Help understanding BG reading

(Jessica A) #1

Could someone help me better understand how I can feel so hungry to the point where I feel gross (a very much delayed meal im afraid), after a bit of exercise, and my BG can be 5.8 mmol when I usually have readings in the 4’s during the day?

I feel like I should be low 4, maybe high 3, being that hungry. I’m wondering if the exercise made my body produce glucose to get through and I’m seeing evidence of this? Kinda like the dawn effect?

I’m pretty familiar with how to read my BG (gestational diabetes) but for some reason this particular circumstance is confusing me.

BG is always elevated during and after exercise because your cells need energy. the mobilization of fuel because of exercise will usually invoke a hunger response to replace that lost energy. how intense of a feeling that is and your motivation to respond will of course differ due to various other factors

(Bunny) #3

Glycogen-Glucose-Ketone-Axis:

What does ketosis do to the body?
“…Ketosis is a metabolic state in which SOME of the body’s energy supply comes from ketone bodies in the blood, in contrast to a state of glycolysis in which blood glucose provides energy. GENERALLY, ketosis occurs when the body is metabolizing fat at a high rate and converting fatty acids into ketones. …”

Gluconeogenesis — Gluconeogenesis (GNG) is how your body turns protein into glycogen (stored in the skeletal muscle tissue 1% of its mass, hepatic\liver 10% of it’s mass and glial cells of the brain) that can be used as glucose to burn for fuel. When insulin levels are higher than normal, it limits the body’s ability to get into ketosis. This is because insulin keeps fat stores from being used as energy. When the body has no help from glycogen or fat, it will use gluconeogenesis to provide energy.

Experiment:

Try testing glucose before & after excercise and blood ketones?

Brain uptake proportional to glycolysis?

HOW OPTIMIZE YOUR DIET FOR YOUR INSULIN RESISTANCE: Lately, I’ve seen a number of common themes come up at low carb conferences and online. The contentious questions tend to run along the lines of:

1. I did really well on a low carb diet initially, but my fat loss seems to have stalled. What gives? What should I do now?
  1. If protein is insulinogenic should I actively avoid protein as well as carbs if my goal is to reduce insulin because low insulin = weight loss?
  1. If eating more fat helped kick start my weight loss journey, then why does eating more fat seem to make me gain weight now?

This article outlines some quantitative parameters around these contentious questions and helps you choose the most appropriate nutritional approach. …More

(Bunny) #4

This might help also:

Can low carb help with gestational diabetes in pregnancy?

(Jessica A) #5

My experince was just like Natalie’s in this article. 175g of carbs seems so high to me now, even tho it’s half of what is recommended. I can’t recall what my total daily carb intake was, but I remember being recommended all kinds of car by foods and low fat cheese and yogurt. Such a joke. But it’ll be a while yet before we see any widespread changes to the recommendations.