Going out with friends

(Sexy) #1

Going to restaurants is challenging especially with friends. How will I cope?

(MooBoom) #2

Burger without the bun
Salmon/Steak with a creamy sauce and steamed low carb veg on the side
Stir fried protein and veg, no sauce
Caesar salad hold the croutons

Basically stick to some form of protein and veg and ask for butter on the side if there isn’t a creamy sauce option.

(Running from stupidity) #3

If they’ve got stuff you can eat, eat that. If not, don’t eat.

(MooBoom) #4

Other strategies to consider are:

1. (as @juice said) don’t eat anything if there’s no keto option
  2. eat a large keto meal before going out so you aren’t tempted and tell your friends you had a ‘big breakfast/lunch’ (whichever applies) and order a coffee- black is ideal or if you have a milky coffee you’ll need to switch from cows milk (too high in carbs) to a non dairy option i.e. almond milk
  3. pack purse snacks if your friends won’t find that too weird (pork rinds, low carb veg, cheese, salami etc)
  4. check the menu online first if you know where you’re going and check what options are ok for you, call the restaurant with questions if you have to.
  5. try to choose a restaurant that is happy to customise meals for their clients. They want your custom after all, perhaps they can make you something keto off menu? I wouldn’t try this at a chain restaurant but I’ve found loads of places are super happy to accomodate off menu eating.
  6. if possible, choose a restaurant or cafe that offers all day breakfast. Can’t go wrong with bacon and eggs!

(Alec) #5

I always treat it as a challenge to eat as keto as possible in a restaurant.

1. I have often been looked at strangely when asked whether I want some bread: “No, but can I please have the butter?”
  2. “Butter chicken and beef vindaloo, but no rice and no naan please”. “No rice???” “Nope!”
  3. ‘Burger with no bun please”. (Example below)
  4. I am actually in a cafe writing this, and below is what I ordered… beef curry and frittata.
  5. “get me the biggest and best steak in the house! With a large serve of butter!”

There is always the possibility of getting hidden carbs in restaurants. No biggie, just avoid the obvious carbs. You’ll be fine! You will, though, continuously have carbs thrown at you, because they are cheap and have high margins: “Would you like fries with that?”

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

Do your homework beforehand, Sexy. Every chain restaurant and even many non-chains have an online menu. Most fast food places even have full nutrition info. Look it up! Find the most keto-compatible item(s) and order that. If it’s a ‘spur of the moment’ thing, order a plain cheeseburger with half a dozen pats of butter on the side and toss the bun; chicken caesar with half a dozen pats of butter on the side and toss the croutons; any grilled meat or fish with half a dozen pats of butter on the side. Do you see the pattern? Grilled salmon, don’t need any extra butter but it doesn’t hurt. :sunglasses:

(Alec) #7

I always need extra butter :joy::joy::joy:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

You only need something to support the butter. AND, I don’t need to but I always put butter on the salmon, too.

(Alec) #9

The only support I need is a spoon.

(MooBoom) #10

(Troy) #11

I choose
Don’t go
Stay home
Save money
Just sayin🙂

It’s Hammer Time
I mean it’s Hermit Time!

Great advice from others above as well

Enjoy

(Alec) #12

Now you’re talking. My favourite time…

Going out with friends and being a ketogenic eater is a fun conversation starter, if they are all carboholics. Look forward to it. Vegan cafe’s can be more challenging environments than an Argentinean Steakhouse.

(Carl Keller) #14

Meat, fish, vegetables and salad are your keto friendliest choices in restaurants. If it comes with a sauce, ask for it on the side. Like @MooBoom, I prefer to arrive at social functions in a recently fed state so that even if I do eat something a bit high in carbs, I don’t each much of it.

(Fast Freddy) #15

Huh?

So you don’t eat the following:

Big ole Steak and Veggies
Burgers without the bun, with Avocado
Salads with oil and vinegar
Chicken
Fish
Steamed Veggies with Butter
Sausage
Eggs & Bacon Cheese Omelette
Any fatty meat

Options are endless really…

(hottie turned hag) #16

Pithy and perfect :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Really no other replies needed.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

Any real restaurant prides itself on being able to serve customers whatever food they request.

Diners!! :100: