Good morning everybody!

So…since I think I’ll be hanging out in the forums for a bit,I thought I’d introduce myself.
I am a mom and a teacher, an Austrian living in Germany, and I love hiking, running, cooking, sewing, museums and flamenco dancing. My life would be a lot poorer without my family and P.G. Wodehouse.

I know that keto works because I lost 12 kilos (that would be about 24 pounds, I suppose?) on it. Then I got pregnant and I got nauseous at the thought of fat and went back to eating carbs - and gained backall that weight. My daughter is now 4 and I think the most intense phase of baby rearing is over, so I want to get back into keto. I am 44 now, so the dread middle-age love handle stage is drawing nearer, and I really, really want to get to a point where I don’t have to worry about my weight.
I am very grateful to the 2 dudes and their guests because the podcast has given me much more insight on the science and I had a couple of lightbulb moments (“Carb cycle! That’s ME!”). I am basically looking for company and accountability buddies here. :slight_smile:

So, that’s me - I’m looking forward to getting to know you!

Cheers,
AD

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

Welcome to the forum! Good luck on your journey and feel free ask for support/info. (I’m 44 also and love to sew!)

(Rebecca ) #3

Welcome! Flamenco Dancing sounds awesome!!:boom:

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #4

Herzlich willkommen, AD!

I was about to type ‘I’m 44, too!’… but then remembered that I’m 45! :scream:

:rofl:

Welcome!
You are quite close to me, I am a 43 years old Hungarian woman :slight_smile:

So it’s your second time. You don’t have the novelty effect but maybe it will be easier this time (you have some experience, after all) and hopefully you will never find fatty food a bad idea again. I can’t even imagine, I ate lots of fat all my life, I needed it for satiation especially on carbier diets. But we are all different, I hope you will find your own way where you will feel right and can comfortably do it long term.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
It’s nice to find somebody who also likes sewing - unfortunately such a sedentary hobby, don’t you think? -, and flamenco, which I love because it frees the mind like meditation because I have to concentrate so much on getting the arms and the legs right. :smile:

Do you feel like I do, when I have to write my age it just sounds unnatural - I have been feeling like 25 for the last 20 years!

Shinita,you’re really close, I’m in Munich…I’ve been planning to travel to Budapest for a couple of years now, I went there in about 1990 and loved it, but a lot must have changed since then!

Okay, back to the keto thing - my main problem with it is that I don’t really like meat and I’m trying to cut down on dairy because poor cows. I was a vegetarian for many years (eating a lot of grains, of course), and it’s a bit of a challenge for me to come up with vegetarian/vegan keto recipes.
And now I’m going to prepare some sort of spinach with cream cheese and fried salmon for two, because the husband must be lured into this keto project, too! :slight_smile:

Take care, all, and have a lovely evening/day!
AD

Me too, well I feel like an excitable kid sometimes :smiley:

Close indeed, about 600 km as the birds fly…?
I lived on Budapest and didn’t like it. Many buildings are pretty and I loved the hills and it has a very central role (“everything is there” as it’s the biggest market in a small area) but it’s way too big for me, with those tall modern ugly buildings… Now I live between two small villages, surrounded with forests, there are lakes and little rivers! And Budapest isn’t very far if I totally want/need to visit it.

I plan to try (almost) carnivore but I never ate much meat and very, very, very little in the last 26 years (I was a vegetarian in the first 8), like, a few times per year. Almost none of my keto days contained meat and I usually try to avoid lactose. And I don’t eat dark green leaves :smiley: Challenges, I had them. But it wasn’t really hard, I love eggs, nuts, a little amount of vegetables is quite different from nothing, some cheese (even if one only eats lactose free harder ones) may help too and you even have some meat, I don’t know which kind you like or willing to eat, my fav is fatty pork, that can spice up eggs very nicely, even a tiny amount!
I am sure you can find good recipes.

Lucky, you have a chance with your husband… :smiley: Mine (not officially husband but my SO and we plan for several decades, it was only two this far) is a high-carber for life, I am 99% sure of it (just because I have a wild imagination).

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #8

I think I’ve been feeling 30 for the last 14 years. I’m not sure how a person is supposed to feel at any age but I’m okay with “happy” so I’m striving for that!

Yes, but I will say sometimes the standing, pinning, getting on the floor for cutting, etc feels like more work than I originally thought it would be, so that’s good. Then again, sometimes my eyes, fingers and back feels the brunt of hand work. The other night I cut 20 sets of double 8" squares and 20 squares of Zap and Wrap batting for some bowl cozies (pot holders sewn into a bowl shape) for my Grandma who is giving them out for the holidays. Now I have hours of stitching, snipping, turning right side out, pressing, tacking and listening to podcasts ahead of me!

Dancing is something I never got into. It sounds like fun!

(Susan) #9

Welcome to the forum @AustrianDudette

I wish you all the best in your Keto journey and please feel free to post any questions that you might have, we are all here to help.

I am 55, and have 5 kids and two grand children.

Thanks, Susan! As a mom of 5, you’ve become a hero of mine in an instant - I’d have loved a large family, but to actually raise 5 kids…wow. *bows down

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #11

Welcome to the forum. So glad you are here. I live in the USA but my youngest is in school in Freiburg Germany this fall.

[quote=“PetaMarie, post:8, topic:95471”]
I think I’ve been feeling 30 for the last 14 years. I’m not sure how a person is supposed to feel at any age but I’m okay with “happy” so I’m striving for that!

=> I think thirty makes a lot of sense - not totally naive any more (as at least I used to be up to my mid-twenties), but full of energy!

Yes, but I will say sometimes the standing, pinning, getting on the floor for cutting, etc feels like more work than I originally thought it would be, so that’s good. Then again, sometimes my eyes, fingers and back feels the brunt of hand work. The other night I cut 20 sets of double 8" squares and 20 squares of Zap and Wrap batting for some bowl cozies (pot holders sewn into a bowl shape) for my Grandma who is giving them out for the holidays. Now I have hours of stitching, snipping, turning right side out, pressing, tacking and listening to podcasts ahead of me! [/quote]

=> Oh, that sounds so fiddly…I don’t like that stage of making quilts, but at least they are large in size and not as fiddly as smaller projects. Your Grandma must be very glad to have you help with the presents!

Oh Freiburg! Such a nice city! Are you planning on visiting? We went there a couple of years ago and really liked it - it has a sort of homey old town feel but is also very vibrant and young because of the university.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #14

We dropped her off in Germany after visiting Frankfurt, Paris, Strasbourg, Kehl and Freiburg.

My wife and I visited about 15 years ago and spent time in Freiburg. We had so much fun. What a great city.

My daughter has been traveling for 10 days with school and will be back tomorrow. She is so excited to see the christmas market in Freiburg.

BTW - my wife is 1/4 Austrian and 3/4 German 2nd generation immigrant in the USA.

If you need help with keto just ask on this forum. We are here to help.

(Marianne) #15

Welcome!

You can do this, and it can be way easier than you think. My recommendations:

• eat three meals a day to start, even if you never did, and do it until you feel you can naturally skip meals without any cravings, hunger or compulsion to eat.

• eat clean food (nothing processed)

• keep carbs under 20 g/day, and lower if you can

• no snacking

• weigh yourself in the beginning but then stay off the scale (the scale can really mess you up, and take up too much of your thoughts and energy depending on where it is)

• drink sufficient amount of water and get enough salt (you will probably have to supplement)

Good luck. I’m am 60, but feel like 30 in my head. Keto has been such a gift. So many benefits besides just weight loss.

(back and doublin' down) #16

Welcome, AD! Happy for you to have found a way of nutrition that meets your goals and that brought you here to the community. Lots of supportive folks and encouraging moments to go along on your journey.

I’m 55, have two grown boys, two beautiful daughters in love and a grandchild. I think I feel 55! LOL…and I’ve always said each decade gets better and better. Keto has really turned around my 50s for sure!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #17

:clap::clap::clap:

(Denise OBrien) #18

LOL! And…I love Wodehouse! So funny - my favorite:
I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.

Keep up the great keto work!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

:notes: Wilkommen, bienvenue, welcome! . . . " :musical_note:

Glad to have you as part of the forums. Do keep us updated on your progress.

I also want to welcome you me you to the forums! While I don’t post as often as I once did, I find this a welcoming, supportive and informative place to hang out.

I’m 56, but since starting Keto 15 or so months ago, feel closer to 25 or 30 years old.