Half marathon long run in training

(Alec) #1

Hey guys
Just wanted to tell you that this morning I did a half marathon long run. Fairly slow, but it was hilly, and I did it 1km on/off effort wise, meaning I pushed a little on the on ks, but did a fairly sedentary pace on the off ks.

No feeding, no water, no nothing!! Was fairly tired towards the end, but I felt I actually could go longer, and decided not to simply not to compromise my training in the next week.

I say all this to encourage everyone to train longer if you want to without the crutch of taking in calories on the run. Your bodyfat is perfectly fine for use on the run, and is a hell of a lot easier to access than bars or shakes or even fatbombs!! Try it and see! :+1::running_man:t4::grinning:

(Allie) #2

@Alecmcq well done! Fantastic result :grinning:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

I so prefer to run without having eaten for at least 8 hours, if not more.

But occasionally I can only fit a run in after 3 hours or so after a meal, and I always feel heavy and sluggish on those runs. I’ve read that it takes approximately 3 hours to digest a meal. I think it takes me longer or something else is going on still, because even 3-5 hours after, I just dont perform well and I even get an upset stomach while running, almost as if I’m trying to run on a full stomach.

(less is more, more or less) #4

As my kids said five years ago, your post has “all the feels.” I’m still excited by my half last fall, and look forward to another this fall.

(Doug) #5

Alec, right on - inspiring stuff. I agree - in anything other than really hot weather when the perspiration is intense, we can run for a long ways before needing anything. I mean, I’ve seen people carrying more than one water bottle for a 5k… :smile:

Water aside, the old rule of thumb was that marathoners “hit the wall” around 20 miles, and these are mighty lean people to start with. I’ve run (long ago, not even fat-adapted) as far as 23 miles/37km in warm, not hot, weather and felt fine the whole way, with nothing.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

I hit 11.6 miles on Wednesday. Did it really early in the morning to beat the heat and felt great doing it.

I’m so pumped for my half coming up.

(Alec) #7

LeeAnn
You are going to nail this HM. Great stuff!!:ok_hand:

(Kate ) #8

My half is in October- so glad to see your post and replies!