Help! Almost ready to give up

(Jahna Walters) #1

Hi all! I need advice because I’m starting to get a little down with the Keto diet. I’ve been doing Keto for a little over a month. It took me about a week to get into Ketosis. I’ve been super strict staying under 18 carbs a day. Normally less than 5% carbs 20% protein and 75% fat. I’m very detailed to meal prepping and weighing my food. For the past two weeks my numbers were fantastic! My blood ketone levels were anywhere from 2.0-3.8 and my blood glucose was in the 80’s. The past 5 days I haven’t lost any weight, in fact I gained an ounce ( seems minor but it’s a big deal when you’ve been working so hard) and my numbers have changed dramatically. Ketone levels are now between .8 and .9 and blood glucose was 103. I haven’t changed a single thing. What is happening? Am I slowly being kicked out of ketosis?? Why?

(Chris) #2

Hey I’m having a tough time too. Everything I’ve heard and read says it’s a long term game and to not be too worried. So many factors could be involved and as long as you are making healthy steps, the things you want will come. Keep it up!

(Dustin Cade) #3

Sounds like you’re now becoming fat adapted and your body is using those ketones they are not just floating around in there! It’s been a month, you sound like you’re doing great! Relax, keep calm and keto on!

(Jahna Walters) #4

Thank you! I hate that someone else is having a rough time too but it’s also nice to know I’m not alone!

(Jahna Walters) #5

I’ve heard about being “Fat Adapted” but my glucose rose as well, would that be normal for the same process? I’ve spent so many hours a day researching and trying to do this Keto thing right

(Chris) #6

Totally not alone. My problem is I’m obsessing. Nor about weight but more macros and I feel a little off. Just started this week. Super emotional ( more than usual) haha :facepunch:

(Jahna Walters) #7

GraceC- are you doing Keto to lose weight as well?

(Chris) #8

Can you describe roughly the time frame for starting keto to ketosis to fat adapted?

(Candy Lind) #9

You don’t have to worry about how high or low your ketones are. BG 103 - when are you measuring? Same time as when you had readings in the 80’s? Give us a sample of what you’re eating. Pictures of your food logs work well, if you can upload a pic.

(Dustin Cade) #10

It takes awhile for your body to normalize. I wouldn’t worry at all!

(Ron) #11

You are doing everything right and thing are going as they should.
Ketone measurements are unreliable but the simple answer is your body is starting to use them for energy instead of glucose. You are starting to become fat adapted.
Anything above .5 is considered safely in ketosis. I have seen .3 and .4 and been in ketosis. I rarely see over 1.4
Take a look at these if you haven’t seen them yet. They are informative.

(Chris) #12

Ya I want to lose weight and just be more disciplined around food in general. I’ve utilized willpower in so many other ways with addictions and mental health so I think it’s time I do it with my belly!

(Dustin Cade) #13

It’s not a set time, it’s all about how you feel, I was able to do it faster than my lady, it took her almost 2 months…

(Chris) #14

I started fasting on Friday. I started keto Monday. Been below 20g carbs each day. Eatting good meats, avocado, hard boiled eggs, lots of greens and oil dressings. 4th day I feel off sometimes but stressed over if it’s a good feeling or (flu) or if I’m mucking myself over. I’ve read u can go into ketosis in a day or 2. Just confused a little

(Jahna Walters) #15

I always try to measure around the same times. I have been doing intermittent fasting last week and this week for 3 days a week. I eat every 24 hours within a 1 hour window. So from 2pm-3pm and not again until the same time the next day, my food is pretty boring. Practically the same everyday but it was working until now.

(Jahna Walters) #16

These are my percentages today, could I not be eating enough?

(Jahna Walters) #17

GraceC
You’re meals sounds like my meals!

(Candy Lind) #18

You mean, you’ve done a 3-day fast each week? That is EXTENDED Fasting. IF is the pattern where you have an eating window and don’t eat the rest of the 24-hour period (OMAD, like you’ve been doing.). IMO, you are too new to keto to be doing extended fasts, and unless you are eating a TON of food in that 1-hour window, you may not be eating enough, either.

Let’s get some basics - could you tell us your age, height, weight, what macros/calories you are working with? A picture of a daily food diary would probably help. I think you may be making this more complicated than it needs to be.

(Jahna Walters) #19

Yes, I heard fasting was good? I’m 32, 5’6 And currently 147lbs (to the penny). Below are my “goals” but I never hit them because I don’t eat a ton in my food window.

(Chris) #20

Word up. Honestly I think you aren’t eatting enough based on what you posed. 1200 cal at least