Hack to make shirataki noodles softer?

Long-time lurker here. I was looking for a way to make shirataki noodles a little softer. I came across this hack for kelp noodles, which has a similar consistency as shirataki noodles. So, I used the same soaking instructions (soak in room temperature water with half a lemon and salt). I want to say that they did end up being a softer texture than normally, but it might just all be in my head, LOL. I tried soaking them with lemon and apple cider vinegar–and it seemed to work on both tries. Maybe someone else can try this technique and tell me if they think it actually worked.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #2

So they weren’t as chewy? I’m guessing that’s what you mean by softer. If so, great! The curry recipe sounds good, too.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

I hear the angel hair are the best, the thin noodle seems to not feel a much like chewing on rubber bands. You want to soak them for a while with a couple of water changes to get rid of the funky smell, then dry fry them in a skillet to remove as much water as you can. As they dry out they get an improved less rubbery texture. I don’t think soaking in an acid would help soften them. :man_cook:t3: :cowboy_hat_face:

(Brandy) #4

Nah- there’s really no trick to soften them up more, at least that I’ve found. I agree with @David_Stilley regarding the prep process though, as well as the insight regarding only using the thinnest variety. The texture is much more appealing. I’ve also found that I only like them for certain types of dishes, namely the ones that call for rice noodles such as mei fun, chow fun, pad thai, etc.

I also just noticed that you’re asking folks to try this method. I’ve got some in the fridge and will give it a shot tomorrow- until then!

I hope it wasn’t only in my head, lol. I want to say the shirataki noodles were just a little less crunchier than it normally is when I soaked them. But, I love shirataki and don’t really mind the crunch in certain dishes. I first used them way before they became popular and kind of use to the texture by now. Accidentally found shirataki in a Don Quijote’s in Hawaii (which is a huge Japanese supermarket). I just bought kelp noodles and going to see how much softer it turns out when I soak them in water, salt, and lemon juice.

(Brandy) #6

@sierra.tango- I am most familiar with Don Quijote’s.

So I did the lemon water soak. No discernible change in texture, but I did make some Singapore mei “fun” for my lunch, which was a welcome change of pace that I would not have made had I not run this little experiment with you. So cheers to experimentation!

Hmmm… this gives me an idea. I’m going to try parboiling them with baking soda to see what happens. It definitely softens the tofu skin noodles I make.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

Try the dry fry. If it doesn’t work you can still use them.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #9

Whenever I ate noodles like these - and I haven’t for ages - I didn’t mind the fishy whiff but found them such a chore to chew, chew, chew! I found the kitchen scissors to be very useful to snip them into tiny pieces!