Help needed! Traditional Chinese New Year Cake

(Sarah Hung) #1

Traditionally at Chinese New Year (January 28th this year) we make Law Bat Go (white radish/daikon pudding). This is made by boiling grated white radish and when cold adding rice flour, decorating with Chinese sausage and steaming. The rice flour turns the white radish mixture white and adds starch to make it set into a solid pudding which can be eaten as is when just steamed or allowed to cool, cut into slices and fried.

This photo show the traditional pudding (uncooked on the left and freshly steamed on the right)
I tried to make a keto version but failed!
I added desiccated coconut instead of rice flour and gelatin before I steamed it but as you can see from the picture below it doesn’t look appetizing and it isn’t solid like a pudding should be (I haven’t tasted it yet but I also worry about the taste).

Can anyone suggest a better substitute for the rice flour? And is there anyway to get it to set?
Thanks.

(Richard Morris) #2

You could boil daikon radish up with a little guar gum. But you may not need a lot. It’s 8 times more potent than cornstarch for thickening.

(Marc) #3

Thanks for sharing Sarah.
I’m guessing based on the English writing of the Chinese words and the picture of the sausage that your family is of Cantonese (Hong Kong) decent.
I have two Cantonese relatives with type 2 diabetes and I’ve been trying to convince them to go low carb for about 15 years. I don’t say very much very often, but I tell them. They just ignore me and do what their doctors tell them.

(Sarah Hung) #4

Thanks Richard. Do you know where I can buy the guar gum? As in what sort of shop?
And would I still be able to add it before the steaming?

(Richard Morris) #5

It’s fairly common here in Australia, in the ingredient section of a supermarket with spices and setting agents like gelatin, agar agar or xanthan gum.

(Sarah Hung) #6

Well there’s a perfect excuse to go to my favourite supermarket - it is only 45 minute drive away!

(Sarah Hung) #7

I’m actually of Yorkshire decent but my husband is Hong Kong Chinese and I’ve lived here in Hong Kong for over 30 years. We tend as a family to have a very English Christmas and a very Chinese CNY. I managed Christmas with no problems but some of the traditional Chinese food is taxing. The good thing about eating with the extended family is that because all the dishes are in the middle of the table I can eat just the ones that fit the diet and no one says anything. My father-in-law always has roast chicken or duck and roast pork and lot of green vegetables and of course Chinese bone soup which is similar to bone broth but not cooked as long. Today one of the dishes was beef tendons with white radish - very delicious. It looked a bit like the dish at https://eddyskitchen.wordpress.com/2013/02/09/braised-beef-brisket-and-tendon-炆牛筋腩/

(Marc) #8

Ah, I should have known you were English, the pronunciation of the words you wrote would not sound right to an American (me). Law Bat Go would be Low Bot Go in Midwestern American. I remember my wife’s name on her passport (Houng Yoke – red jade) was spelled differently given the British (English) pronunciation.

It’s funny you should mention the way your father-in-law eats because my father-in-law ate much the same way. He’d always eat vegetables, pork, fish, duck, eggs, soup (sometimes bone broth), etc. and a little rice. If we had a piece of fruit after the meal, it would be sliced up into small pieces. The family (there were about 10-or 12 of us) would share maybe one or two oranges, or an apple, etc. I think he ate this way all his life. He was very thin and didn’t have diabetes. My father-in-law was eating low carb paleo and he didn’t even know it. He died when he was 90 or so. He lived a hard life.

It’s funny how the older Chinese generation eats better than the younger generation. Now type 2 diabetes is rampant in China and much of Asia. Two of my Chinese in-laws have type 2 diabetes. When we get together for a meal, I won’t eat. They usually get carry outs from a Chinese restaurant near where they live (Chinatown). There are so many noodles, so much rice and all covered in sauce which is ladened with sugar, etc. I just politely decline to eat.

This makes me think of when I was an engineer and I travelled between Korea, France, and the U.S. around 2000. I remember the French used to eat high fat and there wasn’t much if any sugar in any of the bakery products. They would eat bread, but there wasn’t much added sugar in anything else. Thus the French paradox; they ate high fat, but they had very little heart disease. I remember the Koreans would eat good traditional meals, but they’d also eat junk when they were in a rush. I also noticed a lot of fast food places in Korea (McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Pizza Hut, etc) when I was there. Now diabetes is rampant in Korea.

I recently went to France on vacation, but I had the kids with and I didn’t have much of a chance to compare the way things are today to the way things used to be. I THINK there’s a little more sweet foods around, but I wasn’t paying much attention. I haven’t been to Korea in six or seven years.

I try to tell my diabetic U.S. in-laws to eat low carb, but they think I’m nuts. In their view fat causes heart disease. If they ate like me, they’d just be getting heart disease. In my view, sugar causes heart disease. One clue is if you look at a diabetic website, you’ll see the warning that people who can’t control their own blood sugar (diabetics) are 2-4 times more likely to die of a cardiac event as compared to non-diabetics. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/Diabetes/WhyDiabetesMatters/Cardiovascular-Disease-Diabetes_UCM_313865_Article.jsp#.WIToGxsrKUl (“Adults with diabetes are two to four times more likely to die from heart disease than adults without diabetes”). So, they say, don’t eat too much meat or saturated fat. I still have figured that one out.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #9

I’d experiment with xanthan gum and riced Cauliflower. If there are enough other flavors, the cauli taste may be mild. Xanthan gum thickens fantastically with only trace carbohydrate.
Another idea would be blanched almond flour. A friend recently sent me a photo and recipe for polenta AND risotto, both made with almond flour.

One part egg yolk with two parts heavy whipping cream baked in oven makes a custard…no flour type fillers needed. Add any flavouring you want…salt, pepper, nutmeg, etc. If you want more protein in the custard dish, add flaked, cooked white fish, like sole, cod, haddock or char.

I know this is almost a year old but Sarah is this what is known in the states as a turnip cake? My daughter loves these and I would love to make her some so she doesn’t buy the ones fried in soybean oil at our local Asian market.

(Sophie) #12

I wonder if unflavored gelatin might aid in stability. Not sure how it would fry up though.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #13

I’m glad you asked this because I didn’t know there was rice flour in Luobo Gao. Good to know it’s not a keto snack! I’m in mainland, and dim sum is certainly a challenge. My local friends are very happy for me, listen carefully to my food requirements and order a table full of carbs, thinking they’ve done well. Best of intentions, but not getting it. On the other hand, family style does make it easy to just choose what I want.

(Sarah Hung) #14

When I go for din sum I get roast meats, usually goose and some sort of chicken while everyone else is eating the carby delicacies. I will have har gau and give the wrapping to my husband and just eat the shrimp.
I am very lucky that my husband, although not 100% on board with the diet, has been extremely supportive. And I’ve discovered that almost all the traditional dishes are very high in fat and generally low in carbs. One of my favourites is belly pork slices with vegetables, similar to this https://thewoksoflife.com/2015/01/mei-cai-kou-rou-pork-belly/ but without the sugar and corn starch. Also the veg my husband buys is sort of fresh although clearly preserved - well it still looks like a vegetable rather than something processed as in that recipe.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #15

Thanks for the suggestions!