Good recipe for bread/sandwiches?

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #1

I don’t miss bread a lot, but as dad of a a 8yo kid I’d like to spend some quality breakfasts with stuff she likes, and do the occasional waffle, bun or perhaps bake some buns/bread that she can take to school. And I’m quite happy with my keto cooking so far (I’m a decent cook), but completely failed to produce a reasonably good bread.

However, I haven’t found a good flour replacement yet. Almond flour is OK, but I have tried several recipes and buns/bread always end up very dense and they crumble easily, even with generous use of eggs and baking soda. What am I doing wrong? (And I have to keep oxalates low which makes almonds less than ideal.)

Coconut flour has a very intense taste and is fine for muffins, but not really for bread. Cassava flour is a nice replacement for wheat flour, but just as carby (just eliminates lectins&gluten). So, what’s the alternative? Linseed flour? Protein powder?

(bulkbiker) #2

chaffles?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #3

@FishChris

(Carnivore for the win) #4

I luv me some chaffles. Takes a few attempts to get them perfect, but there are many different recipes on this forum.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #5

I use chaffles - when cold they’re soft like bread, very neutral-tasting if you use a blended mix, and very easy to make into sandwiches to take to work.

For four chaffles (sandwiches for two people) I blend 2 large eggs, a teaspoon of butter, just under half a teaspoon of baking powder and four tablespoons of grated mozzarella.

My first foray into keto bread though was a Diet Doctor recipe. The rolls weren’t bad, but the texture was way better than the odd taste (salty soap). And they were a faff to make, whereas chaffles are more straightforward.

For me, chaffles are a game-changer. They’re great savory. Or sweet. And work well as bread or a bun. The basic recipe is 1 egg and 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, which would make two chaffles.

Check out the technique in this video

The Serious Keto YouTube channel has many videos with chaffle variations

My Chaffle Tools

To make my chaffles consistently, I put the mini-waffle maker on my kitchen scale and then do:

• 10 grams of shredded cheese
  • 25 grams of beaten egg (or batter)
  • 10 grams of shredded cheese

The cheese on the top and the bottom helps to keep the chaffles firm and crispy. And no overflow of contents making a mess because I eyeballed the amount of filling incorrectly. Oh, and don’t stack the chaffles if you make a number of them. It keeps the heat within them and makes them soft. I see some videos where they put them individually on a cooling rack. That helps the cheese crisp up as the chaffle cools.

The fun thing is watching the weight go down as the chaffle cooks, as water leaves as steam. When it hits 40 grams of weight, I know the chaffle is done. :slight_smile:

I bought this shaker bottle, so I can do a lot of eggs (or batter) at once, to store in the fridge so it’s ready to go. With my method of creating the chaffles, it’s much easier to dispense 25 grams of egg/batter out of that shaker cup.

I’ve tried a number of different recipes, but I keep coming back to the basic recipe above. It’s savory if I spread some Jalapeno cream cheese on it. Or sweet if I top it with SF maple syrup. I tried making some churro chaffles the other night, making a special batter, but I didn’t care for them. It turned out much better to just do the basic recipe and then cut into strips and toss into a Ziploc bag of granulated sweetener and cinnamon. MUCH better.

I typically use an Italian blend shredded cheese. But if I’m doing savory, I might go for a sharp cheddar.

I haven’t tried it yet, but the latest version is a “Wonder Bread” chaffle:

https://www.copymethat.com/r/xHZoi0w/chaffle-wonder-bread-revision

I even saw a recipe with a sourdough flavoring added. :slight_smile:

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #7

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll give those recipes a try, starting this weekend :slight_smile:

There are many options. Real bread with yeast and gluten, egg and almond but my actual fav is egg and boiled, shredded meat (well the only one I can eat on my carnivore trial).
Chaffles are good but too fatty for the role of bread I guess… But these all very individual, a newbie ketoer freshly out of a drastically different diet probably wants something very different from a veteran one who considers fat as a side dish :slight_smile: I only need some “bread” for my fattiest, richest food and it’s important that it isn’t too tasty or fatty. Not in macros, in feeling. Egg and boiled meat mixed and fried is borderline okay, fatty but not too much and it has a nice texture. I tried beef and fish this far, the non-egg ingredient had little flavor but the result was good and the subtle flavor suited the bread role. It’s probably not for people who dislike eggy taste. They may use only whites (oh that makes it less fatty too. and less tasty) or the bread with gluten.

I used to make oily seed wafers. I mixed different ground oily seeds and a bit water in a flat silicon bread mold and microwaved it for a while until the water evaporated and I could grab the crunchy result. It’s a tad tricky as it easily burns but some practice helped. I used these in the role of toast or ate it when I needed additional food, preferably something dry with my not very substantial soups.
They breaks easily so they aren’t good for sandwiches. Maybe if they aren’t as thin and crispy…?

I usually dislike the recipes everyone seem to adore on the internet so I always made my own stuff. Sometimes I like a recipe but need to make changes to improve taste or denseness (too much fluff isn’t my thing though the bouncy fluffyness of a bread with lots of fiber is interesting). Tastes differ…

Linseed is found often in keto or paleo “breads”, I like it too, it’s cheap, barely has any net carbs and doesn’t have some odd taste - but it’s not tasty alone, I typically mix it with various other oily seeds. I dislike linseed flour, I use ground linseed. Even the brown one is good for bread, I have golden ones too, a tad tastier, better for sweet things but the brown is almost as good, IMO. Some kids prefer golden just because the bread or whatever becomes lighter that way (unless we put a bunch of other darker seeds into it). Once I made a bread with lots of linseed and fiber. (And ate the whole little bunch, my fiber intake surely wasn’t low that day :D) Fiber is anti-dense. You put a lot of into the bread and it becomes something resembling a cloud… Unless you weigh it down with heavy, fatty seeds. Balance is important.

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #9

Ah, don’t tell me about it. I find that my daughter just wrinkles her little nose at a lot of the stuff I eat, especially anything that I consider a dessert. We can find common ground with berries and cream, but that’s about it :slight_smile:

Curious. My experience with almond flour is exactly the opposite. Guess it depends on the type of fiber.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #10

@Fruno you’ve just described my husband to a T, before he succumbed to ‘if you can’t beat them, join them!’ back in September, and started eating keto himself!

He now happily goes to work with a chaffle sandwich or a flask of keto soup!

(Admittedly he is perhaps a little older than your daughter!)

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #11

I eat so darn many eggs and so much cheese as it is, I really don’t want to use even more of it to make “bread-like” stuff.

I’ll just stick to my yeast risen keto bread. Still making a loaf or two of it every week. Mostly eat it as toast with my breakfast, but good for anything else that needs bread too

(Paulene ) #12

@FishChris Have you got a good recipe to share?
I dont really miss bread myself but giving up bread is what is keeping my husband from going low carb.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #13

(Paulene ) #14

Thanks @FishChris. Does your bread turn out the same as the loaf in the clip?
I’m going to try the bread machine version… just as soon as I can get hold of the ingredients.

I’m told this recipe is really good (and versatile): https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/low-carb-mozzarella-dough-4-ways/

I mean using LOTS of fiber (using pure enough fiber, not nut flours) is effective. Oily seed flours has some fiber but they can’t do the trick, usually, coconut flour is different as it absorbs much more water but the fibers (phyllium husk, oat fiber, bamboo fiber) absorb very much water and they make my bread very light and fluffy.

I made it sweet last time, it worked (though I made it too simple so I needed to eat it with other things but I have ideas for a more luxurious one). I always liked sweet breads as they aren’t only nice but require very little sweetness. I never liked using lots of sugar or any other sweetener.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #18

Yes, it always had. Recently, I started having issues with it trying to cave in after baking. Still tasted great, but made it not as pretty, or as good for making sandwiches. Now I’ve gone back to Anthony’s Vital Wheat Gluten (Amazon quite selling it for a while ?), and Anthony’s Oat Fiber. Will see if that fixes the problem.