Help! I can't stop losing

(Debra Aring) #1

I realize that could be a subject line that causes eye rolls, but I starting to get a bit concerned. I’ve been at my goal weight since 21 May (5’ 2", 130). Every since then, I have continued to lose. I’m now down to 124.9 as of this morning. It’s all fat loss and muscle gain, but I’m 52 and I’m going to see my PCP next week and he’s going to tell me I’ve lost too much weight. I’m not worried about him, but I am worried that I can’t seem to stop. I have tea with HWC for breakfast and then I don’t eat until I’m hungry, which usually means dinner. Per Dr. Westman, I have two cups of salad greens and a cup of non-starchy veg each day. My ketone reading was 1.9 this morning.

Any advice from those of you who hit and maintained will be appreciated.

Keto on!
Debra

(Nathalie) #2

Hi Debra,

Thanks for your post, it’s comforting to see I am not alone feeling this way !
After breaking a 3 months plateau, I have steadily been losing weight for the past 5 weeks, a lot more quickly than in the past. I even have had a few cheat days but it hasn’t stopped or slowed progress at all. I have to admit it’s a bit scary to feel I’ve lost control of my weight loss. My appetite has pretty much disappeared for over a week now.
I believe that I’ve started to fix my insulin resistance and that my body’s set weight is shifting. My body is probably still trying to figure out a new plateau. I don’t have any science to back this up but it’s my theory.
Sorry I couldn’t be more help but I sympathise

Nathalie

make sure you are eating the amount of food your body needed or it will keep using your belly fridge and other parts. I think you are under eating.

(Ken) #4

Debra,

When you were very young, say between toddler and puberty, were you naturally lean/skinny? Or, were you stocky/chunky? That age period can tell you a lot, as to what your body type naturally is. Especially in light of how much fat your parents carried at that time, as if they were overweight due to eating habits, a naturally lean kid would start to gain fat at an earlier age.

If you were naturally lean, I wouldn’t be worried about fat loss, your body will figure it out, just eat to Satiety.

Genetics also is a huge determinant as to where you store fat. If you carry Hot Climate genetics, initial fat storage is internal. It’s vastly different than Cold Climate genetics, where initial storage is subcutaneous, for insulation. Your doc may be applying incorrect standards to you.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

I think your body thinks differently than you. And 124ish is not underweight for 5’2” by any BMI chart, so you should be fine.

I’m 5’2” and my goal is 120. Well within normal for our BMI.

(TJ Borden) #6

Hit Taco Bell a couple times. That generally works to stall weight loss for me.

(Karl) #7

My initial goal weight was to just be on the fringe of a “normal” BMI - which for me was 199lb (6’3" male). I just kept eating what I felt was a comfortable amount of food once I got there and my weight also kept dropping. It finally settled at 165, which is still in the “normal” BMI range - so I guess that’s my new normal.

I’m guessing yours will probably settle at some point too, assuming there’s no disordered eating at play.

(Karen Parrott) #8

Might have your doc check thyroid labs, I agree with the others, I’m 5’1" but small boned. I’m right around 119 now, but could easily lose 10 pounds and be super within my normal based on my super small frame and body comp.

Let us know how it’s going. Upping my total caloric intake does induce weight gain for me.

(Sheri Knauer) #9

Honestly I wouldn’t worry about the number on the scale. How do you look and feel? If you aren’t feeling good or you think you look too thin, then slowly increase your calories some and do resistance/body weight/ free weight exercises, if you’re not already, to build some muscle.

I will be 52 in 2 months, am 5’6" and my weight fluctuates between 120-124. In the first 6 months of keto (Im 2 weeks shy of my 2 year ketoversary) I lost weight pretty quickly. I have been lifting weights for about 27 years. I lost so easily I actually got down to about 113, but I did maintain my muscle. Without changing what I was eating, I guess my body re-regulated itself and went up to where its maintained today (again between 120-124). I typically consume from 1800-2200 calories a day, with about 70-80% being fat, 20-25% protein, and 5% carb.

Its always a good idea to check in with your doctor if you are concerned with anything health wise. You can ask for a blood panel to check your vitamin/mineral levels, liver function, hormones, etc so you know where you stand.

(Adam Kirby) #10

Sorry to say this may not be in your control, in the same way a weight loss plateau may not be controllable. If your body has lowered its set point you’ll have to raise it again with additional carbs in your diet.

This is assuming you don’t have any other symptoms accompanying the weight loss.

(Nathalie) #11

I did burger king twice, didn’t work. I’m not too worried though, at a BMI just over 22 I’m not underweight.

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

Why do you think your dr. would be concerned? You are well within the range for your age and height. You must be pretty healthy because you are still losing some weight. Your body knows what to do with the food you give it and the calories that are stored already. That is a very good thing.

Only if you are still losing because your calories are below your BMR, should you be concerned, track your meals for a week and see if that is the case. What you have to watch out for is letting carbs climb too high while trying to not lose any more. If you add any calories try to balance them between protein and good fats.

Personally I would be doing a happy dance if I were in your shoes.

(TJ Borden) #13

Then I don’t think you’re doing Burger King right :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Easy enough to stop loosing, for starters stop skipping lunch! You can’t skip a meal and then act surprised you cant stop weight loss. If that’s not enough then eat more. You’re no longer in weight loss mode, gotta stop thinking like it. It’s no different than somebody bulking for muscle… EAT! Not hungry? EAT ANYWAYS! You can up your fats if you want to do it “right” or slightly up your carbs (good ones) to balance off. Your passing your goal in the wrong direction a tea with an ignorable amount of HC and no food until dinner is insane in your situation. Your metabolism is obviously very healthy at this point, give it something to do other than eat YOU all day!

Good Luck

(karen) #15

I’d assume Dr. will interpret big weight loss as 1. possible cancer or 2. eating disorder. (How much did OP weigh the last time she was weighed?) - but I do agree with others who’ve said 125 is not underweight for 5’2", I don’t think there’s any need to be worried.

I lost weight like crazy until I got pretty thin, now I’m just maintaining my current weight.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #17

Or he/she could just ask “have you been trying to lose weight?” And when the answer comes back yes, a “great job then” would be in order.

I’ve been up and down with my weight so many times and never once has a doctor even mentioned it unless I brought it up, and there have been some major swings in their charts as I don’t go to the doctor unless I absolutly need to.

I don’t know why any doctor’s first reaction to reducing weight down to a healthy level would be received with anything but positivity.

(karen) #18

Well let’s hope so. OP seemed concerned that Dr. was going to give her flak for the weight loss, those are the two reasons I could imagine for anyone having concerns. I agree it’s not an appropriate response since the OP has been intentionally losing weight, and I hope her Dr. is much more positive than she anticipates.

(Todd Gamel) #19

I agree, the human body is an amazing biological machine that will attempt to find a point of homeostasis (equilibrium). Sometimes this point is not always where we think it should be. If you are still losing weight and you are not losing any lean muscle mass, then I say good for you. At this point you are not in any way outside of the normal parameters of body weight for your height. I would enjoy it while it lasts. :smile:

(Debra Aring) #20

ken, fat kid from 2nd grade on.