Hearts of Palm Sauce

(Carol E. ) #1

I picked up some jarred Hearts of Palm at Costco today. I made the recipe below using coconut milk instead of half and half/cream. I added more garlic and some red pepper flakes. The consistency is pretty thick and I could see using this as a component of a casserole.

Next time (since I have a 2nd jar) I may use butter only instead of the combination of butter and olive oil as written. I did drain the hearts of palm before doing the saute step.

I plan on serving this over chicken. :grinning:

Heart palm noodles
(Carol E. ) #2

Info and recipes

(Carol E. ) #3

Another interesting option…also dairy free

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/hearts-of-palm-guacamole-244078

(Carol E. ) #4

Update: This was really tasty. The consistency is like mashed potatoes but not quite as thick.

I could see this being used to top Shepherds Pie or add some Old Bay and serve with Shrimp & “Grits”.

(Sophie) #5

Thank you. I sure do miss my shrimp 'n grits!

eta: Whoa, I just looked up the carbs for hearts of palm and it’s pretty high! Would be a no-go for me for sure. :confused:

(Carol E. ) #6

Hmmmm…I used SunPix brand. Here are the nutrition facts from Cronometer

(Carol E. ) #7

Hi there @JustPeachy

Nutrition Data reads that per cup (146 grams) there are 6.7 g carbohydrate, 3.5 g fiber. If you use net carbohydrate, this non starchy vegetable has 3.2 g carbohydrate per cup :sunglasses:

The recipe calls for 12 ounces of hearts of palm, which is roughly 360 grams. This would be equivalent to 16.5 g total carb/8.6 g fiber per 12 ounces. To boot, my blood sugar did not spike after consumption.

(Carol E. ) #8

“Hearts of Palm is a great veggie to substitute for noodles in my “Macaroni” and Cheese. They are from the inner portion of the palm tree. Hearts of palm are ivory-colored and delicately flavored. Their texture is smooth and a little firm with a flavor that slightly resembles an artichoke. Canned hearts of palm are packed in water and can be found in most supermarkets.Yeah, they are a little more dense than a noodle, yet a lot lighter in calories and carbohydrates. Higher in nutrients and fiber.”

http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/macaroni-and-cheese-2/

(Sophie) #9

I googled heart of palm and it came up with

Nutrition Facts
Palm hearts
Amount Per 100 grams
Calories 115
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.2 g 0%
Saturated fat 0 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 14 mg 0%
Potassium 1,806 mg 51%
Total Carbohydrate 26 g 8%
Dietary fiber 1.5 g 6%
Sugar 17 g
Protein 2.7 g 5%
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 13%
Calcium 1% Iron 9%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 40%
Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 2%

(Carol E. ) #10

@JustPeachy,

I am confident that what I consumed did not contain 17 grams of sugar per 100 grams. They tasted savory and tangy rather than sweet. And I measure my blood glucose frequently and no reading reflect that large of a sugar intake.

We each have to do what we think is best for ourselves. KCKO.

(Carol E. ) #11

@JustPeachy

I found some more information.

The carbohydrate difference is apparently between raw and canned/jarred. According to this resource, the process of canning has a big impact on the carbohydrate content. None the less, you do what is right and comfortable for you.

This website is super cool and I was able to look this up for free.

PS - I do not have ties to the palm hearts industry, lol. I like trying and sharing new things that fit into the keto lifestyle :grinning:

(Sophie) #12

That’s interesting. I always loved hearts of palm but put them on the no list years ago. I wonder what is so special about the canning process for them. Do they just boil the hell out of them and discard the water? And if so, how does that not apply to other veggies that are canned like carrots for example. I always thought that most stuff retained it’s carbs regardless of the canning process. It’s very curious!

(Carol E. ) #13

Agreed! I was wondering the same thing.

(Carol E. ) #14

I remembered this thread…came across a good summary of information…so I thought I would add to this thread. Noodles made from hearts of palm are becoming popular (Palmini brand or Natural Heaven Veggie Pasta Noodles).