Guiltless instant faux ice cream

(Todd Allen) #1

2 tbl butter
1 heaping tsp cocoa powder
dash of salt
dash of stevia extract
4 tsp kefir
3 tbl frozen blueberries

Put room temperature butter into coffee cup with cocoa, salt and stevia. Stir madly with teaspoon until evenly creamy. Add kefir 1 teaspoon at a time stirring madly keeping mixture smooth and evenly creamy. Add the frozen blueberries. Stir a little and you get a frozen chunky mass. Let sit a minute. Stir some more. Sit. Stir. Taste. Stir. Taste. Until blueberries have thawed and ice cream is smoothly frozen. Or until your cup is empty.

I assume this recipe is infinitely hackable. Change any or every ingredient. Use heavy whipping cream instead of the butter and the thinning agent and it might be easier to get a smooth texture, though it will no longer be faux ice cream and it will have a lower fat%. I choose butter because it is easy for me to get great butter like Kerrygold but it’s hard to find great cream without additives such as carrageenan. I like kefir because it is easy to make, provides pro-biotics & K2 and has less lactose than whole milk.

Anyway use fats of your choice - avocado & coconut oils, nut butters? Use different flavorings - I like natural/undutched cocoa which is high in polyphenols but sometimes I like other flavors such as vanilla extract, mint extract, ultra fine ground coffee, cinnamon, etc. Use a different sweetener. Use a different thinning agent - whole milk, almond milk, yogurt, sour cream? You can use less or more as you prefer for desired thickness though the less you use the easier it is to keep the mixture homogenous and probably the less freezing agent needed. Use a different freezing agent - I like TJ’s wild boreal tiny blueberries because they suck the heat out of the cream fast freezing it while they quickly thaw. But puree any fruit and freeze in a thin layer on wax paper or use an external ice+salt bath if you don’t have a few g of spare carb budget for fruit. One could make a bigger batch in a food processor and ice cream maker though I enjoy the process of hand churning and sampling as I go in search of the perfect texture. And it’s safer for me to make this in a modest portion size as I can easily keep eating this past satiety.