Help with pre-run breakfast

I just threw out the last nine Power Bars that I had which I had been eating before my runs. Now that I am keto, I don’t know what to fuel with. Cashew butter? Grass-fed beef sticks? New to this, guidance welcome.

Most Keto folks find that they do their best workouts fasted but you will very likely have a period of adjusting to the lack of glucose so you can expect to drag a bit in your runs at first.
How long have you been Keto and what was your WOE before?

I began keto this month, August 2018. As of July 2018, stopped dairy, sugar, gluten and carbs, the latter which lead me into learning about and wanting to become keto. The more I learn about keto the more I love it! Always ate something before runs, thinking I needed the “fuel” so as not to bonk. As such, running fasted is, more than anything, a change in mindset. Excited to try and will do so tomorrow. Thank you!

Personally I love fasted workouts and wouldn’t do it any other way anymore. Eating right before working out is a sugar-burner necessity; fat-burners just use their own endogenous supplies as needed. You’ll feel strong and clear-headed and very stable.

If you’re doing an hour or two run, I doubt you’ll want to eat, and eventually - once you’re fat adapted* - it will start to feel like a superpower. However, if you’re a very serious athlete and/or do intense glycolytic efforts after/in addition to endurance work, you might want to do some extra research. Some folks do supplement a bit or at least experiment to see what works best for them.

See Phinney and Volek if you want to go more in-depth, and you can also listen to an early 2KD podcast with one of the forum folks who’s a serious cyclist (Ian Robo), where they go fairly indepth into his adaptation and the mechanics of fat-burning and endurance sports.

Welcome, and good luck to you!

*for most activities, folks find themselves fairly well fat-adapted within 4-6 weeks. For full speed and strength, it can take considerably longer to get back to your pre-keto levels. I think that professional athletes allow a good 6 months, partly for the physiological adaptation, partly so that they really learn their own (new) internal energy cues.

Tomorrow will be my first fasted run ever. A bit anxious. Going to sleep now to get up early for my run.

If you find that you need something, even if its just for peace of mind, I like fbomb nut butters. It’s like keto Gu.

(Edith) #7

I usually have the equivalent of 1/2 teaspoon of salt pre-run along with a little something, such as a piece of bacon or a spoonful of nut butter, so my stomach doesn’t slosh around from the fluids I drank pre-run.

I also think my runs are a little more energetic if I have a little something beforehand. I use a heart rate training method and find my heart rate stays in my aerobic zones a little longer with a small pre-run snack.

Finally, if I eat a little before the run, I’m frequently not hungry after the run.

I DID IT (WITH ALL OF YOU WITH ME IN SPIRIT!!)
First fasted run, 6.08 miles. “I am fine, I am keto fat adapted…I am fine, fat is my fuel…” That was my mantra throughout most of my run and it really, really helped a lot. I am so grateful keto is helping me learn a different mindset, that my body is my fuel source–that’s why I love running and being a keto runner, that sense of autonomy and freedom, not unlike when I rode a motorcycle and had the whole day ahead of me, saddle bags packed and a full tank of gas. Same feeling! Thank you everyone for accompanying me on my run today!

(KetoQ) #9

I do fasted walks and bicycle rides that generally last up to two hours. Being well hydrated is my primary concern. Also do some salt or a few shots of pickle juice.

You should be able to do a fasted six mile run first thing in the morning without much problem. But if you need fuel, you’ll have to experiment with what will make you feel good and perform well.

For example, if I’m weight training, and I generally train very hard, I take a different approach. I sometimes, not always, do a pre workout meal that is not textbook keto. I do a cup of full fat cottage cheese with a peach. I’m okay with a little bit of carbs pre weight training because I believe I’ll burn most of them off anyway, plus it will help with muscle growth. For running, muscle growth may not be your primary concern.

I also do 45-50g of carbs per day, so I’m not typical. But I find it works for me, because I’ve been very active while I’ve been doing keto. The weight loss, muscle gains and body recomp are happening.

Thank you Q66. Today I did my second fasted run, also 6 miles. It was harder emotionally but I have come to accept that and just keep putting one foot in front of the other and stay in the mile I’m in. For me, the “pre-run” breakfast is purely psychological…one run at a time, I am learning a different perspective.

(ianrobo) #11

and that perspective is wonderful because once you realise food is not primary for exercise it opens up so damn much to the extent you will run a marathon in time without the need for gels etc …

Now you have done the fasted stuff, have you looked at MAF ?

Yes, I looked into and read about it last night. Today was my third fasted 6-mile run–no coffee, no coconut oil and no stopping! I did it MAF and though it was hard to go slow (I had to keep checking my watch for my heart rate), I wasn’t out of breath (and therefore needing to stop). Doing this run MAF made it feel so do-able and comfortable. I am so grateful for MAF and, once I can pull myself away from my computer, this forum and FB, will read Volek and Phinney’s book “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance” (I have their other book as well). Thank you so much!

(Alec) #13

Fasted running is the best way… because I can always eat a brilliant eggs benny after my run… numnumnum…

(ianrobo) #14

Here is how good it is …

Last eaten 5pm yesterday then went out for a ride at 11am today for three hours at MAF and now wAlking the dog and a bit hungry but not ravenous …