Haven't even started and I'm going loco!

I like to research… I’m obsessively looking at keto sites, negatives, positives all that. I need to simplify this. I bought a book which is good. I’ve tried to NOT diet and not care about it for a while, but I just feel so awful physically. Tired , achy and the rest. Any advise for a crazy person already talking herself out of this!? thanks :kissing_heart:

Like Nike says, just do it! Get a plan together for the first couple weeks. You’re definitely going to want plenty of water and extra electrolytes. Figure out what you’re going to do for your lunches. Meals at home tend to be easier, but go ahead and save a few recipe ideas for dinner too. After the first week, or two, any cravings you’re having should disappear, and soon, you will probably start to notice other positive benefits. (More energy, and fewer aches.) After that, it will become laughably easy to continue.

(Tom) #3

Take things one day, one meal, one moment at a time. There are plenty of super fine-tuned keto protcols out there, but just start with cutting your carbohydrate intake to <20g/day, eat about 1gm of protein/lb of lean body weight, and fat to satiety. Measure your progress with tape measurements in addition to the scale. Take progress pics.

We’re using a fundamentally programed part of our inborn metabolic processes. It’ll happen without you even thinking about it or managing it intensively, so above all, start (and keep it) simple. If a time comes when you aren’t seeing the progress you’re hoping for, then, and only then, should things need a lot of analysis.

(Todd Allen) #4

I’m guessing your indecision indicates you are contemplating a very big change of diet. If so, transitioning a step at a time instead of diving fully in might be easier. For example, cut added sugars such as soda, juices and sweets, then cut refined flours and starches, then sweet fruits, starchy whole grains, etc. each time adding in more keto friendly foods. With each step you’ll hopefully feel better and have increasing motivation to take it further.

(Ashley Haddock) #5

I tell people to keep it simple. Start by working on lowering your carbs, that’s the most important part. Keep carbs below 20 and eat protein and fat until you’re satiated. Once you get where you’re comfortable with that you can work on fine tuning your protein goal.

(Angie) #6

I find if I don’t plan my meals in advance (like at least 2 days) I am more likely to go off. Make it simple… meat, eggs and healthy fats… then read the posts here and adjust your meals accordingly! If you make it simple, it’s not complicated…

Amazing stuff all :slight_smile: thank you! I’m not leery to eliminate, I just get caught up in all the noise. Keeping it simple is the best plan. Thanks! My friend is into her 2nd week and liking it. Another friend is in her 3rd month and it’s changed her life. Literally. So I’m looking forward to testing it out for a few months to see.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #8

This is one of my favorite KISS posts for beginners

(Ashley Haddock) #9

It’s definitely changed my life. Almost 15 months and 130+ lbs lost, rheumatoid arthritis pain GREATLY reduced (eliminated completely a lot of the time), normal female cycles for the first time in my life, lowered blood pressure, energy level is amazing. The list could go on.

(Becky Searls) #10

Electrolytes rec (I looked high and low and finally found a product I’m happy with so happy to share):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GF4TGIQ/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Becky Searls) #11

Or depending on your personality, just jump right in and take the “I’m free from French fries” “abstainer” (as opposed to “moderator”…these are all terms and ideas from my favorite author and podcaster on happiness and human nature, Gretchen Rubin… check her out at www.gretchenrubin.com ) approach. I know that always works best for me! It’s like a bolt of lightening (another rubinisim) hit and I just stopped eating the other way and haven’t looked back. So freeing!

(Becky Searls) #12

So happy for you! Keep it up!

Just jump in and get started. There is no one perfect way and you can have the best plan ever but then find it doesn’t work for you in practice. Just get started and see what happens! Good luck. x

(Elizabeth Collin) #14

I’m a newbie starting out and that’s what I’ve been doing…one step at a time. I avoid starches, pasta, bread, sugar. I bought a keto cookbook and am trying out the occasional recipe, especially ones I can freeze for later. My goal is to take these baby steps and go full-on keto in January. Take your time to adjust, you’ll have a better chance at sticking to it! :blush:

(Brian) #15

Can you figure out maybe three meals that are keto that you would enjoy eating for supper? Can you figure out a couple of keto meals that you can eat for breakfast? Can you figure out a snack or two that you might like munching on when you need a snack?

It’s not that hard. Start with something simple and easy that works and build on it.

Breakfast is pretty easy if you like eggs. Lots of ways to make eggs, with or without bacon, sausage, or various non-starchy veggies (like if you’re making an omelette). Coffee is pretty easy with some heavy whipping cream, maybe a touch of stevia if you like a little sweet.

Snacks can be something like a hard-boiled egg, a deviled egg, or maybe some roasted / salted pecans. Throw in an avocado somewhere in the mix if you like them. (I like them with a hard-boiled egg and a little mayo & salt. But they’re kinda messy if it’s something you’re thinking about for while you’re out and about.) Or some lunch meat wrapped around a piece of cheese.

Dinner doesn’t have to be difficult. Pick a meat that you like, could be steak, could be chicken or turkey, could be fish, lots of possibilities, and then find a veggie or two to go along with. Cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, spinnach (w/mushrooms, maybe?!), asparagus, turnip / mustard / collard green, zucchini (or yellow) squash, or any non-starchy veggie you like… just about all of which goes really well when it’s swimming in either butter or browned butter. Or you can have a side salad if you want. If you like spaghetti squash, you can have a bed of that with some low carb sauce and some meatballs on top. If you don’t like spaghetti squash, there are ways to use zucchini to make some things that give a fair substitute for pasta. There are options.

Thing of it is, if you’ll get started and you figure out some really good meals that you really like, you’ll find it’s not that difficult at all. In our house, we pretty much quit bringing home stuff that’s on the naughty / high carb list. If it’s in the fridge or the pantry, it’s the kind of stuff we eat with this way of eating. We don’t bring home potatoes or french fries or breads or pastries or pasta or rice or wheat flour or ice cream (unless it’s low carb and sugar free, which is seldom), or cereal or oatmeal or crackers… I’m sure you get the drift.

Don’t let nay-sayers or “studies” scare you. There are a lot of people here doing really well with this kind of diet and you can learn a whole lot just by reading through past posts. It’s not rocket science, just maybe a little different than you’ve been told is “healthful” all of your life. Lots of us here feel like we’ve been lied to for a very long time by people who may or may not know their backside from any meaningful nutritional information despite lots of letters after their names.

FWIW, I jumped in with both feet and pretty much never looked back. Keto flu was really not that big of an issue at all, maybe a day or so when I wasn’t feeling on top of things, but it passed quickly and the weight started coming off pretty quickly, too. I’m told it can be rather uncomfortable riding the fence as it only prolongs the change from being a sugar burner to being a fat burner. Get it over with and get on with living! (Only my opinion.) :wink:

Good luck!