Greetings - New to Keto - Participating in University Research

(KB Keto) #1

Hello Everyone. I have just begun a study on the Keto Diet and will be logging my progress here (https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1493028461). I will probably shift the diet here since there seems to be a lot more support - Where’s the best place?

The TACTICAL ATHLETES IN NUTRITIONAL KETOSIS (TANK) study will be conducted by researchers at The Ohio State University. The primary purpose of this research is to characterize the keto-adapted state in a group of healthy volunteers with an emphasis on health, metabolic, performance, and military relevant outcomes. This will be a 12 week feeding and training study with pre- and post-testing battery.

Pre-Testing
Baseline Testing
Anthropometrics
Metabolic Rate
Body Composition
Cognitive Baseline
Cardiopulmonary Function/Performance
MRI Fat Quantification
Cognitive, Anaerobic, &
Military Relevant Performance

The study will test both Exercise and Cognitive change
Coaching and guidance to be provided by Registered Dietitians
Self Report Food Record
Daily Blood Ketone Monitoring

The Objectives are:

1. Determine metabolic and physiologic adaptations in energy metabolism, oxidative stress, inflammation and endocrine function at rest and during exercise.
  2. Assess changes in several aspects of physical performance including aerobic capacity, anaerobic power, strength, force production, body composition and military-specific fitness testing.
  3. Assess cognitive functioning (reaction time, decision making and higher order thinking) at rest and in response to sleep deprivation and physical exertion.

Highlights of the 12 week keto study

1. Muscle Biopsy 2x pre and post
  2. Blood Draws associated with test session 3 - 2x pre and post
  3. MRI Screening – must be MRI safe candidate
  4. 3 month commitment – 30hrs training + 16hrs testing
  5. Consume only minimal alcohol
  6. Glucose and/or Ketone Monitoring Daily

Wish me luck.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #2

@KBDelight this will be interesting research to follow, have fun! Your link where you’ll track is not working.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #3

Your tracking could fit as a new topic under Newbies if you’re new to keto, you’ll likely receive a lot of support on questions there. You could consider a new topic under Progress/n=1 to share your individual dat a and observations.

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/newbies

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/progress/n-1

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #4

I’d go for all of it except the muscle biopsy.
Sheeeeeesh

(KB Keto) #5

Yea the Muscle Biopsy itself was not bad… the feeling like I ran into the corner of a coffee table multiple times the next day was not great.

The MRI wasn’t all that fun either - especially the scans right after finishing my VO2 Max test. Imagine sliding into a tube and still trying to recover.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #6

(KB Keto) #7

I started a post where I am tracking my diet and exercise over in N=1 so please check it out there. Would love the support, feedback, and anything else that can help me or others as they experience Keto.