Headaches 😖

(Janet Smith) #1

I’ve been keto for over 2 months now. Can u get keto flu symptoms 2 months in? I’ve had a headache for a few days now :frowning:

(Ron) #2

Your low on salt (sodium). Suck on some pink rock salt.:slightly_smiling_face:

(the cheater) #3

^^^ This. I have constant access to salt; a shaker in my backpack, broth mix at my desk, boullion at home; I just get into the habit of adding it here and there to everything or sipping what I call “keto coffee” - boullion with a caffeine pill dissolved with it :smiley:

But yeah, being low on salt can make you feel yuck. Good luck!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #4

You can get Keto Flu at any time if you don’t monitor your electrolytes.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

I agree that your problem is most likely low electrolytes, but remember that it is always possible to contract influenza, whether on keto or not.

(Brian) #6

Headaches suck! Keep your salt close!

This was and is true for me, salt always cures the onset of a headache.

(Omar) #8

I know that I am salt short when I get daisy or sea sick. but no headaches.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

For me, getting the beginning of a migraine is the sign of being low on salt. Since that idea occurred to me, I have been taking a pinch of salt every time an aura has started, and so far, each time the salt appeared to stop the aura in its tracks. Hallelujah!

You CAN, but if you didn’t recently change something it’s unlikely. As it’s been said, it’s usually sodium levels going too low when it’s headaches. Have you been supplementing in electrolytes? Just starting more physical activity?

(Janet Smith) #11

I tried the sucking in pink rock salt :confounded: didn’t help. I drink my water with no with electrolytes. What are other ways to increase electrolytes

(Ron) #12

(Casey Crisler) #13

Wish I had known about this years ago. I used to get them quite regularly. Had the beginnings of one the other day but it calmed down. Maybe the salt in my food helped.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

I find that now that I am on keto, an aura will dissipate after about twenty minutes and will not develop into a full migraine, but until recently I have been experiencing a lot more auras than I ever did pre-keto. That’s why I was so excited when I finally grasped that headache can be a symptom of low sodium.

Still, twenty minutes of aura is twenty minutes during which i can get nothing done, and if it were to progress to a migraine—well, you know as well as I how debilitating a full-blown migraine can be. And a day or two off from work can get costly. Fortunately, migraines were rare for me pre-keto; and now that I am keto, ever since I started taking some salt every time an aura starts, I’m not losing any more time to them. And paying more attention to my salt intake seems to have eliminated them altogether—knock on wood!

(Championsidewinder) #15

Headache here too, but my keto stick medium dark, so I need more salt and water?