Here’s what has worked for me for two years

(Tim Cee) #1

These are my personal dietary principles I have been following that I developed for myself from what I earned on the lowcarbmd podcast and 2ketodudes

Physical principles:

1. no carbs, no sugar no starch—except the trace amounts found in vegetables. No fruit, no pasta, no bread etc. All carbs promote the addiction. Sugar is a narcotic.

2. eat meat and vegetables.

3. eat one or two meals per day.

4. no snacks between meals!

5. drink only water, black coffee, fast at least 16 consecutive hours per day. Once per week, go at least a day without food.

6. avoid highly processed meats. In general, for every gram of protein in my meat, i should have at least one gram of fat as well. Don’t add too much fat or oil when cooking. Just eat food as it occurs in nature.

7. avoid vegetable oil except avocado, olive, or coconut oil.

8. if you slip off the wagon, don’t delay, don’t wallow in self loathing. Just jump back on and keep working towards your goal.

9. exercise

1. listen to and watch encouraging information on a regular basis.
  2. Find alternative rituals for emotional needs where food is not needed for nutritional purposes in daily situations.

Emotional principles:

Four reasons we need to eat(and drink)are:

Nutrition:

duh

Worship:

Various religions practice ritual feasts as acts of worship. In modern times, Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas feasts, and communion are examples.

Fellowship

Family meal time, friends night out, are examples of promoting fellowship in the context of food. In my opinion, eating with family is critical to the social development of children and also social eating is essential in all stages of life.

Emotional satisfaction

Food tastes good. We should feel good about when we eat, what we eat, and how we eat before during and after each meal. Feeling guilty or regretful about a snack or meal is not how God intended us to live. Food is supposed to be enjoyed.

Celebrating

We eat to celebrate with friends and family. Birthdays, new year’s etc are examples.

Obviously, we eat for multiple purposes in each bite. As an addict I need to be especially mindful of nutritional and emotional requirements on every occasion and avoid disfuncional food attitudes.

(Bob M) #2

Very nice list! (Though I do eat a lot of processed meat, ham in particular.)

(Tim Cee) #3

I don’t keep it perfectly. It’s an ideal. For example, I don’t count my macros closely. I just figure if I am eating a fatty meat, and salvaging the the renderings, I’m getting a balanced fat intake. I do however count the carbs—20 grams net.

These are great principles. I especially agree with the importance of fellowship, emotional satisfaction and social development around food. These are some of the first things we start to deny ourselves when we’re “dieting” or doing CICO, I find, especially because of all the celebratory foods and restaurant meals, or having to rigidly focus on portions rather than enjoyment. It’s a lot easier to participate in those things when the clear boundary is around carbs rather than calories.

(Jason Schywiola) #5

Thank you. This is basic but incredibly helpful. I’m new to this and clearly overwhelmed with info. This really makes it easy.:+1::+1::+1:

Love the summary Tim.

Never knew that God was a qualified nutritionist.

I hope that last sentence doesn’t derail what I really wanted to say. But it does speak toward food as the manifestation of dietary, if not deity, beliefs. That, and the vast spectrum of cultures we can experience in conversation and exploration of ingredients.

I’d like to see more discussion on the nuances of physical activity and exercise.

Physical activity being what we do intuitively, instinctively, for the multitude of purposes that fill a waking day. Whereas exercise is an intention and another form of addiction for some. Exercise is forced physical activity that is usually choreographed. The force required to move the object being the conscious intention.

I find it interesting to look at physical activity more-so. Unavoidable and intrinsically organic to living. The link to low carb eating being that the generation of nutritional ketosis, clean ketone fuel, actually drives the physical activity behaviour. Rather than a mental act of willpower. Cartwheels on the beach, is an example, the activity is spawned from a sense of well-being and confidence, and is expressed as play or fun. “Why did you do that?”, quizzed the carboholic. “I just had to do it,” cheek flushed the ketoner. Physical activity as a need, rather than an obligation.

My own observation is that when nutritional ketosis is well set, I can’t sit still.

(Tim Cee) #7

The energy you store plus what you burn is what you’ll have to eat. Eat species appropriate food and storing and burning food starts to relapse to healthy levels. Eat crap: feel like crap. Eat good stuff: feel ready to move.

(Tim Cee) #8

You know, from my own background I never noticed that the God of the Bible said anything about nutrition. I’ve heard people try to claim that the laws of Moses had to to with nutrition and food safety. However it didn’t make sense to me that way. To each their own. However, since becoming scientifically/philosophically persuaded that ketogenic nutrition is the most natural and evolutionarily sensible paradigm, I came across a passage, Genesis 9, where the text could reasonably be interpreted as God prescribing a ketogenic/paleo diet for humanity. To each his own, eat and let eat. I’m not dogmatic about it and there’s room in my heart for people who see it differently. But I find it interesting that 5 or 6 thousand years ago people had noticed that humans do well on meat and vegetables and we’re now in the 21st century rediscovering that. Cheers to the ancient folk who recorded the idea thousands of years ago.

Wow Tim. Thank you. What an awesome post (for me to read). We are probably brushing against forum rules in having a look at the association between the interpreted words from God of the Bible and nutrition. I have to admit my comment was from ignorance. As are many of my written thoughts. But when they go in through the eyes of another person, pass through the filter of their thoughts, and arrive back as a response, that ignorance is changed, tempered, or even cured.

Now you have me thinking about the Christian Bible, which I don’t do often, and the descriptions of the food eaten in early agrarian societies that pop up in the stories. I mean apples, and possibly pears to be more geographically accurate, make an early appearance I guess. Then there are special ways to create grain flour and breads. Small ruminant lamb is on the menu as are “ fish”, but we don’t know exactly what types. Pork got a bad rap(port) due to public health and parasite issues. The lamb was raised on scrub and shrub forage, I’m guessing.

Thanks for opening a portal on this thinking exploration. It would be interesting to cross reference other long standing texts for contextual information. I’m sure someone has written in a secular way on this subject somewhere.