Ham is 99 cents a pound!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

If you’re anywhere near a Chef’s Store, start driving. Spiral cut ham is 99 cents a pound until February 13.

My freezer is now full. Om, nom, nom.

What. You lucky people, there. Whatever kind of ham that is… We NEVER have such prices.

(Bob M) #3

Usually, it’s ham on the bone where they cut it around the bone in “spirals”. The ham is smoked. That was my breakfast.

SCORE!
not a ham fan, never was but if my hubby saw that there would be tons in the freezer :wink:

Get it while the gettin’ is good…sure wish ribeye and other beef would go that low, wishful thinking on that one :clown_face:

But pork is due to rise, alot of new standards on farming practices going down on hog farming, with improvements to humane practice etc which is going to cost the farmers millions in renovations to hit the policy standards etc. and those pork prices are gonna reflect it for sure…go grab now while ya can.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

You are correct, sir. It’s pretty…chomp, chomp…salty, but I’ve found ways to…smack, smack…cut the salt with cheese and eggs and other…chomp, smack…ingredients. Also, if you fry it, it’s practically bacon. Burp!

I just wish I had the freezer space to save the bones for soups and chowders.

(Robin) #6

Oh man! I could live on spiral ham alone. Meaning I would leave my husband for it.

I didn’t even know there is a thing as spiral ham before. And I googled and now I want it :sob:
Or some other decent ham. I liked ham as a kid and met some great ones. But ham in supermarket… I just read the ingredients list and put it back. And it’s around Easter, the selection is way worse and the price is higher normally…
Maybe I should search harder… We have hock, that’s nice but a big part is bone and skin (the type of skin I can’t eat. okay, the cats can… but they eat cheaper stuff even more gladly), the fat layer is big and it’s together… I prefer marbling but that wouldn’t be that big of a problem… And they are smoked (that’s nice) and super salty (that’s not). My SO can eat it, cooked in a huge pot of legumes… I would have a harder time with it. Bacon is different as I can eat 10-20g per egg, I don’t want to do that with other meats…

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

The one I bought isn’t exactly pure, it’s cured with a few things but nothing that bothers me. It did, however, come with a bloated package of dehydrated sugars and other flavorings that you’re supposed to make into a glaze or something. Needless to say, I’ve currently got four plastic poison balloons filling up my kitchen trash bin at the moment.

(Will) #9

What a fantastic find!!!

(Laurie) #10

We had hams on sale at Thanksgiving and Christmas for CAD 1.99 a pound. An excellent price for meat in Canada.

I bought 7 hams altogether, cut them up, and froze them in 1-poundish packages. Not all at once, as the hams have a fridge life of several weeks.

My hams are not spiralized and also not salty. They taste perfect to me. (I don’t like salty.)

I seldom have ham as a main dish. I use it to supplement other meals, e.g., ham and eggs. Or I mix chunks of ham into ground beef dishes – tastes pretty good actually.

Oh I am not particularly choosy myself, I mostly have problems with hams having too little meat and too much water (I have a lot of problems with ingredients lists but meat products aren’t that bad)… Easter ham here has a lot of extra water, at least it’s my realization after a single Easter in a single supermarkets. I lost interest, I know a cute pig farm shop nearby anyway… The stuff here is too salty though. Except the sausage. They have some super good sausage :smiley:

Glazed ham isn’t a thing here, fortunately. It’s so weird to me that people talk about sugary meats on this forum (desiring it, actually eating it or complaining about their family doing that at Christmas). Sugar and meat never should mix according to my taste… I can handle <1% in some meat products as I don’t feel that but I am not happy with that and do my best to buy meat without any added sugar. It’s not hard but restricts my options and many other things restrict my options already so there are exceptions.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #12

Here, too. I’ve heard it’s a nefarious technique for bumping up the sale weight but I suspect it’s also to counter the loss of juiciness after much of the fat has been trimmed. At 99 cents a pound, I can cope. I can turn it into all sorts of flavors by varying the temperature and duration of cooking. Today’s hike on the coast will be fueled by a bowl of hot ham 'n cheese.

ham thru curing is not a ‘pork’ taste I enjoy so I never would do ham in any way in that THIS IS just me LOL but darn if it was all I had I would hound it down for sure on a hike :slight_smile:

for me on hikes is beef sticks and tuna and sardines. I find those tasting natural vs. what ‘a ham even though bought more clean’ just doesn’t set it for me but key being, bring the meat/ seafood fish or fowl we can in our packs is so wonderful! Took me a bit what fits in the pack and can travel thru a long mt hike and suit me. we are all works in progress on what to being wtih us LOL

(Bob M) #14

I’m having ham again, for lunch. I made the mistake of not cutting up the ham into smaller chunks and instead freezing them whole. Not a great idea, as the current ham I have is huge. I’ve been eating it sometimes twice a day and still will be lucky to eat it all before it goes bad.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #15

Ham freezes really well, grab some freezer bags and look forward to future ham memories.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #16

Oh, man, I was freakin’ out until I remembered these come in a can–Ha, ha!

When on a hike, I had nuts and in the distant past, raisins, some kind of easy to grab egg stuff too… Not much as my first proper meal always was in the afternoon. But then I just never ate until I was finished (it never lasted beyond 3, maybe 4pm but I did many tinier ones as well) so I could have a proper big meal in peace when properly hungry…

(Bob M) #18

I bought it refrigerated it, then froze it, then defrosted it. Can I refreeze it?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

After cooking it? Sure.

But don’t freeze, thaw, and freeze a second time after cooking.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #20

Er…I’m confused. You just said you can freeze it after cooking but don’t freeze it after cooking…