Going nuts on nuts

oh yes I SO get you on that.

we ALL have issues we face. Not one doubt about that. Our personalities, our stress in our lives, our LIVES and what we deal with so of course I absolutely agree with you that the ONE nut became many because of a situation that was somehow a trigger or ? for you…and yes I have been in that zone!

key being…face that issue. As in when I deal with triggers all we can do is face the trigger head on and SOME want to handle it and others say, ahhh, for the small amt of time in my life this might go down I am ok as I am but still learns ways to change themselves.

I always say I am a work in progress cause I too ‘got issues’ just like you and I ain’t doing no therapy or this or that to handle them, but NOW I SEE them for what there are in my life, how the effect me and I go off and research ‘my issues’ a bit and find out new ways to cope or this or that so that is my ‘kinda work in progress’ to change me cause it ain’t all about food in our lives ever. We all got baggage of whatever on us!

So get your post M!

(Marianne) #42

It depends on who I’m with. Some friends I’m more comfortable with than others, and those gatherings I enjoy. This was a group that I see relatively infrequently and it was pushing my buttons to some degree. I find, too, that my “window” of sociability is about three hours and this extended beyond the point where I was comfortable.

oh yes I KNOW it works, I ain’t one to cook and ever give food that amt of time in my life kinda thing. Not a chef, don’t wanna be LOL

Ya know in general, fresh or frozen I cooked me at all levels of ‘I NEED FOOD’ now and I stick it in a pan and cover sometimes with a lid if frozen to ‘defrost’ fast and then I super heat and I gotta say, EVERY damn meat I had when I was hungry was stellar, but meh in texture or suited me, but every single darn meal made me happy as a clam I got it down my gullet and into the tummy and I said, ok was it a 10? nope, a 7, nah, this one was a 4 maybe I am full, happy, done and enjoying life so…that is how my food focus kinda now goes for me personally.

(Denise) #44

I can relate, hard to find “friends” or especially people that are good communicators, as well as share some of my interests that I would enjoy having someone to do those things with. I just keep doing them on my own though as I refuse to totally hibernate. Going to the gym has helped me be around people but yet there isn’t much socializing, and can’t find a buddy to workout with, ride bikes with or even do walks. Most folks my age are married and even if retired are busy with kids and grandkids, great-grandkids :wink: I have no family, not nearby anyway.

yea that is a toughie in that what do you love to do?
love sewing, find some sew circle activity. yea I would look up on the internet my location and research ‘volunteer’ for this or that.
Love animals, ASPCA or ANY animal rescue near your location would gladly accept some of your time for the animals, plus more animal based then human based but ya got alot in common with the humans, you all love and wanna help critters!
Or you love hiking. I do. I looked up ‘go hike with me’ or something like that and they can pinpoint your area and find you a group to meet at a state park locally near ya and you just meet a few people and hike a trail.

Or or or…ya just gotta wanna do it.

I know tho GG in that the issues we face take our own personal strengths to move thru but I understand on it. All next moves ever tho are from you IF you want it bad enough :sunny:

(KCKO, KCFO) #46

Oh, I have to try that pecans are my favs, this sounds delicious.

(KCKO, KCFO) #47

That does not sound like fun to me. Cashews are the highest in carbs, the O6 content is high also, I stick with pecans, macadamia and walnuts. Hubby still eats cashews so they are around but I am not tempted to eat them at all.

And dear OP, I love them way too much. I have to be very strict with them. As for nut based recipes, almost all the keto/low carb breads use almond or coconut, or some more expensive exotic alternatives to wheat based breads. Here is a good place to start looking: https://www.dietdoctor.com › low-carb › keto › recipes › bread

(Rebecca ) #48

$20 a pound?? Yikes!! We pay $6.99 at the local butcher.

(Ohio ) #49

Nitrate free?
Sugar free?

(Jane) #50

I don’t think there is such a thing as nitrate-free bacon. Is it pink? Then it is cured with an extract from celery that is… natural nitrates. But since not adding a chemical they get away with stating “nitrate-free” on the label.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #51

Not to mention there are many vegetables we are supposed to be eating, because they are “healthy,” that contain far more nitrates than even cured bacon does. And these plant nitrates are the exact same chemicals as the nitrates in the meat (some of them even came from plants, lol!). Yet the meat nitrates cause cancer, but the plant ones don’t?

(Ohio ) #52

So is Applegate nitrate free? I’m just going by ingredient lists.

(Jane) #53

If it lists celery juice or powder in the ingredient list… then no. It’s a labeling loophole they take advantage of.

(Jane) #54

I looked up the label on my favorite bacon (Burgers) and it lists salt, brown sugar, pepper and sodium nitrate. Pretty basic ingredients.

The carb count is 0 for 2 slices, which is what I typically eat. That means it is less than 0.5 carbs for 2 slices so not enough sugar to concern me. YMMV.

You are paying double for sugar-free bacon with added natural nitrates to save 0.25 carbs per slice. Your choice, of course!

girl? 2 slices? I am a lb. or 2 when I hit bacon :sunny:

but I agree, packaging and hype to up price is key when buying. Most of us get just that.

you want processed package bacon it does come ‘with these issues’ and we can label read til the world ends, but PROCESSED for us means just that.

this is me. local cheap bacon and I thrived on this stuff, no one is getting a dime more out of me for processed, LOL

image000000%20(17)

NOW KEY HERE IS I THRIVE on this product. If one is not thriving on buying any processed then one must change product, watch ingred lists or do without or ?? but that is a very personal walk to each of us.

I can understand not wanting added sugar in our food, I only allow a few very very tempting item with sugar in it and I usually avoid those too…
But if some processed stuff I consider helpful contains 0.5% sugar that I can’t even taste, so be it. I am not sensitive, I eat much more natural sugar so it’s mostly about the taste at that point.

Good thing I don’t like bacon much. I like sausage and it has no added sugar, at least not the ones I buy and price has nothing to do with that. Another reason to like sausage.

I have no problem with a tiny nitrite, I don’t live on processed stuff just have some here and there. I do what I comfortably can but my body never had it this easy ever, it can handle the remaining tiny problems :slight_smile: If I threw, like, vegs every day to it, it would suffer more.
And I may eat fruit way too often but I still hate added sugar… (I dislike most of the sugar in sweet fruits too at this point but this is complicated.)

If someone is sensitive to nitrite or believe they are and it bothers them, they can do things differently.

NITRITE free bacon is available, but it is more expensive (about a 3rd more).

It’s produced close to where I live:

Nitrite free bacon launches in major British breakthrough for food safety - Finnebrogue Artisan

(Jane) #58

I will give you that brand - doesn’t look like they use celery as a substitute for sodium nitrate. :+1:

I have never seen a brand like that in the US, but haven’t looked at bacon labels lately. Even if there was one, it likely wouldn’t be available where I live in the sticks in BFE Arkansas. But I don’t worry about nitrates personally so nothing I would look for.

I was curious about the distinction between dieatary content of nitrates and nitrites.

" When taken into the body by drinking water and through other dietary sources, nitrate and nitrite can react with amines and amides to form N-nitroso compounds (NOC), which are **known to cause cancer in animals and may cause cancer in humans."
Nitrate | Cancer Trends Progress Report

" Are nitrites cancerous?
Nitrates and nitrites are not themselves carcinogenic; nevertheless, they have the potential (during the endogenous pathway as well as processing of food) to react with other compounds to form carcinogens."

"

Nitrates/Nitrites in Food—Risk for Nitrosative Stress and Benefits

Nitrates/Nitrites in Food—Risk for Nitrosative Stress and Benefits - PMC (nih.gov)