Hair Loss on Keto, please help

(Elizabeth ) #1

Hi everyone, I started Keto for the first time on August 23,2020 and started noticing significant hair loss at the start of November 2020, which was really just approx 2 months into doing keto. At that time I realized that I wasn’t having enough protein after getting some help here on the forum and had immediately increased my protein intake significantly from around 30 grams per day to now taking around 60 give or take, sometimes almost 70. At the start of December 2020 after I got the hang of eating a lot more protein I started taking hair growth pills and collagen powder and occasionally will have bone broth with the collagen as well, and I don’t fast. I have 2 large meals per day and a snack in between and this seems to work for me. My calorie intake per day is around 1350 cal to 1400 per day. I do exercises regularly around 5x per per week, a combination of walks or youtube workouts for about 30 min and I have a sedentary job. Now well into January my hair fall out is still going on so that’s almost 3 months of hair fall out and I am just wondering how I even have hair left. I just had a hair cut this past Saturday and my hairstylist said my hair fall out was not normal (she doesn’t know about keto). I was so scared to see her because I knew she would be washing my hair and pulling on it to detangle it for the cut but it had to be done and I’m glad that is over, I am letting my grays grow out (going to be 5 months now) and I wouldn’t dare even think of dying it right now I’m so scared of excess fall out. I just ordered some MSM powder on the advice from a keto thread on hair loss from over a year ago on this forum so decided to ask for help on a new thread. I’m on the 3rd month of hair loss now. How much longer will the hair loss continue for? And when will this supposed thicker growth start coming in? Any other advice on supplements? My thyroid is normal, I had it check October 2020. Will my hair stay thinned out forever while on keto or will it recover back to normal or just slightly? This part of keto has been an utter nightmare. Any help or insight with regard to how long hair loss on keto lasts and what can be done to help the situation would be greatly appreciated :pray:

(Laurie) #2

Hi Elizabeth. I hope someone will be able to help you with your specific situation. In the meantime, you could check out these two recent threads. Best wishes.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Hair loss is common with any major change in diet. A search on the forum should turn up quite a bit of information about other people’s experiences.

(Rebecca ) #4

Is it actually falling out (root and all) or breaking? Have you had thyroid levels checked?

(Elizabeth ) #5

Yeah its falling out at the root and my thyroid was normal as of October 2020.

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

Your body is using nutrients for essentials like your heart and muscles, hair loss is common on many diets. I had it and I have even more hair than I lost. This thread will give you more info.

Hi Elizabeth.
Its very annoying, isn’t it? Mine started falling out first when my iodine levels were low,- and I started taking Iodoral. It started then again when I began extended fasting. It’s leveled off now, but when I do a long fast, it’ll happen again.
I don’t have too much help to offer, except fpr the Iodoral which you can buy on Amazon. I started dabbing a little Rogaine on my sparce areas- just to see if it would help at all.

(KCKO, KCFO) #13

Collagen peptides seem to be helping my DH’s hair loss a bit, His is not lose from WOE but genetics, his mom had exactly the same balding spot as he did. They are also very good for skin. So if you are really concerned you might want to add in some to your WOE.