Hello, I started Keto and I feel better already!

(The Main Campaign) #1

I started the ketogenic lifestyle May 27th after having a conversation with a family who has been doing it for a year and a half. So ever since that day I have been going strong and working on recipes to be more palletable and trying to train myself not to eat when I am not hungry, I feel I have been pretty successful and fell a couple times with having a regular pop (twice) and eating chinese a week ago. But I am determined and I am now ready to start fasting, I have been trying to fast intermittently and I am ready for a full fasting, this morning I had 4 eggs, and 4 slices of bacon, I work as a pop merchandiser and have not had any food throughout the day, I have been drinking tea and water and tonight I made a cup of broth, I think I am ready for this weekend to fast, we will see. I want to get to Sunday evening without any food.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Good for you. You’re less than 3 weeks in and it sounds like you’ve avoided carb withdrawal symptoms so far. Be grateful for that. Stay realistic and don’t dive into the deep end until you’ve spent more time in the shallow end. Get the basics in order: keep daily carbs sub-20 grams; decide what, when and how much to eat; cut out between meal snacks. You are subjecting your metabolism to serious readjustment and the transition doesn’t happen overnight. Other than while sleeping, fasting is not required. I’d leave that for later when you might consider it for some specific reason(s), but not now just to prove you can.

(The Main Campaign) #3

So my usual daily intake consists of 4 eggs and 4 slices of bacon for breakfast, then for work I take 6 mozzarella pearls, and for my lunch I eat two packs of the tuna creations, sometimes I make tuna salad with them with only mayo, mustard, and unsweetened pickles. Then for supper I usually will have some sort of protein or new recipe concoction. I don’t want to fast to just prove I can do it, I am extremely obese, and this is the first time I have felt any motivation or actual physiological change during any diets past to present. I am looking to make this my lifestyle for the rest of my life, and so far it has been easier than I thought. When I say I want to fast I am talking about using bone broth during the times I would normally eat. So tonight I would have a cup, tomorrow morning, and possibly one during the day. If you think this is still too soon please write back, I am looking for the best possible way to keep in ketosis, and better my health!

(Alec) #4

Well done, I hope you will get into the fasting habit if it works for you. I know it has done for me. Fasting is the best and quickest way to get into ketosis (fat burning). Fasting and keto work perfectly together.

One thing though, early on, when you’re not fasting remember to eat well, and eat to satiety. Don’t try to limit calories when you are not fasting, this is counterproductive. After a few months on keto/fasting it is less important, and you can lower intake (or you might find you don’t want to eat as much) because you will be fat adapted, and your body will be very good at chewing through your bodyfat.

(The Main Campaign) #5

Im not really sure how to fast, if I use bone broth will that count as fasting?

(Alec) #6

Yes. Using bone broth during fasting is perfectly ok.

There is no one definition of fasting, you can make your own rules up, it is what works for you. Bone broth is excellent to have when fasting as it has lots of electrolytes and these are important to take in when you are fasting.

What you should or shouldn’t do during a fast is really dependent on what your objectives are for the fast. If you are simply doing it for bodyfat burning, then making the fast a good experience, and doing it consistently week in week out is the most important thing. So, have the bone broth, and remember rule #1 of fasting club, if you feel at all unwell during a fast, end it. There is always another day to do a fast when you are feeling well.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

I would add not to use any sweetener of any kind while fasting. They all cause a release of insulin into the blood and are counterproductive with fasting. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Alec) #8

David
I think this varies by person, and saying they all do this is not right. My n=1 (I have tested it) is that xylitol did raise my insulin, but erythritol didn’t. YMMV.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

Did you actually test insulin or blood glucose? Because none of the artificial sweeteners raise blood glucose but a sweet taste in your mouth starts the insulin release into your blood to deal with the sugars coming down the throat. Even smelling food cooking does this. Ever notice how you start to salivate when you smell someone baking sweets or grilling meat? Our senses pick up on things and stimulate appetite and the digestive system. It’s pretty much accepted by most that that artificial sweetens cause an insulin spike, often much longer than real sugar. Xylitol seems to be one of the less insulin stimulating of them. That’s why people who drink diet soda all day gain weight even though they aren’t consuming calories.

From the article:

Artificial sweeteners trigger reactions in receptors on the tongue

Sweeteners react with receptors on the tongue that make people think they are consuming something sweet - even though they contain no calories.

The researchers said that the gastrointestinal tract and the pancreas are capable of detecting sweet foods and drinks and respond by releasing hormones, such as insulin.

It’s easy to find all kinds of references to this with a search, and why you aren’t supposed to consume them while fasting.

insulin

Mark Sisson:

All artificial sweeteners are unique in your body’s response. But most references that aren’t industry related seem to show some effects. I know that Ken Berry MD says they don’t have any place in fasting. I only consume them with a meal, never in between. That’s just me. Some people still lose weight using them but plenty of people don’t and actually gain while consuming them. YMMV :cowboy_hat_face:

(Carl Keller) #10

This advice merits echoing. Fasting is a great tool for lowering insulin levels and inducing ketosis but too much can lead to a lowered metabolism because our body perceives starvation. This can be avoided by mixing things up and making sure that when we do eat, we are eating enough to fully pacify our hunger.

In order for weight loss to be healthy, we must form a good relationship with our hunger hormones. That means trusting them when they say we should eat or eat more. It may take some time before your hunger hormones start behaving rationally. Eating a carb rich diet makes us hungry all the time but if you keep your carbs low your hormones will snap out of it. A higher quality fuel will yield better mileage.

(The Main Campaign) #11

I think after 32 hours I’m going to break my fasting, I’m feeling a bit fatigued and I work an extensive physical job, I’m glad I tried this out, now I know it’s not impossible. Thanks for all the support!

(Marianne) #12

I think this is good advice. It’s not about deprivation in any way, so eat (make sure you are getting enough fat) and enjoy your meals. Once your body adapts to this comfortably, you won’t have a desire to eat as often or as much. You will lose weight but you won’t be hungry and you won’t have cravings.

This forum provided me so much information and helped me loosen up about my eating.