Guess What? Most Fruits & Veggies Are Man Made Hybrid Plants

science

(Bunny) #21

Looks like they also do this to the grains too: “…Plant breeding is a long, thorough process that often takes a decade or more before a new hybrid is ready. …” …More

1. Re-discovering ancient wheat varieties as functional foods
  1. “…1997, a team of European scientists used DNA fingerprinting to confirm what many scholars had already suspected: that einkorn was domesticated near Karacadağ, a volcano near the Turkey-Syria border where wild einkorn still grows today. Einkorn counts as one of the “founder crops,” a small group of plants domesticated around the same time in the Fertile Crescent. These crops, the agricultural techniques they required, and the sedentary lifestyle they engendered spread across the western world in what we now call the Neolithic Revolution—the historical moment when humans first traded in nomadic hunting and gathering for permanent settlements. …More

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #22

This is such a great thread. I knew about the domestication of these plants and had read about them and how they had been drastically changed, but reading and seeing are two different things. The pictures are very informative and I had never rethought the whole “fruits and veg are important to eat” through the lens of they aren’t really natural.

Anyone who has tried the cotton candy grapes that are available can see first hand how we have made everything so much sweeter and full of carbs.

(Carl Keller) #23

Alligators and crocs. Sadly they are not very keto friendly since they are quite lean and don’t have much fat.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #24

Plant breeding used to take that long but due to scientific advances the wheat that we eat today doesn’t resemble the wheat of twenty years ago with regards to nutritional content, and that seed has been created and developed quite quickly by Monsanto (I believe).

(Bunny) #25

I always envisioned Paleo cave peeps accidentally stumbling upon a field of broccoli or cauliflower and started munching it down until today, that just isn’t so…

They was eating mostly meat & fat!

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #26

I know, me too, who ever looked at the small fruit of the corn and said gotta make that bigger.

The Maya and Aztecs actually had scientific experiments set up to improve their potato and corn crops and to determine where best to grow them. They also had way more varieties of corn than we have today.

(Ken) #27

Not to mention their use of Amaranth.

(Central Florida Bob ) #28

I’ve had gator before, but that still didn’t leave me automatically thinking of them as part of the food chain. Served fried with mayo/horseradish sauce, they’re not bad.

Whereas they seem to think of us as food.

(Carl Keller) #29

Same here. I had it deep fried like chicken fingers and I was surprised how juicy it was. Definitely better than deer meat and most wild animal meats I’ve tried.

(Bob M) #30

But what about these primitive broccoli hunters? :wink:

(Bob M) #31

Monsanto is corn. Wheat has been hybridized (crossed with other grasses) to make it smaller and for other characteristics.

(Bunny) #32

Those are UFO’s (pretending to be flying broccoli) and the aliens taught us how to hybrid mustard weeds into broccoli …lol

(Running from stupidity) #33

Oh, we have them here as well, I see. Far out. That’s embarrassing.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #34

Just did some research as I wasn’t sure, but Borlaug the father of the dwarf wheat variety that is common today in the US, sold his invention to monsanto because he was friends with a Monsanto executive. Monsanto has paid for and done extensive research on this variety.

(bulkbiker) #35

I never thought we’d get you on the carnivore pathway!.. well done…

(Omar) #36

this is new information for me

(Bob M) #37

Sorry, I did not know Monsanto was also involved with wheat.

Then, there’s this:

I have been using Einkorn wheat for holidays, to get the kids and others eating a (possibly) “healthier” wheat. It’s quite a bit different than modern wheat – you can’t really get a good “skin” on the flour (if you’re familiar with working with modern wheat), as the gluten structure is different. It produces a thicker, more dense bread.

I usually eat some myself, depending on the holiday. I can’t tell whether it affects me the same as normal wheat, as I usually eat other stuff too.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #38

When I was reading about Monsanto I saw that article but didn’t read it. Because of your link I went back and read it. Scary especially when you think about the gardener who recently won a case against monsanto for roundup/glyphosate exposure. My parents are from a community that sits among wheat fields and all I can think of is the exposure they must get when the wind blows in the right direction on the days they are spraying.

It is terrible what we put in our food. What they put into and on factory meat isn’t much better. Sad.

(Chris) #39

This is what we get when our entire system is based on business. It’s entirely profit-driven.

Your food is retail. Your medicine is retail. Your healthcare is retail. Your life insurance is retail.

Some asshole in an office somewhere made a commission on my health insurance. That infuriates me. Maybe I’m misplaced in my thinking, I could be, I’m not perfect. But it seems this is the case.

This came off disparaging… I don’t have anything against the people in those jobs, so if you took offense to this I apologise but it’s not targeted at you, it’s at the industries at large.

(John) #40

Everybody trying to make a buck selling something. You just have to thread your way through the deceit and profiteering as best you can. Avoid anything related to a big corporation whenever possible, which is increasingly difficult.