Heavy cream victory!

(Mike W.) #1

FINALLY have found a heavy cream with ZERO other ingredients! It’s also local and cheaper than Costco.

(Lonnie Hedley) #2

I’ve heard that even though it says 0, there are still traces of carbs in HWC. To be safe (if you track), you might want to include 1g carbs per serving even though it says 0.

(Central Florida Bob ) #3

I’m jealous of you finding a full half gallon of HWC - for $8! Around here, the biggest I’ve ever seen is a quart. Most of what we get are pints, and a pint is close to $4.

I think the FDA law on the amount of carbs per serving is if it’s less than 1/2 gram they can omit it. Same with fat, which is why they can label half and half as “fat free”. If they make the serving small enough, it comes out less than 1/2 gram.

(Mike W.) #4

I thought that carbs came from thickening agents found in most HWC?

Best fattiest stuff I can buy is from a PA Dairy that’s sold in a lot of stores around here, $6 for the cream and $2 for the bottle (dep) and thats for a pint!

(CharleyD) #6

:money_mouth_face:

Still has some lactose I think.

(TJ Borden) #8

Shit!!!… I never even thought to check the ingredient label. I figured HWC was just that. I get the 40% by Darigold from Costco. It runs about $8 for a half gallon. I had read somewhere to figure about 7 grams of carbohydrate per cup, which I do, but I don’t know how accurate it is.

As much as I’ve learned from the podcast and forum, I’m not a sciencey/technical guy. I have no idea what the other stuff is and/or if it’s something that should be avoided or not.

(Mike W.) #9

It’s definitely worth digging into. I try to avoid those ingredients. We were buying the Horizon organic from Costco but it had Carageenan in it as well.

(Chris) #10

Every time I’ve tried that brand it’s been sour, no matter where from. In fact any time I find “organic” cream in a grocery store it’s always turned. Not sure why that is.

(TJ Borden) #11

Out of the dozen or so I’ve bought since I started, I’ve had one that was bad. My grandpa ran a small dairy farm here in the Pacific Northwest for 50 years, so I grew up taking ladles of raw milk from a bucket in the milk house. Switching to HWC was/is one of my favorite parts of Keto. I will literally drink it by the glass and love every sip.

My wife used to get embarrassed when we were at restaurants because I’d drink the cream from the little jug they’d bring to the table (for coffee, but I drink that black). Little did I know that cream was probably the healthiest thing at the table.

(Chris) #12

I’m sure my wife would slap me if I did that. I should do that.

(Mike W.) #13

I found that more times than not, when you ask for “cream” in a restaurant/cafe you get half-and-half.

jealous, by me can only get quarts and good stuff is $6-7 for a quart, most only sell pints and they can go up to $4-5