Haven't lost a POUND nor an INCH doing this! WTF?

(Whitney ) #1

I’ve done IF for the last 13 days with all the correct parameters. 18:6 All my foods/macros are spot on as they were given to me. I am never hungry, I stay around 1000 calories per day (I don’t wanna hear someone say Eat MORE!!) I am a gastric bypass patient and will never be able to consume what you guys consume. I have been in constant Ketosis for the last 3 weeks (Blood test from my Dr.) I have NO health issues or anything that would keep me from losing weight and I have read/watch just about everything on this whole Keto and IF idea. I just don’t know if it’s really gonna work. I have given it a solid month. NO my clothes aren’t looser, NO I don’t feel better ( I didn’t have any health issues before this) NO i don’t sleep better. I simply wanted to loose 20 lbs. I just don’t know what is going on.

I stay under 15 grams of Carbs. 50 grams of protein And as much fat as I can handle, which isn’t much given my gastric bypass surgery. ( We don’t process it well)

Anyone else been through this crap??

It kind of depends where you are in the process. How far out are you from surgery? How much have you lost already? What weight are you at currently? Maybe your body doesn’t agree with your target weight and would like to retain a bit more!

Depending how far out you are from surgery 1000 calories a day is pretty low and your body may well have down regulated your metabolism to compensate for such a low input. My feeling is also that your protein is too low considering malabsorption.

Without context it is a bit tricky to comment. You have only been keto for a few weeks and that is not really long enough to really gauge the benefits (or lack thereof).

(Whitney ) #3

My Answers…

Well we do process protein, we just don’t digest it fully, hence the importance for getting enough. My feeling is that you should be at at 80-120g a day, depending on your lean body mass. @Donna may have something to say on this. It might be worth trying to work in other forms of protein to get your intake up - dairy, nuts, etc.

What I mean about your target weight is that you may have decided a weight in your head that is past the natural set weight that your body would be healthy (and “happy” at). Women especially need a reasonable amount of body fat to be at optimal health. Pushing past that is a hard thing to do. I am not saying that is the case but it could be. How did you select the weight you want to get to?

Have you checked your fasting blood glucose, insulin and HbA1c?

I do feel your pain. I probably don’t have any solutions or answers for you, but I have compassion… I haven’t lost much (yet) either and it’s been over 7 weeks.

Every body is so individual that there is no perfect guideline for anyone. I guess we have to keep tweaking what we’re doing until we see a result. I can’t imagine what you could do better, and I totally relate with your not wanting to take in more calories - it seems so counter-productive, right?

All I can do is wish you luck and hope that you stick with it a while longer.
Sue

(Whitney ) #6

Daisy, Gastric Bypass patients do not process foods or protein the way normal people do. That is what I was getting at.

Daisy said “we” in one of her answers because she’s had WLS as well. I don’t know enough about the different kinds to say more than this - just chiming in to encourage you to believe she has some good insight in this area in particular.

(Whitney ) #8

Oh!! I had no clue that she also is a WLS chicky!! She definentely should understand the struggle. LOL :rofl: Although, Gastric Sleeve and Full Gastric bypass, (Roux n Y) are 2 completely different animals with different parameters.

(Dan Dan) #10

You have answered your question yourself :thinking:

(Whitney ) #11

Which is…Why aren’t I losing?? Dan_Dan?

Yes sorry, I should have said that - long day! I have a sleeve but also went through band hell before that! I don’t have personal experience of the bypass but know a reasonable amount on the subject. Enough to know how different we all are and that there is no one easy solution!

Have you had any issues that might indicate insufficient protein? or have you been doing OK?

(Dan Dan) #13

:thinking:

(Whitney ) #14

No, all my labs have always been normal with the exception of being severely anemic which resulted in Iron infusions once a week til my levels came up. Other than that, everything has always been normal. I should add that I have gained 12 lbs this past year which I contribute to having a hysterectomy last April ( thats when i noticed weight gain) and should also add that I used to consume a can of Spaghettios w/ Meatballs (high in protein, iron, potassium) and a “soft food for me to digest” but also didn’t know until a few month ago that 1 can had 69g carbs!! Damn it!! They always agreed with me :slight_smile: I also was drinking a large bottle of Pink Moscato 2-3 night a week. Never drank before my surgery. But noticed a few weeks ago that it had 110 carbs per bottle. Again, Damn it! I was really liking the Wine nights. LOL. So, then I started Keto and have followed the strict regimen…only to be disappointed so far.

I think I remember my Gastric surgeon saying that “we” need to consume 70g of protein daily because “we” would only be able to absorb half of it. But I have never been able to consume that much. I usually eat 1-2 times a day and just small meals of mostly salad, tuna, water, coffee. I never did much dairy, never any sweets, I’m never hungry and don’t ever have cravings. I’m just baffled.

It could easily simply be taking a while to kick in. There are so many factors that can slow things down - stress, lack of sleep, mood, etc.

I have iron issues too. Have you checked your vitamin D and B12?

(Whitney ) #16

Yes, all of those were normal on my labs as well, but maybe because I get B-12 injections once a month. Not sure about the Vit D since the only dairy I consume is the creamer in my coffee. It’s really my only source of dairy unless I put some cheese on my salad but that’s rare.

(Dan Dan) #17

:thinking:

Fat is also not fully metabolised and so you are at risk of deficiencies, especially the fat soluble vitamins. It is worth checking levels. I was very deficient in A. D impacts all sorts of things and it is worth knowing what your levels are.

Creamer is often loaded with sugar - I would watch that. Far better to use heavy cream. You might find that dairy would be a good source of both fat and protein.

I’m not entirely sure what you are hoping to achieve by repeatedly quoting @WV-Chef and commenting with an emoji. Maybe you could elaborate further.

(Whitney ) #20

But isn’t creamer dairy?? I use Heavy whipping cream as my creamer…

Ah OK, I thought you meant creamer products which often have sugar and crappy stuff in. Cream is perfect.