Groggy!

(Sarah Leighton) #1

Hi I’m on day 12 of keto but need some advice. I’ve stuck to it everyday and haven’t gone over 20g carbs. I’ve been using an app to track the macros. The First 6 days were fine and I actually felt quite good.
On day 7 I felt ill with flu symptoms and could barely move from the sofa. I understand that this is normal and powered through.
I’m now on day 12 and still having symptoms. Mainly I feel groggy. It’s worse when I wake up and is taking me a few hours to clear my head on a morning. I’m doing some light exercise but don’t think I could manage any more.
Urine strips indicate that I’m in ketosis and I am definitely less bloated my stomach feels like it’s been deflated which is good. The scales haven’t really changed but I’m not overly concerned as I view this as a long term lifestyle rather than a quick way to loose weight.
I’m just wondering if it’s normal to experience flu like symptoms for so long and when I can expect them to subside? Has anyone else had this when starting off? I’m going to keep going in the hope the groggy head will clear up in time but would really like to hear if anyone else felt like this when starting? Thank you!

(mole person) #2

You almost certainly need more sodium. Take a full teaspoon of salt and take a 1/4 teaspoon of it at a time four times a day. This is in addition to any salt that you already put on your food. If you don’t put much salt on your food already you can increase this amount to 1.5 or even 2 teaspoons.

We lose a lot of salt early in keto and our body needs time to figure out better regulation under the new macronutrient regime.

(Sarah Leighton) #3

Brill I will do that! Thank you for the advice:-)

(less is more, more or less) #4

I agree with @Ilana_Rose. As an alternative, consider incorporating beef broth. (Avoid the low sodium, natuch, and check ingredients! Some broths add sugar.) These are Drs Phinney and Westman’s “go-to” to help with keto flu. I prefer it to straight salt.

(Sarah Leighton) #5

Thank you for the help I would never gave thought about just eating salt! I don’t use salt in cooking so it’s logical I might be running low. I’ve had some already and going to have done before bed fingers crossed I don’t feel as bad tomorrow!

And most certainly need more electrolytes in general. Add some magnesium and potassium or high quality (not flavored) liquid drops for water.