Going to a Greek Restaurant

(Jody) #1

We have Greek on Friday nights and I had it all worked out when I was Keto … but I have moved to Carnivore and I am wondering what to do. I usually get the Kabobs (1 beef and 1 lamb … don’t eat the couple of veggies) which should still be just fine. I was thinking of ordering a half pound of Gyro to finish it up, but there are some binders from the non-animal sources. This is the ingredient list (we had our waitress get us the ordering info so we could look it up last week).

INGREDIENTS: Beef, Cereal (Corn, Wheat and Rye Flours), Water, Lamb, Seasonings (Monosodium Glutamate, Spices, Onion, Garlic, Maltodextrin), Salt, Lemon Juice Concentrate.

I see the flours, but the carbs are still low enough that it [would have] worked for Keto.

As a different a thought:

I can skip the Gyro and have 6oz of heavy whipping cream later. The carbs are almost the same … BUT it would be carbs from an all animal source.

Suggestions or comments?

(We do already get the fried cheese as an appetizer)
(We are heading to a Brazilian Steak house tomorrow for dinner so the meats will flow!!)

EDIT:

After mulling it over, I believe I am going for the Gyro as I believe that given the carbs are about the same, it would be better to have them from a meat source.

(Chris) #2

Here’s what I would do if it was me: either fast and deal with the funny looks and having to explain, or just eat the gyro, and be extra strict afterward. No need to punish yourself. :slight_smile:

(Chris) #4

I do love me a BR steakhouse!

(Candy Lind) #5

Not for me, since I have to be really strict and 4 oz. would be half my carbs for the day. But it’s your n=1, and if it works for you, go for it. Thanks for the heads up so I won’t get that if we do Mediterranean. :slight_smile:

I love a Brazilian Steakhouse…Too bad the closest one to me is approx. 5-6 hours away! :frowning:

(bulkbiker) #7

2 beef 2 lamb kabobs and forget the carbs …?

(Jody) #8

I thought about that, but it wouldn’t be economical. The amount of meat would not equal the price… By a long shot.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Personally, I’d go with the heavy cream instead of the gyro, but that’s just me. But if you do get the gyro, don’t eat the pita bread, lol! :smiley: :bacon:

(Elizabeth ) #10

Technically your carbs are not coming from meat source is coming from corn wheat and rye. I would find more pure meat products and eat those screw the cream that’s not going to be great for your gut.

(Ethan) #11

That’s sad… we have at least 6 within an hour

(Steve) #12

How is it that there’s nothing listed underneath the total carb number on that nutritional label? If there’s 10g of Carbs, but 0 Fibre and 0 Sugar, what’s it composed of?

The recipe I have for gyro meat doesn’t have any flour in it whatsoever…just lamb, beef and spices.

(Jody) #13

Sugar and fiber are sub categorizes of carbs but not the ONLY thing that make up the total carbs. The flours are carbs themselves but they don’t contain sugar or fiber.

For a restaurant, I figured they would use a binder to keep the meat together as it would be faster and easier.

(Jody) #14

Thanks for all the replies. Since it was only my 4th day in carnivore (though I did already show a 5lb loss), I decided to have the gyro and kabobs and be happy. I ate no other breads or veggies, so I am good with the choices for last night.

We do this weekly so next week I will have some other meats at home before or after and only have the true meat kabob there.

Now tonight at the Brazilian Steak … The meats will be plentiful !!

(Victoria Mc Coy) #15

Share that recipe, please, Steve?

(Steve) #16

Done. :slight_smile: (took me a bit to find it, then calculate the macros).

(Victoria Mc Coy) #17

Thanks, Steve!