Gonna start my first (hopefully) week-long fast...(kinda long and rambly)

(Robin Lea Fritche) #22

267.6 this morning…

Whenever I don’t eat all the greens before a fast (and I know that my family is not likely to finish them off) I am thankful that we have pet guinea pigs.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

I was talking with a friend after church about keeping chickens (our new house came complete with a henhouse on the property), and she says they can eat any food garbage. She said she likes being able to turn her “garbage into eggs.”

Yes, that too! My sister has chickens and we always save our food waste for her to feed them. So if the greens are too far gone for the guinea pigs to eat, the chickens get them (and all kinds of other leftovers and food going bad). In return, my sister shares the chicken eggs with us, and they are so good!

(Robin Lea Fritche) #26

Do they eat grapefruit? I don’t eat them all the time, but I had gone to the store and picked up a couple because I really love them. And then I put off eating them and put off eating them… Plus I had fresh tomatoes from my aunt and uncle’s garden and I just love those. My dad has chickens, but they don’t seem to like citrus. I don’t buy citrus very often, but I do love grapefruit. I don’t add anything to it but I know it’s still a lot of carbs. I was doing some cheating before I finished listening to The Obesity Code and I had bought those…but then I wanted to start experimenting.

(Robin Lea Fritche) #27

266.4 this morning. I didn’t get a Monday morning weight because I was not at home.

I broke my fast late Sunday night, after 7 days and about 4 hours. I’m sure I could have gone longer, but I was gone from home all day and went to several different places…and didn’t get any salt. I need salt…this is something I’ve discovered when eating keto as well. I feel like craaaaap if I don’t get salt.

So, even though I had pink salt with me most of the day, I didn’t consume any. And then it hit me when I was in Chicago with my friend (I only had my purse, so no salt available). I got light-headed and felt sick…and no matter how much water I drank, I had cotton mouth. It didn’t help that I was exerting lots of energy, belting my lungs out and dancing at karaoke. I was sweating a lot. By the time we finally got back to his car and then drove back to Milwaukee, I felt like I had let it go on too long and perhaps I would get better if I had enough salt, but it might take a little while. I didn’t really want it to ruin the night. I asked him if he had some almonds and I ate a few of them and took some salt. I felt a lot better after that.

Yesterday, all I ate during the day was a few almonds and peanuts because Mondays are so ridiculously busy and that’s what I had available in my desk. Then, I went to the store to buy supplies for an egg fast, and that was maybe not the best idea just in the sense that after making a quiche I felt like I needed to eat some. Especially since even though I had followed the directions and every other time I’ve made some sort of egg bake I always end up having to leave it in much longer than the recipe says, it was actually overdone. I had to try it, of course, to make sure I didn’t ruin the whole thing. I put a whole dozen eggs into it and grated 8 oz of cheese… Melted butter and softened cream cheese… Unfortunately since I let it go too long and it was puffing up, quite a lot of the butter ended up at the bottom of the oven. I figure I’m going to have to add butter to every piece. I wish I knew how much I had to add. Next time I make that I’m going to check it at 30 minutes instead of 45.

The plan was to start the egg fast today, but I guess there are more tomatoes and like I said, I love homegrown tomatoes. I won’t get any more after this. So maybe I will spend the day eating things like that. I was really expecting to have gone up in weight after breaking my fast, especially since I ate quiche last night. I’m pleasantly surprised.

Hmm, not sure. We generate a lot of lemon and lime rinds here making homemade sodas with the Sodastream, and my sister said the chickens don’t go for those. We do throw uneaten pieces of oranges in for them though. I have heard chickens don’t eat celery, but I think my sister’s chickens do. Maybe it just depends on the bird. N=1 for chickens!

(Robin Lea Fritche) #29
  1. Meh. I did start eating again, and I did eat a whole grapefruit (omg it was like the sweetest thing I’ve ever tasted at this point hahaha). Not starting the egg fast because I failed to eat the other grapefruit and the tomatoes. Too much food.

I’m gonna do egg fast starting tomorrow and then keto/IF for a few weeks… And then I’m gonna go a longer fast again, I think.

(Robin Lea Fritche) #30

266.6. I did not start the egg fast yet. I am eating mostly eggs, but yesterday I had 3 small tomatoes and a pork chop, and today I am really gone try to eat my last grapefruit.

Whenever I eat eggs with the requisite amount of fat added, I feel sick. :frowning: Like, I just want to hurl. I don’t know if I can do an egg fast.

(KCKO, KCFO) #31

Try hard boiled eggs made into deviled eggs. The mayo might be more gentle on your stomach. Since it is a fast, just the basics, some salt and pepper, maybe paprika, on them along with the mayo. I am assuming you would make your own mayo of course, as all the commercial stuff has the wrong oils in them.

(Robin Lea Fritche) #32

I made some of the recipes I found and I tried them, but even though they were initially delicious, ugh. After a while it was gross. Too much fat. So I didn’t last on that egg fast. I couldn’t bring myself to eat as much as you’re supposed to. I do love deviled eggs, though, and once I have the time to make some mayo, I’ll try that.

I have since done another two day fast and a five day (cut shorter only for social reasons). No ill effects. I rather like fasting…just wish people would stop freaking out when I don’t eat.

I’m going for another week, starting probably tomorrow. I’ve been eating terribly. Too much social stuff, indulging. I notice I feel a lot less sleepy and sluggish when I’m fasting! I just need to find time to make sure I’m ready with keto stuff for the times I eat. My schedule is insane!

(Kevin Takahashi) #33

Hey Robin!

Enjoy your week-long fast!

I’m ~50 hours into a ~150 hour fast myself - Sat 8am - Friday ~7pm. (water, coffee, electrolytes).

(Robin Lea Fritche) #34

Gracias! I’m, I dunno, maybe 54-55 hours in. I didn’t take exact note of when I swallowed my last bite. :wink:

I’m just doing water and electrolytes, unless I get myself organized enough to actually make tea. I just find it amazing that I’ve done this before and it was FINE. I used to feel like I’d die if I slept right up till the last second and then left the house for work without bringing any food with me. I kind of like freaking people out by telling them how long it’s been since I’ve eaten. Hahaha.

(Kevin Takahashi) #35

Way to go! :+1:

Glad you’re feeling fine - that’s what this is about (healing, not punishment).

I’m about 100 hours in myself, and am going until dinnertime Friday (so another 56-ish to go), 'cause I’m not missing Ribeye Fridays! :slight_smile:

(Robin Lea Fritche) #36

I’m definitely all about healing! I have IBS and my digestive system just needs a break, so that’s a bonus. I’m hungry, but that’s okay. I know I’ll eat eventually, and I can stop this anytime I need to.

Oh, a ribeye steak sounds lovely…

(Kevin Takahashi) #37

Yuuup! I love my ribeye Fridays! :slight_smile:

Just checking in - how’s your fast going?

(Robin Lea Fritche) #38

Going okay. I know I’m not drinking enough water. I’m busy going crazy with only 4 days left before I have to have all my stuff done for school. I’ll continue through the weekend, I hope, though I know my mom will try to entice me with delicious food. She does this. She doesn’t like that I’m fasting and she just always tries to feed me in general!

Enjoy that ribeye tomorrow!!!

(What The Fast?!) #39

Same girl, same.

Also, same!

How is it going? Has the weight stayed off?

(Robin Lea Fritche) #40

It hasn’t, because I’ve been eating badly. I’m lower than when I started, but not by a hell of a lot. I’ve done a 7-day and a 5-day as well as at least a couple two-day fasts, but when I start eating again, that’s when is an issue lol. There are too many things I love and people offer them to me.

I’m super tempted to eat today. I really want to. But other than my usual exhaustion I’m fine. I really wanted to extend my personal record, which would require going beyond Sunday night.

Usually being super busy helps me not care about eating but it just occurred to me that I tend to do a lot of stress eating at the end of a semester, while I’m finishing my projects in a panic. Snacks comfort me (a favorite is tortilla chips and hummus). I suppose I could run to the store and get a bunch of veggies and hummus so it’s a bit better, but I’d be happier with myself in the long run if I did not eat at all this weekend. I’m 2-3 hours shy of five full days. Saturday and Sunday are gonna be hard because I’m staying home and trying to work, and home is already super distracting, and then on top of it my mind will wander to Snack Land. Ugh.

(Kevin Takahashi) #41

Checking in again - how’s the fast going, and how are you feeling?