Has anyone tried Jicama fries?

(Dustin Cade) #1

I’ve seen a video or two, just curious if anyone has tried them, if they are worth the effort…

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Carb-wise, it looks like it might be a better option than turnips, which are another go-to for potato substitute. Would also be interested in hearing anyone’s experience in terms of how they taste.

I’ve not cooked jicama. Just ate it raw. I’d be interested in hearing from others, too, on how it tastes cooked.

(Dustin Cade) #4

If I can find any locally I’ll get one and cook it up and post pictures…

If you have a food shop that caters to international foods then you will likely have a better chance finding them. I see them at Latin American type food shops.

(Dustin Cade) #6

we do have a huge international store near us, it’s overwhelming the amount of stuff they have… we’ve found some really good deals on things like avocado oil, ground cinnamon, shiritaki noodles and such…

(John) #7

Found a recipe and just bought one, was plan on testing tonight

(Dustin Cade) #8

I’ve got a 12 year old who struggles with our change to keto… I’m always looking for things to help him out that’s still keto…

I made them a few years ago. I can’t remember the recipe, but I know it called for sprinkling some Nutritional Yeast on them. We liked them.

(Dustin Cade) #10

Yeah I saw a video about that, I think we’ll try them without that first

(G. Andrew Duthie) #11

I just made a big batch of Parmesan crisps, and both my 13yo and my 10yo love them. I used the Cello grated Parmesan from Costco, and it worked a lot better than the shredded parm I was using before. I use a muffin-top pan to make a dozen at a time. Great crispy, salty snack.

(Larry Lustig) #12

Over the holidays I did some experimental latke (potato pancake) making using jicama, cerleriac, and turnip. None were satisfactory, but the jicama “acted” most like potato, making a convincing looking (if not tasting) fried pancake.

(Rema Strauss) #13

I get them at trader joe’s. Already cut up into sticks. Love them raw!!

(Dustin Cade) #14

The US?

(John) #15

So I made some following the most common recipe which was slicing, seasoning and 35-45 minutes at 400f. Not bad, but not great, definitely worth working on. The interior was still too firm, i left a few in longer to see if that helped but they got burnt not long after. These were closer to sweet potato to my palate, and the darker they got the sweeter they were, very caramelized flavor.

(Dustin Cade) #16

Maybe boil first, dry than fry in lard?

Hmmmm…me thinks there is a jicama poutine in my future I shall test. Sorry, I’m canadian. I can’t help it!

Long live poutine!

(Rema Strauss) #18

Yes, the US

(Rema Strauss) #19

Yes, US…There is probably not a Trader Joe’s in other countries…but I could be wrong.

(suzanna) #20

We used jicama for years as a corn chip substitute for gaucomole