Having trouble implementing IF

I have been fat adapted for several months, and I can’t fast, either. Especially not in the morning for some reason.
In the last 5 months that I’ve been adapted I have experienced that zero hunger thing three times. Just three times :slight_smile: i had zero hunger and therefore skipped the next meal, but it wasn’t even an hours-long fast as it happened after breakfast twice (so I had dinner but skipped lunch which I neeeevvvvver do) and one time I had a large, later lunch and skipped dinner.
Other than that I’m hungry for all three meals. I definitely eat less on keto at each meal, and if i’m listening very carefully to my body I can tell that hunger, while not gone, is definitely different - less demanding.
But the benefits from keto are still mine - diminished appetite, better sleep and blood markers, heathier hair, skin and nails, mood stabilization, hormonal balance, etc.
Funny thing is I CAME to keto for the fasting/appetite regulation and that’s the one thing I didn’t really get like other people but the blood sugar regulation and healthy, whole foods have had an amazing affect on my physical and mental body

So, long-winded way of saying I don’t fast and I don’t force that and I don’t care

(charlie3) #24

I skip breakfast 5 days a week, 16:8, and eat nothing 1 day a week. Oddly I find the easiest is the day I eat nothing. I usually feel fiercely hungry for a couple of hours on the 16:8 days and it always stops about 30 minutes before lunch. We are all well nourished. Hunger signals never have anything to do with nutrient deficiency. My hunger is the Wizard of Oz standing behind a curtain trying to intimidate me. I think being in control of when I eat is a skill, something I’ll get better at for years to come.

P.S. I see “eat when you’re hungry” as keto beginner mode. I never eat merely because I’m hungry. I’m always hungry when I eat.

Quick update!

Apparently this was all self inflicted. I have grown used to salting my water since beginning keto. I’m not sure if the need for salt changes during fasting or if I was drinking more water than usual on days that I was attempting to fast but switching to plain water has completely fixed this issue.

I am now able to go 16 hours with none of the strange neurological symptoms. Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help!

I don’t know if this will help anyone out there… here is what I have learned about fasting and if for myself (n=1)

I actually started IF and fasting before starting Keto. It backwards I know, but IF led me to Keto. When I started 4 months ago I was 400lbs and not doing well at all I did IF, 24, and 36 hr fasting for about 1 month. Many things improved, but I did not lose very much weight.

Then I found Keto… I started eating a Keto diet 3 months ago still weighing about 400lbs, and the weight fell off it was quite easy for me, as I had done Atkins and the way I did it (induction phase for 2 years, no artificial products) worked well for me.

The only thing that got difficult was fasting. I cannot fast for 24 hours any longer, and I have spent the last 2 months trying to figure out why. Here is what I came up with. I finally had a scan to tell me my lbs of body fat, resting metabolic rate, and daily calorie usage. My daily calorie consumption is near 6,000 calories per day. Since 1 pound of body fat will only release 35 calories per day. 6000/35=171 pounds of fat. I only had 158 pounds of fat which can only provide 5,530 each day.

Every time I tried to go 24 hours again I would start feeling very wrong at about 22-23 hours. Shaking, weak, light headed. I checked my blood sugars, and ketones always normal. I would eat some Keto food ant everything would be right in an hour.

Again, n=1, but this is what I worked out for myself. Maybe some others have had a similar experience fasting.

Ps as of today I am 347, with a 10 inch smaller waist, and my inflammation markers have gone from 5 to untraceable.

Keep calm and Keto on.

It’s been about 3 weeks since my original post and I’ve learned a lot about intermittent fasting and myself thanks to you all. I just wanted to catch you up on my progress and share my experience.

I was making a couple of major mistakes. First of all, I was just drinking way too much water. As far back as I can remember I have always been thirsty and I tend to drink a ton of water. I believe this was causing a dilution of the electrolytes in my blood. Even worse, I was adding a generous amount (I.e. way too much) of salt to every bottle of water.

Once I realized my mistakes and cut back significantly on my water and sodium intake IF has become a breeze. I have been doing 18:6 all week and it is a walk in the park.

In fact, I almost hate to eat because I know that my energy will crash when I do. Anyway, thanks to you all for helping me to figure this out!