Hair loss! Help! Don’t wanna quit!

Hi!

I’ve been doing keto for about 3mos going on my fourth. I was super strict at first and was down 16lbs then the kids brought home Halloween candy, holiday, etc but mostly I’d say I’ve been 90-95% keto.

The past few weeks I’ve had noticeable hair loss! A handful before and after a shower!!! I’ve researched it and it says it can be a side effect, obviously not an attractive one.

I’ve started taking some supplements (multi, biotin, collegan) in hopes to slow it down or stop it with little relief.

I never hit my calorie intake and come very close to fat and protein intake.

Has anyone else had this problem? How do you fix it? How long should I expect this hair loss?

Ughhhh and to top it all off HAIR is my profession. No one wants a bald hair dresser!

I’m also seeing more hair loss than I’d like and I’m also 3.5 mos in.

I’ve seen others say it does subside and that it’s about the weight loss, not the diet. I feel great and just got back stellar blood test results.

My plan is to treat it like post pregnancy when I also lost hair like mad. Thankfully, I’m starting with a lot of hair. I’m just gonna keep going. I feel and look so much better that if nature meant for me to be bald as a result of the right diet, I guess that’s how it’s gonna be. :woman_shrugging:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Any change in diet can result in hair loss, apparently. It’s usually temporary. If you use the forum search function to search for posts about hair loss, you might be greatly reassured.

(Amy) #4

Google “telogen effluvium”. After a stressful event like a big dietary change (I also had it after a bad case of flu), around 30% or more of your hair goes into its resting phase, and then is pushed out after 2-4 months when the new hair starts to grow in. It’s different than losing hair due to a nutritional deficiency, which happens more gradually. It’s too late now to stop it, once it goes into that stage, it has to run its course. I’m going through it now too, (4 months into keto).
Don’t worry, it won’t all fall out and new hairs are already growing in their place.

Thank you! I figured out how to do that after this post since I’m brand new! Tried to delete and couldn’t!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Hey, no problem. But unlike on other forums, the search function here actually turns up useful stuff, so I like to promote using it when I can. Keep calm and keto on! You’re doing fine.

Too late to stop it! Sheesh alrighty!
:woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:

Good thing 21st century has cute wigs rights?!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

To say nothing of the Sinead O’Connor look! :grin:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

So from what I have read hairs have a life cycle and keto can cause a reset in your hair growth cycle causing a lot of new hair growth that will push out older hairs. Your hair should look thicker in 6 months to a year depending on it’s length. Long hair takes longer to get thick again. A shorter hair style may help after the newer hair gets an inch or so long. It will have normal thickness sooner.

I have read that adding more collagen can help prevent/correct hair loss.

Thank you so much everyone for your help!!!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #13

One thing I cannot praise enough, is Sole water made with Himalayan salt. Basically, you get 84 trace minerals per serving, and it’s cheap as heck, and easy as heck to make. I was losing hair pretty bad, started doing Sole water daily, and my hair grew back within a month, honestly.

Sole water is basically Himalayan salt, either ground, chunk or pebble form, placed in a glass jar, halfway filled with the salt, and halfway with filtered water. You mix it around, let it sit overnight, and the following morning you start off adding 1 Tsp to 12oz of water and drink it down. It’s a great and cheap electrolyte, mineral supplement. I drink it every single morning, right after I get out of bed. It also is known to help adrenal fatigue.

Also, let NO METAL touch this water. Basically the salt, once absorbed into the water, has an electrical charge to it (not that we can see with the naked eye). Once metal touches it via spoon, or metal lid, it de-ionizes the water and making it far less valuable.

I can’t say enough good stuff about Sole. I dont see nearly enough people talking about it. It’s great for Keto because it’s full of electrolytes. I sip a bit multiple times a day and it gets rid of Keto headaches esp starting out.

(Marianne) #14

I have been losing an alarming amount of hair, but prior to starting keto (I’ll be in a panic if I lose more from diet!). Luckily, I had a lot of hair to begin with. Anyway, mine was due to my thyroid levels being off. Just wanted to put that out there. I hope it all grows back!

(Jon) #15

Doing a thyroid / iron / vitamin panel / general blood panel at your GP is a good advice.
It most probably is keto, but better to be safe than sorry.

Telogen Effluvium is extremely common with all sorts of trauma periods to the body and mind.
Usually within 9-12 months the hair will return.

Remember those vitamins and vegetables!