Hello! I'm new to keto and im confused

Hi guys! (google translate warning).

So im now 8 days into my keto adventure, and i’ve read a lot and watched a bunch of youtube videos on keto. But still i have questions… So i seek advice from you guys!

I’m 6’1, 320lb. Do i really need to eat so much fat in my diet? All this talk of macros and this and that amount of protein and fat is way to complicated for me.

My goal is to lose 70-80lb before summer.

I do not own a food scale, so i get that it’s a bit of guesswork here.

So if anyone could be so kind and tell me if im eating somewhat correct, i’d be greatful!

Breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs and 2 strips of bacon.

Dinner: Piece of salmon or meatballs(ground chicken+bacon made into balls, tastes so good btw) with 1/2 avocado, cauliflower mash with some butter and spinach/broccoli.

And that’s about it.

I also fast 15 hours and drink only sparkling water when i fast, and sometimes diet soda or sparkling water with zero calorie juice consentrate in it outside fasting hours.

Am i on the right track here at all?

(less is more, more or less) #3

To get started, read this firstly: http://pwop.com/download/TheKetogenicDietInANutshell.pdf Carl and Richard wrote it and will give you better grounding to get started.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

The basic idea is to keep your carbohydrate intake low enough to keep your insulin secretion low enough for you to be able to metabolize your excess stored fat (insulin is the fat-storage hormone). Everyone’s level of what constitutes “too much carbohydrate” is different, but we recommend 20 g/day because that is a level that will work for virtually everyone.

We recommend eating fat because it stimulates insulin secretion far less than protein does, and protein stimulates insulin at about half the rate that carbohydrate does. Fat is therefore a safe source of calories, so it can be used to replace the carbohydrate you are no longer eating. You must get a certain amount of protein and fat in your diet, but there is no minimum level of carbohydrate. You can do entirely without it, if you want.

If you restrict your calories, you are liable to trigger a physical reaction that will prevent your body from releasing excess stored fat, even if you are keeping carbohydrate low. This is why we recommend eating “to satiety,” so that your body can set your appetite to an approprate amount of food. Af first, people tend to eat a lot of food, but this seems to help the body recover, and in a week or two at most, most people find their appetite dropping considerably.

The experience of satiety was a strange one for me, because while eating carbohydrates I could eat till my stomach was literally about to burst and still want more, but now I stop being hungry long before my stomach is anywhere near full.

You want to eat fat at the beginning because you want your body to get fat adapted. Once its comfortably burning fat it will be better at using the fat on your body. Then if you eat a little less your body won’t think you are starving.

Just make sure net carbs are under 20. Don’t need to weigh or measure unless you eat a bunch of franken foods (so just stick to normal food).