Help I'm so confused

(Confused!) #1

I need help. I’ve read so much information about ratios that I’m confused.

I started 17 days ago and I’ve lost 4 pound in weight. no loss in measurements either.

I have been using urine strips that are registering a neg.

I do have dry mouth and my appetite has reduced.

My intake yesterday was:

Lunch
2 x chicken legs from Morrison’s and 2 table spoons of mayo.

Dinner (Wasn’t Hungry but ate anyway)
2 x Salt and chilli belly pork slices
1 x small portobello mushroom
4 thin slices of halloumi cheese.

All above cooked with 2 x teaspoons of butter and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.

Drank at least 4 pints of water and 2 x cans of pepsi max.

HELP! Please

(Bunny) #2

Pepsi? If I were trying to lose weight and trying to get into ketosis, I certainly would not be eating artificial sweeteners or Diet Pepsi, or any kind of colas, people want to believe they can, but some people might be able to do it and others might not; but who wants to play games with those kind of chemicals when they are trying to lose weight?

(Confused!) #3

Thank you for the response. Do you think the 2 cans will have that much of a negative affect?

(Bunny) #4

Yes, definitely!

If I drank 2 cans of Diet Pepsi or a artificial sweetener and tried to get into ketosis, it would be a nada, not happening situation…lol

(Confused!) #5

Thank you for your comments. I’m very new to this and becoming slightly frustrated.

Do I need to monitor calories, protein and fat? Everywhere I look for information is giving me different levels of each to aim for.

(Confused!) #6

Just a note I am also leaving 16 hours between my evening meal and the first meal the next day.

(Maureen ) #7

Where are the greens, dude?
Sound like a little too much protein.
Diet sodas are fine, but probably ly just one a day. I like to drink fizzy too so I’ll have one diet and then soda water. I’ve been on it for 14 weeks and list 12 lbs. For me it was the weight loss, I the beginning, but now its turned into feeling good and healthy. I eat twice a day, mostly fatty meat and avocados, lots of eggs. For desert a bowl of cream(1/4 cup) with stevia and about 1/4 frozen blueberries or raspberries…yummy.

(Bunny) #8

My best suggestion is to start out with more fat in your intake so you won’t be hungry all the time, then gradually take it down so you start burning your own fat, rather than dietary fat.

You want most of your calories (70% to 80%) coming from fat at all times!

(Confused!) #9

Most days I have peppers and rocket. Yesterday was not a great day to be honest. Didn’t feel hungry.

Can medication have an effect? I have been taking codeine and naproxen this week for a bad back.

(Allie) #10

Don’t force food if you’re not hungry.

I agree with @atomicspacebunny about losing the fizzy drinks. Some people are OK with artificial sweeteners but many aren’t and it really is one of the first things to lose if you’re not getting results.

Peppers are a bit too high in carbs for some people, you may want to find alternatives.

Pre-cooked chicken tends to contain added sugar, best to cook your own.

Have a look around at sample menu’s if you’re struggling for ideas, there are lots around that will help give you an idea. Really it’s simple though, all you really need is protein and fat so a fatty cut of meat either on its own or with green leafy veg if you like, or an avocado if that’s an option for you. Add butter, add sour cream, add mayo (ideally make your own with a decent oil but this is preferable not essential).

(Confused!) #11

I have added the follow to my macros in the carb counter.

20 Net Carbs
70 Grams Fat
90 Grams Protein

I have eaten 1 boiled egg for breakfast = 5g fat 6g protein
Lunch will be Keto Tex Mex 1 serving (tiny) 70g Fat and 50g Protein?

Is this correct as as it stands I have already gone over in fat and have 34 grams of protein left for the day.

Used 9 net carbs so i have 11g left for the day.

I but be doing something wrong surely?

I need help. I’ve read so much information about ratios that I’m confused.

I started 17 days ago and I’ve lost 4 pound in weight. no loss in measurements either.

I have been using urine strips that are registering a neg.

I do have dry mouth and my appetite has reduced.

My intake yesterday was:

Lunch
2 x chicken legs from Morrison’s and 2 table spoons of mayo.

Dinner (Wasn’t Hungry but ate anyway)
2 x Salt and chilli belly pork slices
1 x small portobello mushroom
4 thin slices of halloumi cheese.

All above cooked with 2 x teaspoons of butter and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.

Drank at least 4 pints of water and 2 x cans of pepsi max.

HELP! Please

(Confused!) #12

Thank you. I’m just feeling a little frustrated.

I will remove the pepsi max. Any advise on medication?

(Allie) #13

How have you gone over in fat if you’re only having 70g?

(Confused!) #14

My limit is 70g of fat and the tex mex says 70 per serving and then the coiled egg?

(Allie) #15

Why? Most of your food intake should be coming from fat, especially when you’re first starting out. Where are you getting your macro goals from?

Really you just need to keep carbs as low as possible (below 20g) and eat as much fat & protein to keep your appetite happy.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #16

Let me give you a snap shot of a day of food for me. Notice it’s heavy on the protein and I don’t add fat for the sake of adding fat. I keep carbs at around 20 per day. I get hungry and I eat three meals a day. I am always satisfied after a meal, never still hungry.

Breakfast: Coffee with heavy whipping cream, two or three sausages (2 g carb each)–7 g carb total including cream

Lunch: rotisserie chicken, a string cheese. (1 gram carb from cheese. none in the chicken)

Dinner: Pork chop cooked in bacon grease (or two), Brussels Sprouts cooked in butter. (BS - 8 grams carbs, minus fiber if you’re counting net)

That’s around 16 grams for the day, I had three meals, I wasn’t hungry after any of them and I didn’t add fat. I maybe added fat in the beginning but it grossed me out, if I’m honest. I don’t mind cooking in it and dumping butter on veggies, but that’s about it.

I didn’t use a carb counter because it consistently told me I was too high in protein and too low in fat. I don’t want to be yelled at daily or have the stress around trying to meet goals every time I put food into my mouth. I prefer, instead, to limit carbs. It’s easier on my brain and is working for me. You may be different but it’s worth a try if you’re struggling currently.

Your daily seems like not a lot of food. I would be hungry if that’s all I ate but everyone is different. Some only eat one meal a day. Are you hungry, how’s your energy? Are you getting plenty of salt?

Also, what is Keto Tex Mex?

Lost 8lb week 1, no further weight loss in 2 weeks
(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #17

You’ve only done this for about 2 1/2 weeks, so give it time.
That doesn’t look like much food, fat-wise.
What do your macros end up as?

No weight loss. Does this just not work for some people?
(bulkbiker) #18

So you’re eating 2 meals a day ?
No breakfast which is good.
as others have said you’re not eating a lot but you are looking pretty low carb. What brings you here? weight loss T2 diabetes, other health issues?
Any medication etc? Sex weight… all that info might be useful …
Urine strips are pretty rubbish once we are in ketosis as we stop wasting ketones by peeing them out so they may well register as zero but you could be comfortably in ketosis. Blood meters are better.
But if you are doing less than 20g per day of carbs then you are fine.

(Confused!) #19

I’ve viewed lots of information and they advise macros to be 20g carbs which i find easy.
70g fat and 90 grams protein. I’ve lost a couple of pounds in two weeks but that it. Urine strips are negative.

Really not sure what to do.

Can’t afford to gain any more weight.

(Confused!) #20

Thanks for the contact. I’m currently taking codeine and naproxen for a bad back.

Strangely I haven’t drank and Diet Pepsi and scales are -3 this morning. That’s 7lb in 2 weeks.

I’m not confident I’m doing anything right.