Hambone

(Pete A) #1

What the heck do I do with this huge hambone? (after I eat the ham!) :grinning:

Ideas? (other than boiling the hell out of it!)

(John B) #2

Iā€™m curious as well, as I used to make red beans and rice, or split pea soup, but both those dishes are a bit heavy on the carbs.

(Pete A) #3

I hear ya @jobot I make chicken bone broth alot bit I donā€™t find the idea of adding this appealing (Iā€™d add beef or lamb to chicken though).

The obvious choice seems to boil it awhile and use the remains for vegetables, but so what? I just donā€™t think Iā€™ll like it enoughā€¦

(Doug) #4

Make a dog very happy. :smile: :dog:

(Pete A) #5

haha is what Iā€™m thinking!

(Sophie) #6

Weā€™d use something like that to season greensā€¦turnips, collards, mustard!

(Pete A) #7

You mean put it in the pot @JustPeachy on the stove with the veggies and a little water and simmer?

(Veronica C) #8

Definitely BONE BROTH Worthy - Roast an assortment of bones with a heavily salted course-chop (1-2 inch chunk) mire poix (onion, carrot, celery) at 425 for 20 min in avocado oil. Then dump everything into an Instant Pot with .25 c of ACV & 2 bay leaves, with as much water you can add (per Instant pot instructions). High pressure cook it for at least 3 hours.

Adding an assortment of bones (chicken, lamb & pork) minimizes the gamey flavor of beef bones in this bone broth. Freeze extra in glass jars. When I heat it up to eat, I donā€™t need to add ACV, but I add a pinch of dulse (seaweed) because it adds more salty Unami flavor.

(Jo O) #9

Store it in the freezer and add other bones and veggiesā€™ cast-offs (tips, roots, any bits that you would normally trash. Especially onion skins, celery, parsley/cilantro stems.)
Then make broth out of all this.
Maybe add thyme and bay leaf.

(Sophie) #10

Sure. I know you said you didnā€™t want to boil the hell out of it, but thatā€™s how weā€™d use a hambone down here in the south as far as keto goes. Itā€™s really for seasoning greens. Works great too! Add a little water, salt, cayenne if you have a penchant and greens of choice. (Mustard is very tender and wonā€™t take long, turnips are pretty tender too and collards are tough little bastards and will take some time.) Let it simmer until the greens are tender. Make some keto cornbread for all that potlikker and its called Hog Heaven! :wink:

(Pete A) #11

Iā€™m in the south too. Iā€™ve put bacon grease in my veggies and know the ā€œham hockā€ concept. Being I dont want to throw it away Iā€™ll probably do something like that.

Thanks for the suggestion! I may try these other wonderful ideas too :grinning: