12 hours to cook you turn at 6 hours then 3 hours later then an hour and a half because the food cooks faster as it warms so this results in each side getting an even amount of cooking if you have hot spots (Which you always do)

Once it is done you can pull it off and let it rest for half an hour or until it is not too hot to handle then pull with tongs and a large fork.

I like to then vacuum seal bags for the freezer then you can just heat by boiling the food saver bags

edit: Pro Tip, If you are having an event where guests are around the smoker allow at least two hours more cooking time because guests will, inevitably, open the smoker to see whats cookin. Every time you open the smoker you add 15-20 minutes to the cooking time

(Mike) #9

@matt where do you get your “Just like brown sugar”. It is $22 a Lb on Amazon :flushed:

(betsy.rome) #10

I’m not a BBQ expert but have had great results including some Sukrin Gold in my homemade paprika/salt/pepper/spices dry rub. www.netrition.com/sukrin_gold.html
Particularly great on salmon.
I just add enough so I can taste it as a balance blend of salty-sweet.

(matt ) #11

Sounds about right. It’s not cheap but I’ve had my bag for a while. When I make my chicken rub it’s 1/8 of the total rub. I don’t use any sugar or sugar substitutes on my ribs or pork.

(Roxanne) #12

Thanks for the details, Mike…I may give it a try if we have a sunny warm day coming up on a weekend :slight_smile:

(Tim Rayburn) #13

I’m going to disagree with those who say that you’re not going to get much of the sugars, I’d bet most of that sugar stays with the meat. Protein + Sugar + Heat have a special relationship which will stick on there good and tight. I find that the sugar in the rub is overrated for taste, Meathead over at the great AmazingRibs.com site has this to say:

Sugar. Sweetness is a common addition because it is a flavor enhancer, it helps browning, and with crust formation. Diabetics often ask me if there is a substitute, and the answer is no. The chemical properties of sugar are unique.

Personally I’ve chosen to remove sugar from my rubs, and use sweetener in my sauce if I REALLY need the sweet. Honestly I think that the presence of sweetener most of the time is just to feed our carb addiction.

As I’ve shared in another thread, this is Rib Rub recipe which I also use for Pulled Pork

(James storie) #14

I like to just mix in some ACV, spices, and my favorite hot sauce. Taste great to me! I don’t miss the sweet, but I’m a Carolina boy where the vinegar based sauce is big anyway. This works well on meat that hasn’t had anymore than salt and pepper applied before cooking.

(Mike W.) #15

I haven’t changed my rub recipe. The sugar creates bark. There’s also about 1/2c sugar in what amounts to about 400 lbs of pulled pork.

(Doug) #16

WOW Mike, quite a picture there. :sunglasses::exclamation:

(John) #17

I cook a LOT of BBQ and I just took the sugar out, couldn’t really tell a difference. While sugar can carmelize and get a little sticky, you don’t need any sugar to get the bark.

(Mike) #18

I’ll give that a try then. I was thinking it would taste really salty without the sugar to balance the salt. I think I’ll do each of the 4 butts a different way then blind taste test them on the family. Show me the science!

(John) #19

I looked at your 1 cup of salt, and if you use a heavy hand that can certainly be too much without some sugar to balance it out. A lot of people put salt on ~24 hours in advance and I personally have found that my pork gets more of a hammy taste, especially the leftovers, when I do that. Just personal experience there, test it yourself.

(Mike) #20

so perhaps I should increase the other ingredients to balance the salt and I usually use a mustard slather and then a nice even coat without going crazy