Has anyone tried adding a little salt to their BPC?

(Brian) #1

I do like my morning cup of Joe. And I used to be big into the creamers of various kinds. Unfortunately, they’re mostly loaded with stuff I shouldn’t be consuming, at least the ones that I actually enjoyed. Gave up the Bailey’s and the Nestle’s when I started the keto WOE but still enjoy the HWC addition to it, it’s a little bland.

One thing I wondered, though, was whether anyone adds a little salt to their coffee? Not an overbearing amount, just a little. The things I’ve been trying… the stevia, some of that stuff, trying to make it sweet, just doesn’t seem to cut it. But salt is different. Haven’t decided whether I like it or not, but wondered if I’m the only one who went down that road.

Just curious. :slight_smile:

(Crippie) #2

I have tried using salted butter. It wasn’t bad at all, and I do it on occasion, but I tend to like my coffee a little sweeter, and the saltiness seemed to cut through the sweetness. But on days where I crave something a little salty or savory I will throw in salted butter instead.

(Leslie ) #3

I use salted butter almost exclusively and like it. Salt also cuts the bitterness if you happen to have coffee that’s a little bitter. A couple weeks ago I bought a different roast of beans to try. Really strong and dark! I ended up adding a pinch of Himalayan salt to the coffee.

(Sondra Rose) #4

I’m a black tea drinker. I add a pinch or two of salt and heavy cream to mine. Love it!

(Lauren) #5

Back when I was a coffee snob, I used to add salt to the grounds, and it was quite lovely. I should go back to adding different salts again to see how it all rounds out now that I have pink salt, black salt, and a more salts than I know what to do with.

(What The Fast?!) #6

I always add a bit of salt - cuts the bitterness of the coffee.

(Allie) #7

Yes I often add a pinch of salt, along with cinnamon and cayenne pepper.

I add Real Salt (full of minerals) to the grounds for smooth, sweet pot of coffee every time, and then a dash of the same in my cup before adding a dollop of heavy cream. Morning paradise!

(Brian) #9

Honestly, I never thought about adding some to the coffee grounds. I had only thought about putting it in the cup and stirring it in that way. I’ll have to try it. :slight_smile:

(Crippie) #10

Me neither! But after these posts I know what i am trying tomorrow morning!

(Randy) #11

I always add a few turns of my pink salt grinder to the grounds before I brew.

According to “The Salt Fix” dudes podcast, coffee strips you of some salt.

(Brian) #12

KHAN, that never occurred to me but I can see how I’m going to be adding some back in at the same time from here on out. :slight_smile:

Yep, yep, I a little pinch of salt to both my coffee and my tea. As others have mentioned, it helps with any bitterness, and it seems to enhance the flavor. Plus it’s a good way to get a little extra salt in your diet. My grandmother-in-law (in her nineties) recently visited, and I heard her mutter with incredulity, “Is she putting salt in her coffee???” I tried to explain my reasons to her, but she clearly wasn’t buying it.

(ManMythLegend) #14

My grandparents swore by and taught me to put salt in their coffee specifically for the reason @KetoLikeaLady mentioned. It gets rid of the bitterness.

(Allie) #15

Mine goes into the grounds too, as do the spices I use.

(Louise ) #16

After listening to the salt podcast, I’ve been adding salt to my morning cup as well. What a difference!

(Khara) #17

I have started adding salt to my black coffee when I’m doing a little longer of an intermittent fast. It’s just a way to get some extra salt but I had no idea it changed the bitterness or smoothness of coffee.

@LizinLowell I just wanted to point out this thread to you regarding smoothing out the bitterness of coffee with salt! Might be worth a try!

(Liz ) #18

Thank you! I have tried it unsuccessfully, I’ll give it another go, though. Probably just needs some tweaking. I do love salt :smile:

(Crippie) #19

Tried salt in the grounds this morning. It worked wonderfully. It was definitely less bitter, still seemed to cut the sweetness a little though. Will definitely be experimenting more!

(Khara) #20

Salt in my coffee at home has become pretty normal. Can’t wait to do this in a restaurant. :smirk: