Help! Simple Keto Meals

(Stuart) #1

Hey,

So I’ve tried keto before, although for not very long, and I did actually notice some fairly exceptional results in terms of weight loss. However, I didn’t really keep on it as I was returning to University and it would have been difficult to commit to a strict diet when eating with friends constantly and when eating was more or less restricted. Long story short, after a long and hard final few months of University (degree finished! woop!) and a fair bit of study eating, I’ve gained 5kg over my preferred weight and would like to shed some (or all) of it before graduation comes around.

I’m looking to do a keto diet for a few months to lose weight (not a massive amount, 5-10kg). My issue, is that when looking at meal suggestions online, they are all overly complicated or far too ingredient demanding for my liking.

Basically, I’m looking for some meals or accompanying food suggestions for a mainly meat centred diet. Preferably 2-3 ingredients max (excluding the meat! I’ve got that one covered), and if possible multiple things that share common ingredients. I love cheese, I love butter, I will eat just about any food so I’m just looking for something that’s a little bit interesting without being overly complicated.

In terms of the time of day it’s eaten at, I don’t really care, as long as I’m within my calorie limit for the day I’m not too fussed about what is breakfast, what is lunch, and what is dinner (I’m not looking to min-max it!). I know this is probably a little bit of an awkward question, and believe me, nothing is too simple or boring for me, so hopefully you guys can give me some suggestions.

Cheers!

(Jay AM) #2

Well, there is one issue here. Doing keto for a few months to lose some weight may not result in the losses you are looking for and will result in weight gain the second you stop eating for ketosis.

If you’re fine with that then let’s carry on. Keto is simple, no recipes required. With any of the below you want to add salt at the very least. You can fancy anything up with a dash of seasonings like italian blend, lemon pepper, southwest chipotle, hot sauce.

Eggs and bacon/sausage/both with butter

Hamburgers with cheese and a side salad or, hamburger in the salad

Meatballs cooked in coconut oil with cheese

Scrambled eggs with butter, cream cheese, and chives

(Stuart) #3

Yeah, I realise that keto is mainly used as a long term solution, however, when I tried it before it seemed to have good results, and when I stopped the weight did not come back on (I was expecting it to). Whether this weight loss was down to keto or some other factor I could not say, however, I was not doing anything that could result in weight loss aside from the change in diet so I’ve attributed it to the keto diet. Worth another shot at least right?

In terms of coming off the diet, I don’t intend a hard and fast change to bad eating habits, in truth my eating habits are not all that bad to begin with although I will still attempt to gradually reduce my focus from keto, likely retaining some habits and generally reducing carbs and eating more fats in the long term.

As for the suggestions, that’s the kind of things I am looking for, just simple things. Will definitely try the meatballs, what kind of cheese would you suggest and what kind of quantity/ratios?

Also, do you have any ideas for greens such as broccoli, courgettes, cucumber etc?

Thanks!

Hi Stuart, my own simple recipe for veggies is to fry courgette, onion, cauliflower florets, broccoli, kale, green beans(cut into small pieces) in butter for about 4-5mins. Then I add a teaspoon of tomato puree and either a splash of red wine or tbsp. cream and heat for approx. 1minute. Absolutely easy and delicious! :smile:

I do mostly quick and easy recipes in the microwave

(Jessica A) #6

I’m relatively new to keto as well, but one thing I’ve learned quicjly is that meals consisting of a source of protein and one veg side cooked in or covered in butter or coconut oil is dead simple and very satisfying.
I understand how you feel, the overwhelming feeling that it will require more than you can put into it. For me when it comes to work lunches and such (if you like canned fish) I’m good with a can of tuna in olive oil with cucumber slices topped with cream cheese. Super simple and won’t break the bank either :wink: Plus I get the added benefit of Omega 3s from the fish.

You can steam, grill or fry the veggies you like, then heat up double/ HW cream, add grated cheese (cheddar, parmesan or a dutch cheese) & wait til the cheese is melted, then pour over the veg. Have it either as a side or as a main meal. Simple!

Easiest dinner-
Fry chicken thighs with skin on, salt and pepper, in ghee on medium until skin is crispy.
Serve with cauliflower florets tossed in olive oil, lay on baking paper on tray, grate over Parmesan cheese and salt, roast in oven on high for about 15-20
minutes until a little golden.
Serve with garlic butter melting over chicken. Add some spinach too if you like.

(Katie) #9

Careful if you purchase meatballs from the store, because they often have a lot of carbohydrates.

(Jessica A) #10

Truth!! Meatballs and meatloaf are typically made with breadcrumbs. So carbs AND gluten. A double whammy (if gluten is an issue for you).

(Chris Robertson) #11

I’m a chef by trade and when I get home at 2:00am, having already spent 12+ hrs cooking, the last thing I want to do is cook another meal. I typically do stir fried veg of some sort with an egg or some seeds (of some sort) or nuts and a small amount meat cut into reasonably small chunks so it cooks quick. I also make a lot of omelettes with cheese, diced bacon and finely chopped veg. I only spend 5-10 min preparing and cooking a meal after work. To keep my fat intake high enough I make fat bombs that I can eat throughout the day. It doesn’t offer a great deal of variety but it’s quick and easy. I get variety on my days off when I do feel like spending time in the kitchen.

I’ve started eating olives since I went keto- now for lunch have cheese, salad, dressing of mayo mixed with cream & chives in, olives & avocado. You could cook salmon (pan fry or roast, very easy) for a dinner, cook an extra piece & have it cold for lunch the next day, or have tuna & may with the salad instead of cheese. I do make the diet doctor seed crackers- easy to make, they do take a while to bake though, but keep for a week easily- & have them with cheese, hard boiled eggs, or you could have smoked salmon, or nut butter… Also I love them with scrambled egg (I miss toast with that!), or poached eggs & avocado. Another new favourite of mine is courgette, sliced thinly, fried in butter with sliced sage leaves, toast walnuts & sprinkle over parmesan.
I cook ‘normal’ food for the rest of the family, so don’t have time to cook for hours for myself.