Heavy training and keto

(Adam Foard) #21

Thank the 2Keto Dudes and Dave Feldman’s for explaining this stuff so we’ll.

I’d love to know if this works for you!

(Adam Foard) #22

I know it may be early to ask, but have you noticed any improvement yet?

Yes! Still in the early stages (because only test it once a week on the long runs), but what has been really helping is kind of a hybrid approach:

1. fat load the day before (as per your suggestion);
  2. coffee with heavy cream the morning before the run;
  3. don’t consume anything but water for first 3 hours (to allow fat burning to really kick in - may be psychological, but seems to matter);
  4. then take a combo of simple carbs and fat for the duration (which seems to really decrease the amount of carbs needed relative to pre-fat adapted days of training).

(Adam Foard) #24

Awesome!

I also stumbled across this book. It is on my reading list but my list is long at the moment.

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance https://www.amazon.com/dp/0983490716/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_X7htBbTM5E2Y2

Thanks, Adam! Yes, I have the book (am a huge fangirl of Phinney and Volek). I used their research as a baseline approach, but have had to modify it a bit to take into account the high volume aspect of training.

The difference in my recovery from a couple of weeks ago to this past weekend has been night and day, thanks to your suggestion and the suggestions of others above to add some more carbs while doing the longer stuff. P & V don’t ever really address that, and I’m assuming it’s because their studies didn’t look at such high volume over time.

Anyway, I find it all fascinating and love experimenting - pretty much willing to try anything of it leads to a better/healthier result.

:blush: