Greetings! Another newbie here

Wow am I glad to find this forum! I was really lost!
Last week started taking Keto Os and following a LCHF diet. I was disappointed in no changes after a week and I was told to eat less fat.

I found the getting started topic very helpful here and forgot to print what my goal/ideal eating would be. When I get home from work I will get the app. I am anxious to read more of the posts here.

Is there a book you all recommend or topics to get me on my way? although I haven’t noticed much body change, I did notice yesterday that a bum knee that I struggle with felt pretty darn good. I am hoping this is a side effect of the eating plan.

:slight_smile:

(Siobhan) #2

Generally to start out it is <20g of carbs, moderate protein (.5-1.5g per kg of lean body mass), and fat to satiety.
On keto you do not need any “products”, powders, or anything else people try to sell you - just good food. You can use them if you want though.

You can find food lists and explanations at:

For starters. For food ideas you can check out

the recipes recipes recipes section of this forum
Among many other options

Don’t calorie restrict, and don’t restrict fat. Try not to snack, and if you find yourself hungry between meals add more fat to meal times.

Generally it takes 1-3 months (sometimes less, sometimes more, depends on the person) to become fat adapted, and start actually losing weight again after induction.

Until then try to focus on NSVs (non-scale victories) like your improved knee! You may also notice some other things like clearer/softer skin, less frizzy hair, less other aches and pains, more energy, looser fitting clothes, etc

And always remember to KCKO (Keep Calm and Keto On) and don’t be afraid of asking questions!

Thank you for your reply. When I get home tonight I will check out the links.

Yeah I wondered about the ketone products. A friend convinced me to buy it and I said I would commit to two months along with eating so I am stuck with it for now.

I am hoping this plan will work for me. Good advice siobhan. I also was happy to learn about the 3 weeks it takes for the body to adjust…I was looking for fast results people talk about and feeling discouraged. So that’s a relief.

Thanks again for your help.

(Siobhan) #4

There will always be people who astonish us with super quick results, but unfortunately for many of us it can be a rather slow process - however that slow progress is completely normal all the same.
Especially when it comes to weight (which often doesn’t tell us the whole story) which is why progress pictures and measurements (waist, etc) can be so helpful. :slight_smile:

I did not know whether keto would be right for me either, but I told myself I’d give myself 2 months of strictly following it and see what happens… over that two months I had plenty of NSVs, including improved and more stable mood and WAY less inflammation, to the point that I decided to keep with it forever! I hope you have just as good results and come to enjoy keto as much as I do!
Good luck and have fun! Keep us up to date on your progress!

(Mike Glasbrener) #5

Welcome!

I doubt you need supplements if your eating right… if you’re not they probably won’t help. The Keto O’s you’re drinking have “no artificial sweeteners”. But they contain natural sugar alcohols. For most people they’re not a problem. For some it’s an impediment. If you’re not consuming many carbs (<20gr) and are still struggling skipping the Keto O’s for a few days would be something to try. Everyone is different in that some get away with being less struck and others not so much. Over time and self experimentation you will learn what works for you and what doesn’t.

As @siobhan pointed out minimize carbs, eat fat to satiety. A NSV that you will see over time is much better control over your appetite.

KCKO

(Trudi La Rose) #6

Also, women often take much longer to see significant weight loss. I’m 6 months in and lost only 5 lbs. I have a totally different body now though.

(mich) #7

Hi! I still consider myself a Newbie (started first week of May, had an indulgent weekend at the beginning of June, so I reset and now I’ve been back on track for 3 weeks), and I’ve found that besides spending some time stalking this forum, listening to the first 4 or 5 2KetoDudes podcast is a fantastic source of information and getting it right. Each time I listen to the podcasts, I pick up on something new.
I dont really need to lose weight, I just wanted to feel better and less bloated and I am absolutely finding results in that respect. I have lost maybe 2-3kgs, but my measurements are decreasing, and I feel like I should. Hope this helps:slight_smile:

Thank you for your insights. It is helpful. I think podcasts will be helpful too. The simplicity presented In this forum has been good, as there is a lot of info out there with varying “techniques” that are confusing.

I want to understand more about why/how this works in the body as it will help me keep on track without seeing much external results.

BUT! The fact my knee is is almost pain free is huge. I can’t believe it. I could hardly walk one week ago. I did not expect this.

(Precious Honey) #9

I suggest going back and listening to as many of the podcasts that you can from the 2 keto dudes. My favorite book as far as making things make sense and being an eye opener was Jason Fung the Obesity code and his complete guide to fasting book is also very good

(Christopher Avery) #10

Welcome @ibj9. You’ve come to a good and supportive place. This community has been valuable to me as I’ve gotten started.

Like @mich, I started the first week of May. My goal is to lose accumulated flab around the middle (around 25 lbs) while enjoying my way of eating (WOE). Except for a few water-weight pounds the first week, my weight has been steady, and that’s okay with me so far given what I’m learning about the keto lifestyle. I’m loving the WOE. And I’m enjoying some significant non-scale victories (NSV):

The major NSV is that my body appears to be recomposing – my clothes are looser, my pants button more easily. My face is thinner. That suggests I’m replacing fat with muscle even though I’m not exercising any differently (occasional walking and swimming). This will be a big deal over time. #Win.

Another NSV is my skin is so much smoother and healthier. I’ve had life-long issues with dry skin and eczema. I’m not yet going to claim victory over that, but it is so enjoyable to clasp my hands and feel truly smooth and healthy skin. This extends to scalp, face, arms etc. Much less rough and scaley. Much more smooth and lustrous. #Win.

In terms of coming to sense with “what to do” and what to pay attention to, I listened to 2ketodudes podcast for a few months before starting. I noticed two things: First, they repeat a core philosophy of keto over and over and over – less than 20 grams carbs, just enough protein, fat to satiety, electrolyte/H2O replacement, and n of 1 (everyone is different, so take responsibility for your own learning and experimentation). Along with their show-me-the-science approach, this gave me confidence in a simple and straight-forward approach. Second, they explore intersections with this philosophy (which can be inspiring, illuminating, and also distracting for a newbie). So I decided to adopt the core philosophy and stick to it for perhaps 3-6 months. I’ll learn how to buy foods, prepare them, eat out, etc. And I’ll notice the results. All of the other riffs that 2ketodudes go into is like having a palette of choices available to me when I’m ready to expand my choices

Finally, checking in here a couple of times a day is very comforting.

KCKO

Thank you again for your responses.

I did download about 10 of the 2ketodudes podcasts, and subscribed. I listened to the one of exogenous ketone supplements today because I’ve been taking them as recommended by a friend, (and yes it is an MLM). I told her I would try them for 2 months. However, it is through this process I came to research keto. I am skeptical of the supplements now…of course there is no magic pill.

I’ve been on the WOE (see what I did there!) for 16 days now. I will weigh and measure myself tomorrow. I am hoping for SOMETHING but overall am committed to 2-3 months. It was interesting the comment here where no weight was lost for 6 months but there is a whole body composition. Yikes. But the truth is, the excess weight did not come on overnight…at least for me…it’s a slow buildup for years.

Some of the information I’m not clear about, if anyone knows and could comment, is how long does it take for your body to re-balance if you have a non-keto evening? Say you had a glass of wine, and a taco, or a small piece of cake. Just wondering and trying to find info on it.
:wine_glass:

(Joan Hulvey) #12

Big difference between wine and cake/taco. A dry wine in moderation doesn’t interfere with ketosis for many, but cake will set you back and start cravings for more. I’m a fan of buying a cheap blood glucose meter (Relion Prime sold at Walmart has the cheapest test strips.) Check out typeonegrit on FB. Lowering your blood sugar is the best NSV that will serve you well no matter what your health challenges. Test before eating, then 1 and 2 hours following your meals to get an idea what foods are good for you. I also do a home HbA1c test monthly. It’s very empowering to see those numbers come down!

Worked 12 hours yesterday and didn’t get a chance to look up the things you referenced. Thank you and I’ll try today. :pray:t2:

(Laurie Ann Murabito) #14

Please share about your home HbA1C test.

(Joan Hulvey) #15

Walmart USED TO sell an at-home HbA1c test, Relion brand. It cost about $20 for two tests. They’ve discontinued it recently, perhaps in preparation for a new test that’s twice as costly, not sure. You can still purchase store brands from CVS or Walgreens. Initially I tested the at home A1c test along with a lab draw. The test results were the same, so I think it’s less variable than the glucose glucometers. I test monthly and have gone from a high of 6.1 to a low of 4.8. Weight loss during this time frame was 28 pounds. Faster in the beginning, then a crawl/stall for months. The positive A1c tests kept me motivated. Recently I switched to MAINLY meat to satiety without regard for extra fat, and I don’t add veggies or fruit. That broke the stall, resulting in my lowest weight since my marriage 16 years ago. I even got into my wedding dress!

Thank you for the info. I still don’t know what all that means. Boy would I like to be back to my weight 16 years ago…

I’ve been super busy at work, still eating keto, not logging…haven’t found an app I like yet. No weight change…no gain no loss. Feel good, knee and joints show the progress…meniscus is not healed, but for the most part no issues with walking and no pain to speak of.

I hope something good is happening inside…would love to see a little something on the outside…sigh.