Help! Almost ready to give up

(Dustin Cade) #13

It’s not a set time, it’s all about how you feel, I was able to do it faster than my lady, it took her almost 2 months…

(Chris) #14

I started fasting on Friday. I started keto Monday. Been below 20g carbs each day. Eatting good meats, avocado, hard boiled eggs, lots of greens and oil dressings. 4th day I feel off sometimes but stressed over if it’s a good feeling or (flu) or if I’m mucking myself over. I’ve read u can go into ketosis in a day or 2. Just confused a little

(Jahna Walters) #15

I always try to measure around the same times. I have been doing intermittent fasting last week and this week for 3 days a week. I eat every 24 hours within a 1 hour window. So from 2pm-3pm and not again until the same time the next day, my food is pretty boring. Practically the same everyday but it was working until now.

(Jahna Walters) #16

These are my percentages today, could I not be eating enough?

(Jahna Walters) #17

GraceC
You’re meals sounds like my meals!

(Candy Lind) #18

You mean, you’ve done a 3-day fast each week? That is EXTENDED Fasting. IF is the pattern where you have an eating window and don’t eat the rest of the 24-hour period (OMAD, like you’ve been doing.). IMO, you are too new to keto to be doing extended fasts, and unless you are eating a TON of food in that 1-hour window, you may not be eating enough, either.

Let’s get some basics - could you tell us your age, height, weight, what macros/calories you are working with? A picture of a daily food diary would probably help. I think you may be making this more complicated than it needs to be.

(Jahna Walters) #19

Yes, I heard fasting was good? I’m 32, 5’6 And currently 147lbs (to the penny). Below are my “goals” but I never hit them because I don’t eat a ton in my food window.

(Chris) #20

Word up. Honestly I think you aren’t eatting enough based on what you posed. 1200 cal at least

(Jahna Walters) #21

I kinda figured. I get so wrapped up in making sure I need to be under my macros I don’t realize how little of a calorie intake I have

(Chris W) #22

Based on your numbers you should be well above 1600 cal a day.
And that is why you are not loosing currently, up your intake in general, eat more fat. Once your metabolism is up to speed it will start to use fat for lower level processes you have shut down by your restrictions.

Don’t fast until you are fat adapted and have a better hand on things. Eat when you hungry, if you ate 3 times a day do that. IF will start on its own. once you fat adapt. Don’t worry about ketones, just keep you carbs low and that will take care of itself.
Once you fat adapt its much easier to fast, which is a tool, not a means to an end. If you are interested in loosing weight I would recommend you up your fat intake, for several days then go to normal level. You should never be hungry, don’t leave the table hungry.

(Jahna Walters) #23

Thank you. I will start with your advice tomorrow!! Such a huge help everyone has been!!!

(Coinneach Domhnullaich) #24

Hey! Listening to the #32 podcast might help, it’s about the differences females encounter.
Sometimes women will gain weight before they lose weight. And sometimes they won’t lose any weight for a month or two.
I suspect if your blood ketones are dropping that that is great news! That means your body id making less, because it is using them more efficiently. I bet if you had tested your urine with ketostic you would have seen a lot of ketones spilling into your urine at the beginning, and now would show almost no ketones in urine.
It sounds like you’re a bit OCD:grin: I don’t have a scale that can measure ounces! As for the blood work (ketones and glucose) I wouldn’t sweat it, this is a snapshot after all, one minute out of the entire day was chosen. glucose and ketones will go up and down throughout the day. That said, you could take your glucose on arising, and then 2 hours later, and see what the difference is. You could also test your glucose just before a meal, then a half after the meal, and then another half hour after that. That will go you an idea of how WHAT you have eaten affects your glucose.
keep calm and keto on!

(Doree Mortillo) #25

I’m doing it for a few months…and I have to loose 100 pounds!! Very frustrated! Trying to keep calm and keto on…I’ll stay on with you!!! Let’s give it another month!!

(Dustin Cade) #26

one of the biggest things to consider when starting keto… any issues with your body didn’t happen in a month or 6 is most cases, starting keto is the first step in a journey to a new lifestyle that will help reverse years and years of incorrect advise and food choices… you should not expect overnight results, even with keto results being quick by normal standards, but the body is still smarter than we are! relax, take it easy, things will fall into place!

(Wendy) #27

Also remember losing weight is usually not linear. I’ve been keto almost 4 months now. Over all I’ve lost about 35 on keto and had lost another 10 before keto. Just this last month I went from 163.2 to 156.4 but in between I’ve been up and down. In fact 2 weeks ago I hit a low of 156.0 a day after I was 159.8. I probably was a bit dehydrated. So I can either think I’ve been on a stall or realize that weight flunctuates and just keep watching the gradual decline.
I also believe healing often preceeds weight loss for many. Do you feel good? If not maybe somethings not right. If you do give it more time. And for me fasting is an Integeral part of my diet/ WOE.

(Jahna Walters) #28

I try to keep that in mind, I do weigh myself to much; I know that for sure. My clothes definitely fit much looser. The only thing I have noticed I don’t have that everyone else seems to while I’m Ketosis is the explosion of energy. I’m not dragging by all means I’m just not running around ready to take on the world.

(Lorraine) #29

Jahna, I never got that boost of energy or mental clarity when I started keto, either. I have been keto for 8 months and am down 70 lbs. Slowly, I have noticed more energy, but not like the Energizer Bunny or anything. Just slow improvement. So, I think everyone is different and experience things differently. I wouldn’t say that I was particularly run down before I started, so maybe that’s why it wasn’t dramatic for me. Keep up the good work. It’s sooo worth it in the long run!

Your weight is not bad for your height. It seems so many young women on this forum are trying to use this way of eating as a way to shed a few pounds (like its going to turn them into a fitness model). It takes away from what the diet is intended for-insulin resistance. For losing a few pounds, cutting out “junk food” is probably enough.

(Rob) #31

THIS - I think that is an important distinction… you often see the greatest improvements in people who started from the lowest base… very sick people do well, quickly for the most part but of course for many, the only way was up!

People not doing it for real obesity and chronic conditions often have unreal expectations based on seeing what really deranged metabolisms do on keto.

Great post @Capnbob.

This seems to be a theme. There is nothing wrong with anyone adopting this WOE, it’s great! But the ‘results’ you get from it if you have 10 lbs to lose and are already fighting fit are going to be remarkably different than if you need to lose 100lbs, have T2D, are IR, with inflammatory markers through the roof.

I weigh in on Sundays and I have 30kgs as a goal to lose- to date in 6 weeks I have lost 9kg (20lbs), BUT even better

1. My hunger is GONE
  2. My stress levels are as low as I can remember them ever being (I have two jobs, three teenagers and a house full of people with ADHD to live with)
  3. My chronic, severe asthma is asymptomatic

I started to lose weight, I will KCKO because this just feels SOOOOO much better than I did before. If you already feel pretty good, you just may not experience the contrast keto can make in people’s overall wellbeing.