Help! 4 weeks in & no weightloss

(Alexandra) #1

Hi!
I’ve been living a Keto lifestyle for 4.5 weeks now.
I have been very strict and kept my daily carb allowance under 20g. I believe I have hit ketosis (horribly dry mouth, Keto breath (yuck!), headaches) however I am having trouble loosing any weight. I started at 82kg & over the 4.5 weeks have been constantly fluctuating between 79.6kg & 81.3kg.
I have cut my meals down to only eating twice per day (1st meal around 10-11am & last meal at 7pm) and have a snack only on days I feel I need it (usually pork crackle or cheese).
The only vegetables/ fruit I have consumed during this four week period are: onion, garlic, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, 1 strawberry, a small amount of beans and have had cherry tomoates once.
I have not given in and had any sugar or carbs (the temptation has been there though :frowning:
I don’t go to the gym but I do walk 2-3 times per week for 30-40 mins.
I am feeling close to wanting to give up hearing how much success everyone else is having.

(Ron) #2

might find this conversation helpful.

(Deb) #3

Can you give a better description of your meals and macro breakdown? Have you done any blood glucose testing? Using sweeteners of any kind? We’ll help you figure it out.

(Alexandra) #4

Thank you. I haven’t been counting my macros strictly but a rough look of my day would be:
If I eat breakfast I don’t eat lunch and vice versa. If I have breakfast it’s usually a two egg omelette with a dash of cream, cheese and a few leaves of spinach with half an avo on the side.
If I skip breakfast and eat lunch it’s always leftovers from dinner the night before. Dinner options I’ve been cooking lately are either: steak with avocado on the side and a piece of haloumi, homemade beef stroganoff, chicken and veg stir fry with coconut and sesame oil.
I don’t usually snack but if I do I go for some salami or pork crackle.
I will admit when I first started I was still drinking flat white coffees. When I found out about milk I changed to lactose free and I’ve now cut all milk completely and replace with cream or just drink it black if I’m eating out. I haven’t given in to temptation once but did eat
Some sugarfree very low carb chocolate I found at th grocery store.
I really do feel like I’m doing everything right… I don’t know where I’m going wrong.
Thank you for taking the time to read my super long response

(mole person) #5

A lot of people go lazy keto (not tracking macros) and meet with success but it doesn’t work for everyone. Some people just have too much metabolic damage and are far too insulin resistant to give them very much leeway. If lazy keto isn’t working you really will need to track your macros. For all you know you are way over or under on one or more of them. Also, not getting ENOUGH can hinder your success too. Find out what your numbers should be and then start tracking carefully to see where you may be going wrong. Maybe you’re spot on, but it’s impossible to know without tracking.

Also, try staying away from artificial sweeteners. Some people find that they wrecks their weight loss.

(Deb) #6

Excellent advice above, and just what I would suggest. You don’t even have to do it for a long time.
Also (and this is from personal experience), testing your blood glucose (sugar) reaction to each food you eat can be VERY eye-opening!
I stalled for a YEAR! I thought I knew everything about my body, having been “keto” (or so I thought) for 6 months (low carb before that). Rurns out I had never even been in true ketosis! EVER! It wasn’t until I started testing that I learned what foods I could eat regularly, and what foods were a problem and I either quit or eat only occasionally.

If you have a lot to lose, things like this can be less important, and some might feel it is too much to someone starting out…but it’s always been my feeling that you can’t manage what you don’t measure.

(mole person) #7

In my case i just find I have a real tendency towards carb creep if I don’t track at least occasionally to see what I’m doing. For example at one point I realized that I was getting more than 20 g of carbs a day just in coffee cream (I like my coffee pretty creamy!). Similarly, I very much like a square of 85% dark chocolate with a tbsp of peanut butter, which was fine…until I started doing it twice…lol.

But even if you are doing nothing like that, veggies have more carbs than some people think. I had a friend who was trying to do vegetarian keto and when I calculated his macros it turned out he was getting over 20 g of NET carbs just from his broccoli alone.

(Nathan Toben) #8

did you notice if pork rinds was one of those insulin boosters? they have been a handicap for me because the act like crunchy chips but i have this intuition that through being processed the are holding me back

(Alexandra) #9

Thank you so much for your help… I really appreciate it. How can I figure out what macros are best for me on this diet?

(Alexandra) #10

How did you go about testing your glucose reaction?

(Ron) #11

(What The Fast?!) #12

I wouldn’t use this calculator. I just entered my info and it told me to eat less than 1200 calories a day…

(Ron) #13

I entered mine and it was within 100 kcal of my Cronometer and MFP both. Did you have the desired weight box set to deficit?

edit - I will say that it was on the less side of both though as opposed to above the others.

(mole person) #14

I use the Cronometer app. There is a free version you can get, which is what I use. You can set it up so that it gives you Keto macros. Then you just put in all the foods you eat and it will tell you how many grams of carbs, fats, and protein you’ve had. You will have a visual all day of how you are doing and which macros you are having too much or too little of.