Ham is 99 cents a pound!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

Sorry it wasn’t clear. You can freeze it once after cooking, but freezing it a second time after it’s been thawed after that first freezing is what is not a good idea.

yes if you thawed it out in the fridge in the cold.

if you let it defrost on the counter then no, you should cook it and use it at that point.

of course the more you defrost and refreeze the more crappy that meat will become.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

Okay, there’s still confusion here. Bob asked if frozen ham could be cooked, and then frozen again after cooking. I said that was fine, but that once frozen after cooking, it should not be frozen a second time.

In general, thawing uncooked meat, cooking it, freezing the leftovers and thawing them once more is safe, because the cooking will have killed off the bacteria that grew during the thawing process. You wouldn’t want to freeze the leftovers a second time, however.

I checked with my sister, the public health expert, and she says that ham, because it’s cured, is a different matter. She says that no one will tell you it’s safe to freeze cooked ham twice, but they won’t tell you it’s unsafe, either.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #24

Okay, got it. And I agree on the cured ham not necessarily being dangerous to freeze twice, but everything I thaw gets eaten so fast, anyway, I can’t imagine putting anything back in the freezer!

well heck Bob was just too confusing and we all answered all around the crazy HA

Yes if it was thawed to cook and frozen one time and defrosted again, I would not refreeze. eat or throw to me at that point.

heck did I get that answer right? weee…

(Stickin' with mammoth) #26

Ham is magical:

(Jane) #27

I just googled the nearest store to me… 400 miles!

:cry:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #28

Narrow your search to pig farms with low security.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

:rofl::rofl::rofl::pig2::pig: